Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 20:22

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I think that you forgot a group of us...those of us who followed Atkins, moved onto OWL and worked the carb ladder, moved into pre & maintenace--lost the weight and keeping it off. And although I advocate whole foods--I will openly admit to an occasional frankenfood.

Lisa,

No offense was intended.

As I said, both ends of the spectrum. There's a wide variance in between. I know a woman who stuck to Atkins-strict like a fiend, lost the [significant amount of] weight and occasionally cheats. She returns to induction if she gains more than a few pounds. But, she isn't on the spectrum ends, which is where the "Atkins didn't work" people typically lie. =)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 20:39
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
Lisa, No offense was intended. As I said, both ends of the spectrum.

None taken.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 21:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
My bff says atkins didn't work for her, never bought the book, or looked up anything on the net about it. Now shes 80lbs overweight going on weight watchers in January.

Yes! That's exactly what I mean.

It's so annoying. Though I have shut down a lot of the naysayers just by hanging in there and lowcarbing these last six years; and nothing bad has happened
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-10, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 285/259/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 18%

Atkins didn't work for me. I read the book followed it. Low carb works wonders for me, and I think in OWL I'd probably do fine because that's basically what I do anyway. Induction on the other hand.... Although I followed it, I believe I definitely need more carbs to function. I had to count my veggies.. really? limiting my amount of salad greens, and shying away from carrots.

My average low carb meal is however much green veg I want, plus 4-8oz. of meat. The veggies would fill me up. On induction I found myself having to cut down considerably on veggies, but upping meat and fats, to get my carbs as low as they needed to be.

Could be I missed something, who knows. But I'm ok without it. Everything doesn't work for everyone in exactly the same ways.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 08:31
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Warning women's issues mentioned!!

Low carb hasn't worked for me so far for weight loss, but I'm sure it will, and I believe in the science. It has helped with health and with binge eating.

I've been low carbing for 5 months now and the only weight I've lost is the initial loss on atkins induction, and when I was eating less than 500 calories a day due to stomach problems.

I've read every low carb book I could get my hands on, as well as many of the low carb blogs.

For some of the time I thought the drug amitryptilline was having an effect as it seems that it has an effect on the endocrine system and people have huge problems losing weight while on it, I was also having problems with hypoglycaemia symptoms, so I stopped the drug.

It wasn't a solution but I think it was the right decision. I continued to have hypoglycaemic episodes in the last two weeks of menstrual cycle.

I got a blood glucose monitor to see what was happening to my blood sugar, with the hope of an indication of what my insulin levels were doing - I have PCOS with insulin resistance, my blood sugar has been known in the past to go as low as 34.2, but when I eventually ceased to ovulate due to PCOS, the hypoglycaemia was not as much of a problem. When I started low carb, I also started having a menstrual cycle again and back came the severe hypoglycaemia.

Anyway what the blood glucose monitor has told me, is that my bs is at its highest taken fasting in the morning 115-123. I then eat a low carb meal and it falls wthin 2 hours to 90. I then eat another low carb meal later and it falls to (for example) 77.4, and a final low carb meal will drop it to as low as 57. If I eat a high carb meal my bs goes up slightly and then down again. For instance from 90 up to 108 then down to 81 then maybe a slight rebound to 88.2.

What this seems to point to is that when I eat a low carb meal I'm still having a substantial insulin surge - even after 5 months lc, and that I need medication to fix this - the science says there is no way I can lose weight on lc with high insulin levels.

I've recounted this just to show that a person can have a medical issue that can impair atkins working - but that's not the fault of atkins, I just have some extra medical challenges that I hope will be solved with metformin. They didn't prescribe this for pcos 16 years ago when I was diagnosed. If they had, I doubt I'd be the weight I am today.

So severe insulin resistance may be an impairment to atkins working alone, but atkins plus metformin may work very well, I'll find out when I get my prescription.

Lee
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 09:25
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I think there are aspects of the foods we eat now and changes in the environment that will challenge the most assiduous Atkins dieter.

I don't think you can safely assume that because you are sticking exactly to the Atkins plan you are obtaining all the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily. Check out table 3 AFL and make sure you understand what forms of magnesium are bioavailable.

