Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/159/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Partial Fasting as an alternative?

I may give this a try. However, I'd have to fast from around 7pm one day to 6pm the next so that I don't miss dinner with the family. Have any of you tried this?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 00:04

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Yes, that seems to work fine. I think it's easier somehow than going a whole day and night without eating and it seems you still get the benefits.

Re "Moogie" (any relation to Grok?) and mealtimes: In olden days I'd imagine that everyone sat down to have the main meal together in the evenings, they probably were too busy to "do lunch" during the day.

The site marksdailyapple.com has had some good posts lately on IF and alternate day fasting.

I'm getting back to this again after a break, it seemed a little harder to do in the depths of winter. Now that it's lighter outside and warming up, I want to try it again.

I'm going with not eating for an entire day, from one morning to the next, to extend it a little more. It seems more of a challenge psychologically to not eat for the whole day. I'm amazed at how well I feel physically as the day progresses and I continue the fast. Really seems to help with joint pain. So check in on how you're doing, I'll do the same!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 16:25

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Precisely what I've found too black...that IF makes it a 'breeze' to maintain my weight. Like lowcarb took away my cravings for junk food and sugar, IF'ing seems to make my body not 'stress' over 'when, how much, what' I'm going to eat.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 23:06

BF:
Progress:

Checking in: I'm staying with the alternate day fasting, approximately from 8 pm dinner on one day (e.g., Sunday) to 8 am breakfast on the second day (e.g., Tuesday).

It's a little rocky getting through the whole day, but I seem to feel more of a change than when I just go from dinner one day to dinner the next day.

Again, my goals are to lose weight and heal inflammation issues, so I'm very motivated to see how this helps.

I was seriously hungry this a.m. but used coconut oil in my coffee and that really helped.

I made it a point to eat a little more on the eating day yesterday, staying LC. That seems to help me stay with the fast on the non-eating day. I'm sometimes not that hungry on the eating days but if I only eat one small meal I find it harder to get through the fasting day.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 04:06

BF:
Progress:
Default Checking In

I commend you for going for fasting so long at a time. I have difficulty just making it from after dinner one night to dinner the following night. I've noticed so far that my weight loss is not all that dramatic. I lost a pound immediately after the first day of fasting, but gained back 4/10 of a pound the next LC day. However, my clothes felt looser for sure. I'm going to keep this up and see how it goes. If I can lose a solid pound every week and keep it off, I'll be happy. I'm not going for the dramatic...just consistent.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 04:11

BF:
Progress:
Default IF and maintenance

I can see how IF would help you maintain for sure. In fact, I bet that you can even increase your carbs/calories on the non fasting days and still maintain. For now, I'm trying to keep it LC on the non fasting days, hoping that will keep the weight loss going. I think I need to be careful to eat enough on the LC days. I've noticed that my appetite decreases the day after the fast. I don't want my body to start "thinking" that it's in starvation mode and have my metabolism slow even further (menopause has been bad enough !!!).
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 05:04

BF:
Progress:

I'm starting to shed some weight and inflammation is so much better. So it's not easy but I'm motivated to stay with this for a while. I wasn't feeling great the past few weeks even though I was staying on plan, I was tired and experienced joint pain. That really eases up on the fasting days it seems. My clothes are looser too.

Today is another fasting day and I'm already hungry this morning, but I'm going to put some coconut oil in my coffee and drink lots of water and see how it goes. According to some versions it's OK to have a 500 calorie snack on the fasting days; when I've done this before I've sometimes had a couple of poached eggs.

One weird thing is that I'm having some fierce sugar cravings on the fasting days, which usually don't occur when I'm doing LC; maybe because of low blood sugar? Not just for something sweet but for sugary chocolate or candy. Very strange, it comes in waves but it does pass. Don't keep any of that stuff in the house so won't be tempted.

As I mentioned before, I'm trying to eat at least two meals on the non-fasting day, so yesterday I had both some lamb stew for early lunch and turkey burger and veggies for dinner. I wasn't that hungry for the second meal but I didn't think I'd get through the fast day unless I ate a little more.

If you're worried about the effects of IF or alternate day fasting on metabolism, there have been some interesting posts recently on marksdailyapple.com. It seems recent research shows that it actually doesn't slow the metabolism, contrary to conventional ideas about fasting.

There's something different about the 36-hour fast versus the 24-hour fast for me, I seem to receive more benefit from the longer fast.

