Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 16:55

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

A trip through my family tree is very similar. Heart disease, diabetes, alzheimer's, gout, obesity.... if there is a disease caused or made worse by a diet high in carbohydrates, we got it. Of course all of my relatives were told to cut fat, drink skim milk, eat less meat, and get plenty of whole grains. Then they were given a pile of pills to keep them alive.

Yikes!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 18:02

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I was on 2 pills for high blood pressure and well on my way to diabetes. Because of atkins I"m down to a half a pill and no diabetes worries.
I started the diet from listening to the advice of others and then I read 2 of the books. Amazing information.
Last trip to the Doctor and he asked me what diet I was using. I didn't want to tell him!!! He was actually excited I was doing a lc diet and he's been on one for over 10 years!!
Good luck in your search for knowledge!
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 11:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldade55
Most people will not give up processed carbs and processed fats event though their lives may literally depend on it. The physical and psychological attachments are just too strong.

Very true; I know a couple of people who would love to lose some weight, but I know they are thinking, But what would I do? For entertainment, for love, for breaks, for something to look forward to?

When I want orange loaf cake with toffee cream cheese frosting, as I did this morning, I make it and I eat it for a week and I'm done. And this is something made with eggs and butter and nut flour and a scant amount of Splenda; it's so much better for me than the actual item.

And I'm happier and healthier.

But people have to believe it... before they go after it.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 16:56

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
... orange loaf cake with toffee cream cheese frosting...

Sorry for this aside but--do you have a recipe, because this sounds like WOW, for when I'm done with Induction of course. Thanks in advance
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 11:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

My pet peeve is not people who say Atkins didn't work for them even though it is clear from talking to them or reading their comments that they didn't do it right. A first tipoff is when they talk about Atkins being high protein. My peeve is with those people who had a friend or relative get sick or even die while on the Atkins, and they consequently attribute the death or sickness to the diet with no additional proof.

Some of the most strident vegans I've met seem to have a similar experience in their background. I've asked a couple of them if there has ever been a person eating a vegan or vegetarian diet who got any type of cancer, and if so, why do you not attribute their cancer to the diet like you do with Atkins? Maybe I'm hanging around too many Birkenstock wearers?
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 13:14

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz
Maybe I'm hanging around too many Birkenstock wearers?

I read that in my Birkenstocks
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 14:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've seen a lot of thin people say it doesn't work for them (self included in the past)...but really it is because they aren't patient enough...when you are thin, it takes time to lose weight.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 11:59

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkles
I've seen a lot of thin people say it doesn't work for them (self included in the past)...but really it is because they aren't patient enough...when you are thin, it takes time to lose weight.

Umm, if they are thin, why are they trying to lose weight? I've seen several women I know harm themselves by going ultra-thin.......they are essentially starving, but don't know it, but their skin color and tone, loss of muscle, and hairloss really tells the truth, whatever they claim about how they feel. mybe their vision has deteriorated to the point they can't see what is in the mirror in front of them?
LOL,
sollyb
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 03:21

Stats: 260/215/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Default what is "SAD"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
A lot of the people I know who say this usually should say
"Substituting artificially low-carb frankenfoods for my favorite high-carb frankenfoods didn't work for me."

I have known people on both ends of the spectrum. Some started on Atkins and bought all the "Atkins-friendly" products, lost some weight and went back to eating the old way (and gained the weight back). Others started on Atkins and decided that SAD really was what was killing them and began eating something akin to Paleo-light, lost the weight and kept it off.

Someone please help me, what "SAD" mean in this post?
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 05:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZumbaGirl
Someone please help me, what "SAD" mean in this post?

Standard American Diet.

It reminds me when some of my husband's relatives remarked, with a couple of years between seeing me, that I looked really good and had lost weight. He proudly shared that I had been faithful to Atkins and that was why. Their reply was, "Oh yes, that works, but you have to stay on it."

My reply (though not to their face)? "Duh!"
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 06:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Good thing this thread is still going. I remember when I first went all-meat, I had the idea that if all-meat didn't work, then maybe we should look at other underlying conditions that could prevent it from working. Well, it applies here with Atkins too. In spite of all our efforts, in spite of following instructions to the letter, if we fail, maybe we should look at other underlying conditions that could prevent it from working as it should.

Back then, I didn't really have any specific idea about those other conditions. But now I do. Some of those conditions include insulin-induced lipohypertrophy, chronic infection leading to chronic inflammation leading to chronic hyperinsulinemia (that's my problem most likely), some drugs and medications, to name a few. Recently I watched Taubes argue with Gardner and he cited one instance (I believe it's also in GCBC) where one person went all-meat and lost weight, but just one apple a day caused the weight loss to stop.

Anyway, the point is that maybe it doesn't work not because they didn't actually try it, but because they did try it but they still have something else going on that prevents it from working as it should.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

A friend of mine "tried" atkins a few weeks ago. I asked her the other day how she was getting on (she didnt look any thinner??!), she said it didnt work for her!! She went on about how it obviously only works for certain people...blah.... On further discussion, she admitted that she was still having 2 spoonfuls of sugar and milk in her coffee and tea (Its horrible without it) and couldnt resist having a pizza with the family (she didnt eat it all tho), oh and she did have a mars bar....!!! DUH!

Jo xxxx
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 12:40

Stats: 260/215/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Standard American Diet.

"

Of Course! Silly me! Thanks. I tried to google it, but it didn't come up.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 16:53

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

It "stopped working" for me around the time I was perimenopausal. I think hormones play a role, and women going through menopause have hormonal fluctuations and changes that could account for that. Insulin isn't the only hormone that is in play.

Anyway, what worked for me was eating lean proteins, not too much of it, and not adding extra fat. And lots of high-nutrient veggies.

Atkins is like any other diet. It will work for some but not everybody. Just like a Weight Watchers type plan will work for some people and not others. You have to find what works and it's an ongoing experiment with your own body.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 17:12

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
A friend of mine "tried" atkins a few weeks ago. I asked her the other day how she was getting on (she didnt look any thinner??!), she said it didnt work for her!! She went on about how it obviously only works for certain people...blah.... On further discussion, she admitted that she was still having 2 spoonfuls of sugar and milk in her coffee and tea (Its horrible without it) and couldnt resist having a pizza with the family (she didnt eat it all tho), oh and she did have a mars bar....!!! DUH!

Jo xxxx

This is so common, but it takes many tries to change almost any habit. Ask any smoker or alcoholic how many tries it takes to make permanent changes. It's tough. I'd go easy on your friend. If she's not ready, she's not ready. No judgment. It's just where she is right now. Good for her for trying.