I think you have got to double check magnesium intake and certainly you will need more vitamin D than most people and certainly most official sources claim is necessary. I also think it takes FAR LONGER to reduce omega 6 ratio compared to omega 3 than most people realise.
Start by eliminating ALL OMEGA 6 industrial seed oils and all the foods that contain them particularly mayo, corn and soya oil today and how long will it be before your body will have reduce current levels to below the 5<>1 ratio at which omega 3 can work properly.
Happy Healthy Long Life
Well the half life of omega 6 is about 2 yrs when stored in tissue so starting today you may, if you stick with it and keep taking 2g omega 3 daily and never each chips, or anything containing omega 6 seed oils, be about right in 5 yrs time.
I don't think most people realize this is a long term strategy that takes time to undo the damage created over your life to date.

The problem is excess inflammation and our current anti inflammatory reserves are low and even if you eliminate the dietary sources of inflammation there are still the environmental sources such as fine particles in the urban environment, ozone both in industrial towns and industrialized agriculture blocking UVB from reaching the ground and reducing our potential for making vitamin d let alone the disruption to the circadian rhythm by light and preventing sufficient melatonin (anti inflammatory) circulating at night to repair inflammatory damage while we sleep.

There are plenty of reasons why people can fail on Atkins even if they follow the rules very strictly. It isn't just a matter of calories in = calories out and while low carbing has enabled me to restore my metabolic flexibility and I can eat drink what I want without worrying about regain I think it's got as much to do with the anti inflammation program I had instituted for other reasons before I started low carb dieting.

Good stuff!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 12:53

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I never did Atkins. I tried Protein Power and had trouble - I think it was from excess protein which that plan does not acknowledge as a problem. I do better with higher carbs and lower protein like Groves and Kwasniewski.

Last edited by Seejay : Mon, Dec-06-10 at 13:14.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 13:52
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartform
Atkins didn't work for me. I read the book followed it. Low carb works wonders for me, and I think in OWL I'd probably do fine because that's basically what I do anyway. Induction on the other hand.... Although I followed it, I believe I definitely need more carbs to function. I had to count my veggies.. really? limiting my amount of salad greens, and shying away from carrots.

My average low carb meal is however much green veg I want, plus 4-8oz. of meat. The veggies would fill me up. On induction I found myself having to cut down considerably on veggies, but upping meat and fats, to get my carbs as low as they needed to be.

Could be I missed something, who knows. But I'm ok without it. Everything doesn't work for everyone in exactly the same ways.

How long did you stay on induction? It's only meant to be 2 weeks. It doesn't sound like you ever went into OWL ("I'd probably do fine" doesn't sound like you got that far). I'm just using you as an example since you posted...but this to me is like saying it doesn't work without even trying. Especially if you at the same time OWL is like what you do, and *that* works...how does it then translate to Atkins not working? If you only tried 1/4 of the plan, then it's jumping the gun a bit to say it doesn't work, no? Just like my tag says, Atkins does not equal induction. There's more to it, as you know from reading the book.

I'm certainly not saying that Atkins is right for everyone. Different strokes and all that. I think it's one thing to work through a plan and decide it doesn't work for you and move on to something else, but not ever moving past the first 2 week phase isn't really working through a plan to me.

Back to the question at hand...I think that in my experience, Atkins (or any diet plan) not working is due to people not even following it through. I'll be the first to admit, I used to knock my mother in law for doing Atkins. I thought it was terrible. But all I knew of it was HER version of it, which was not Atkins at all. It was only once I educated myself and read the book that I realized everything I thought I knew about low carb and Atkins was completely wrong. And that's what I really find true of most people *I* know that have "tried it". They didn't. End of story.