Here's one recent post on marksdailyapple.com:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/who-...nt-try-fasting/

Last edited by SylvieK : Fri, Apr-08-11 at 05:21.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-11, 09:05

BF:
Progress:

I read the post on marksdailyapple. Thanks !!! I've decided to try the intermittent fasting on a daily basis...no bfast or lunch (just a small lc snack) and then a good-sized lc dinner. I need to jump start some kind of consistent weight loss. Up until now, I've just lost and regained the same couple of pounds.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 01:01

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
Precisely what I've found too black...that IF makes it a 'breeze' to maintain my weight. Like lowcarb took away my cravings for junk food and sugar, IF'ing seems to make my body not 'stress' over 'when, how much, what' I'm going to eat.

I know many many people who maintain by IF dieting.
Its seems to be the easiest way.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 11:09

BF:
Progress:

Anyone else trying this? I've been on a plan of fasting 3 days a week and eating 4 days a week (includes the weekend). Don't always make it to the 30-hour mark because my work schedule fluctuates, but going at least 24 hours. It's weird, I do fine through the fasting period, but when it's time to eat my body knows it, no messing around, it's a very clear hunger bell!

It's getting easier now that I've set my mind on it and prepare good meals on the eating days, also making sure to eat lots of healthy fat and not overdo it on protein. I'm still a little disturbed by sharp sugar cravings but that's lessened, I wonder what that's about, maybe low blood sugar levels, but it passes quickly.

But best of all -- My clothes are very loose. My pants fell down to my ankles this morning, I had to use a clothespin to hold them up! So I'm actually losing weight with this plan, after being stalled for many moons.

Mentioned it to a few people and it freaked them out and started to get some criticism, so keeping it to myself now.

Interested in the science of it. How much is overall calorie reduction during the week, and how much is because of hormonal shifts during fasting periods that help the body release stored fat.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 11:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Anyone else trying this? I've been on a plan of fasting 3 days a week and eating 4 days a week (includes the weekend). Don't always make it to the 30-hour mark because my work schedule fluctuates, but going at least 24 hours. It's weird, I do fine through the fasting period, but when it's time to eat my body knows it, no messing around, it's a very clear hunger bell!

It's getting easier now that I've set my mind on it and prepare good meals on the eating days, also making sure to eat lots of healthy fat and not overdo it on protein. I'm still a little disturbed by sharp sugar cravings but that's lessened, I wonder what that's about, maybe low blood sugar levels, but it passes quickly.

But best of all -- My clothes are very loose. My pants fell down to my ankles this morning, I had to use a clothespin to hold them up! So I'm actually losing weight with this plan, after being stalled for many moons.

Mentioned it to a few people and it freaked them out and started to get some criticism, so keeping it to myself now.

Interested in the science of it. How much is overall calorie reduction during the week, and how much is because of hormonal shifts during fasting periods that help the body release stored fat.

I too am going on a three day fast.
Now, this is church related but still, I wonder how it will effect weight loss.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-11, 12:05

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I'm curious, how has the fasting gone for you all?

Were you able to loose weight with this approach? Or have you just cut your calories in half – regardless of when you ate them?

I am looking for some mechanism to get my weight off. VLC, zero carb, and low calorie have not worked so far. It is not coming off.

Thanks for responding.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-11, 12:22

BF:
Progress:

I was doing OK on alternate day fasting for a while, but when weather got warmer I wasn't doing it as easily as in the winter/spring. I was doing ADF fasting 3 days a week and eating 2 days during the weekend.

Now I'm doing IF fasting 18-20 hours a day with an eating window of 4-6 hours and finding it very sustainable.

When I went off ADF and was eating several meals every day, some weight came back on and also some aches and pains. Weight coming off again and feeling much better with the fasting periods. I seem to do much better with some form of IF, so suggest finding what works for you over longer term.

The "resting" periods seem very healing. You may be really hungry for the first couple days but it really fades once you get into it, I hardly think about food most days during the fasting periods.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 08:47

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I've just embarked on a modified fasting programme, eating up to 800-1,000 calories on "fasting" days, simply because I am running about 30 miles a week and can't fast fully. I've found I'm eating less than before on non-fasting days (maybe 1,500-2,000) and don't fancy any rubbish food, only good stuff, although I do include some starchy veg and a small amount of grain. On non-fasting days I run two sessions easy/hard and on fasting days do weights. I have about 10lb to lose which has crept on as I've got into peri-menopause. It feels good so far, will report if I have anything interesting to say.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 04:02

BF:
Thumbs up

Yep! Modified fastings. What I discovered works for me is a low carb "vegetable fast", just raw or steamed vegetables like broccolli cauliflower, zuchini, occational carrota, cukes, toms, lettuse. I add 3 eggs and on other days fish for protein. The vegies are slathered with as much fats as makes them eatable. I am shedding at about a pound a day. Full of energy too. No cheese, no grains. For a treat, strawberries w/cream. It works for me like crazy! Now that I have discovered what works for me, I just need to KEEP at it.