My sister is a South Beacher. She tried Atkins (and actually followed it through...she had been trying to get me to do it for years before I finally caved and tried), but she struggled with the high fat. She does well with a more moderate fat and moderate low carb plan. Leaner meats cause her less gastro issues. She was never obese or even overweight like I was. She's maintained her weight and fitness level for years by following low carb. Our plans of choice are just different. Now that I am in maintenance, our plans are very similar anyway.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 09:05

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

I was one of those people who "tried" Atkins 3 times and wasn't successful. I also said it didn't work for me. I also hadn't read the book entirely, just sort of skimmed through it and looked at the recipes. Then I found this forum and got inspired again by the people who claimed to have lost so much weight on Atkins. What were they doing right? What was I doing wrong? They read the book from cover to cover, they got past the "induction flu" (I kept quitting Atkins when I started feeling awful on the induction flu), they found out what was their carb limit. What did I find out about my carb limit? I found out that I had to do 0 carbs in order to lose weight. I started with the Atkins diet and when my weight wasn't moving down I read in his book that he had put some of his patients who had hyperinsulism on a 0 carb diet. That's when the light bulb went off in my head. I started the meat & egg diet and the weight came off. It's actually a way of life now, not a diet because it's how I will eat for the rest of my life.
Basically, people can't just quit because it does work! They just have to do their homework and find out how they can make it work for themselves.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 16:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

To say that Atkins did not work because people stop following it is like to say that we gain weight by eating to much, the question should be why do people stop following it. Atkins is hard for many. It is hard to believe in when the world is hollering "watch your fat", and "watch your cholesterol". It is hard to follow in a world where not giving candy to a baby is considered mean. It is hard to follow when every holiday, birthday or any other occasion is based on sweet, and sweet is associated with love. Carbs are convenient - they keep and they are quick to acquire, ready to eat, fully processed, in a bag.

I have also had friends that failed at Atkins, even though they read the book and did their best, and had blood tests done. I do believe there are underlining problems that the low-carb community neglects to address, such as hormonal weight gain. These 3 friends probably had a medical problem that the medical community considers within a normal range, whereas, in fact, this normal range is based on an abnormal (sick) population.
Atkins has saved me from becoming obese (I started while I was spiraling upward out of control), Atkins has saved me from hormonal weight gain - fertility treatments and pregnancy. Atkins has probably saved my health, and saved me from taking a multitude of pills. The low carb community has introduced me to a healthy scepticism when it comes to the medical profession, big pharma and food producers, and spiked my curiosity into gaining more info (Amazon is happy). This is probably why I have been successful at Atkins while my friends have failed.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-10, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 285/259/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
How long did you stay on induction? It's only meant to be 2 weeks. It doesn't sound like you ever went into OWL ("I'd probably do fine" doesn't sound like you got that far). I'm just using you as an example since you posted...but this to me is like saying it doesn't work without even trying. Especially if you at the same time OWL is like what you do, and *that* works...how does it then translate to Atkins not working? If you only tried 1/4 of the plan, then it's jumping the gun a bit to say it doesn't work, no? Just like my tag says, Atkins does not equal induction. There's more to it, as you know from reading the book.

I'm certainly not saying that Atkins is right for everyone. Different strokes and all that. I think it's one thing to work through a plan and decide it doesn't work for you and move on to something else, but not ever moving past the first 2 week phase isn't really working through a plan to me.

Back to the question at hand...I think that in my experience, Atkins (or any diet plan) not working is due to people not even following it through. I'll be the first to admit, I used to knock my mother in law for doing Atkins. I thought it was terrible. But all I knew of it was HER version of it, which was not Atkins at all. It was only once I educated myself and read the book that I realized everything I thought I knew about low carb and Atkins was completely wrong. And that's what I really find true of most people *I* know that have "tried it". They didn't. End of story.

My sister is a South Beacher. She tried Atkins (and actually followed it through...she had been trying to get me to do it for years before I finally caved and tried), but she struggled with the high fat. She does well with a more moderate fat and moderate low carb plan. Leaner meats cause her less gastro issues. She was never obese or even overweight like I was. She's maintained her weight and fitness level for years by following low carb. Our plans of choice are just different. Now that I am in maintenance, our plans are very similar anyway.

Previous to trying Atkins, I had been doing a plan of my own where my ratios were around 40-40-20 protein-fat-carbs. Somewhat similar to OWL I had been playing with carbs weekly to see what I could handle, and that is what I came up with. I've posted around here before about it. I was also counting calories. Fats I had no problem with.

When I tried Atkins I stayed on induction for a month. At the end of two weeks I had gained weight, and figured it was just my body adjusting. I continued for another 2 weeks I gained still. I can't remember exactly how much I had gained. It was under 5lbs, but still disturbing.

It could have simply been that having done such a controlled ratio and calorie plan before starting with unlimited calories of meat and fat made me balloon. If I was coming from the SAD I probably would have lost weight. Or maybe the sodium made me retain water... but the diet usually has a diuretic effect. so I don't know.

I believe in the theory. I think that for most people it will probably work in the original way described in the book. But even he mentions instances where different measures had to be taken.

If you have any suggestions on what I should do to get better results I'd love to hear. For induction I had changed from lean meats to meat with more fat because Atkins requires more fat, and less protein than I was used too. bacon ground beef, etc. I usually don't eat those meats simply because they make my stomach grumpy. With the exchange of less protein for more fat was always hungry. It takes much more beef to fill me up than chicken for some reason. Fat just makes me hungrier not full. Not as bad as carbs do, but enough so that I was really over doing the butter and olive oil.

Last edited by heartform : Tue, Dec-07-10 at 20:03.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-10, 18:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I never did Atkins. I tried Protein Power and had trouble - I think it was from excess protein which that plan does not acknowledge as a problem. I do better with higher carbs and lower protein like Groves and Kwasniewski.
Ditto. I actually never did Atkins either as I always hated Atkins Induction. Actually the new Atkins book out says there is no reason to go on Induction if you don't want, and you can skip right past it if you choose. This is what I always felt instinctively - but was interesting to see it in print.

But I DO believe in the concept of low carb, and have lost about 115 pounds and improved health in many ways by following a LC eating plan, but I also do better on a lower protein plan like Kwasniewski.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 01:09

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The latest Atkins book was not written by Atkins, but by three other people: Atkins is dead for a while now. If this version didn't work for somebody, we could say that they didn't actually try the Atkins diet.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 13:19

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Since I was one of the early posters who suggested that "atkins didn't work" really meant "I didn't try atkins," let me clarify: I fully accept that Atkins by the book may not be the best diet for some people, it might even the worst diet for some. I believe genetics, childhood nutrition, etc., make us each unique. I really just meant to comment on the people I have met who truly believe that Atkins = living on cheese and deli meats because of poorly researched accounts in the media.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-10, 13:45

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I also think it takes FAR LONGER to reduce omega 6 ratio compared to omega 3 than most people realise.
Start by eliminating ALL OMEGA 6 industrial seed oils and all the foods that contain them particularly mayo, corn and soya oil today and how long will it be before your body will have reduce current levels to below the 5<>1 ratio at which omega 3 can work properly.

I agree that inflammation can be a tricky issue so solve. Have you seen any of the research on the oxidation of omega 3s after ingestion? Also, these, like all PUFAs are damaged to some degree with heat, no? Sashimi anyone?

Lipid peroxidation during n-3 fatty acid and vitamin E supplementation in humans.
Quote:
Abstract

The purpose of this study was to investigate in healthy humans the effect of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) intake, alone or in combination with dL-alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E) supplements on lipid peroxidation. Eighty men were randomly assigned in a double-blind fashion to take daily for 6 wk either menhaden oil (6.26 g, n-3 fatty acids) or olive oil supplements with either vitamin E (900 IU) or its placebo. Antioxidant vitamins, phospholipid composition, malondialdehyde (MDA), and lipid peroxides were measured in the plasma at baseline and week 6. At the same time, breath alkane output was measured. Plasma alpha-tocopherol concentration increased in those receiving vitamin E (P < 0.0001). In those supplemented with n-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA increased in plasma phospholipids (P < 0.0001) and plasma MDA and lipid peroxides increased (P < 0.001 and P < 0.05, respectively). Breath alkane output did not change significantly and vitamin E intake did not prevent the increase in lipid peroxidation during menhaden oil supplementation. The results demonstrate that supplementing the diet with n-3 fatty acids resulted in an increase in lipid peroxidation, as measured by plasma MDA release and lipid peroxide products, which was not suppressed by vitamin E supplementation.