Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 09:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
...PETA isn't going to endorse any sort of humane livestock/slaughter initiative because they aren't interested in preventing animal suffering. They are interested in promoting veganism.

Exactly! I think their attitude is counter productive.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 10:16
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Whoops, thanks Doreen :-)
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Ethics. Either you believe it's perfectly fine to advise other humans to eat a deficient diet, or you believe it's perfectly fine to eat animal flesh yourself. Once you made up your mind on that, how your food-animals are killed makes no difference. Having said that, an animal that is killed quickly and painlessly tastes better.

It's not a question of whether we will kill the animals or not. That has already been decided: We will kill the animals. Rather, it's a question of how we will kill it for it to become the best food for us.

Exactly. Why is it that we are so afraid to do what is sooo natural? Animal predators frequently eat for fun, curiosity, and, you know, while their prey is still alive. We humans have created a world in which we don't ALL go out hunting every day, and instead some of us can provide food so the rest of us can advance society with cool technology and a better understanding of the universe thru study and research. That means sometimes we don't have control over how our food is treated before it becomes our food. Buy whatever makes you feel comfortable, and boycott whatever makes you uncomfortable, but don't ignore your nutritional needs to, like, protest the treatment of chickens.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 17:33

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't see eating meat as wrong. Torturing my meat before I cook it? A waste of time, energy and some seriously bad karma.

Not eating meat was slowly killing me. I spent 6 years or so as a vegetarian. It was a fast track to obesity, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 08:33

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I don't see eating meat as wrong.
Well, I am not so sure about that.

But in any case, you cant say its not wrong because its natural.

Quote:
Not eating meat was slowly killing me. I spent 6 years or so as a vegetarian. It was a fast track to obesity, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
Absolutely. The one solid reason anyone can have for eating meat is that it is nutritionally superior.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-10, 16:52
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I don't have an issue with eating meat. I don't have an issue with animals being slaughtered for meat. I even buy the "cheaper" meat in the grocery instead of grass fed. Now, don't get me wrong, I love grass fed beef, but I just can't always afford it.

I would love to go 100% to grassfed. I think it tastes better. I also like the idea of the animals being treated in a manner that is more humane. It doesn't change the fact that they are still raised as a food source, but just because that's something's purpose, doesn't mean it shouldn't live in a more natural way - in a field, eating grass and not crammed into a filthy feed lot. If the only way to keep those animals alive is to pump them full of antibiotics, to me, there's obviously something wrong. I'd rather my meat come from a healthy animal than a heavily medicated and sick one. But...I just can't always afford it.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 19:58

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I work long hours sometimes, and I do feel bad about the thought of making them "hold it" all day (sometimes, it could be for 10 hours). I can't hold it that long, and I don't think they should either. ed...but I am ok with that
My dogs routinely were fine with holding it for 10 or 12 or 14 hours. I mean sometimes, even though it had been hours, they clearly didn't WANT to go out! I did take my one dog to the vet once, after he had not peed in almost 72 hours. But there was nothing wrong with him, and the vet said not to hold dogs to human standards, and it was really not a big deal for them to go ultra-long stretches without peeing, and that his own dog REFUSED to go outside if it was raining, and during long rainstorms had been know to go 24-36 hours without peeing, with no problems.

I confess I couldn't really cook for my dogs, but they got EVO Innova grain-free kibble as well as "pet meat" from the Amish farmer I deal with, which was ground beef ground up with all the bones and organs. But it didn't stop either of them from dying of cancer. <sigh>
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 20:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
However, I have chosen to make my (and my husband's) survival and health a priority over their suffering. If I had unlimited money, I would have my own food sources, and all of the animals would be raised and slaughtered in a humane manner.
I agree with this, though in my case it means I've made the decision to only buy grass-fed and/or pastured humanely raised meat. But since it's expensive that means I just eat much less meat. But a lot more eggs - which are from free-range hens from an Amish farmer.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 20:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
a lot of this stuff is based on two goofy ideas that some people just cannot get past. one is that animals have human traits like feelings, and a soul. They don't.
Of course animals have feelings, as anyone who has ever lived with an animal can attest to. There's nothing innately "human only" about feelings, and I can't imagine why anyone would think so. It sounds like human arrogance of the highest order to me to think there is anything so "special" about us compared to other members of the animal kingdom.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 06:45

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Look at the way elephants raise their young and grieve when one of the herd dies. They even visit the bones of deceased members of the herd. It takes some kind of awareness and feeling for them to do that.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-10, 19:26

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/225/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'll buy meat that's been processed in any ranch Temple Grandin had a hand in designing and maintaining. Her standards insure that the animal suffers as little as possible.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 11:38

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

Grassfed beef is disgusting - I try to by locally raised as often as money/time/availability allows. However, I still eat meat from the grocery store on a regular basis. I guess if I thought about how it was killed I would be very sad - so, it's easier not to. *puts head in sand*
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Eh, it can't be any worse than being speared by a hunter/gatherer and chased down over a two-hour run. Or being eaten alive by a crocodile.

Did anyone stop to think that living in the wild is probably pretty terrifying at times for most animals not at the top of the food chain?
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 14:00
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

I find the taste of fully grass-fed beef to be revolting.

For the health differences, they are not as massive as we're led to believe I suspect, based on this article by a grass-fed rancher:
http://lowcarbage.com/blog/2010/11/...uth-about-beef/

And just because meat is sold at the store doesn't necessarily mean that the cow lived its whole life in a feedlot -- most do only the last 6 weeks, and they are not all like the horrors featured in videos. Read the link above, it's a good post.

PJ
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-10, 12:43

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I find the taste of fully grass-fed beef to be revolting.

For the health differences, they are not as massive as we're led to believe I suspect, based on this article by a grass-fed rancher:
http://lowcarbage.com/blog/2010/11/...uth-about-beef/

And just because meat is sold at the store doesn't necessarily mean that the cow lived its whole life in a feedlot -- most do only the last 6 weeks, and they are not all like the horrors featured in videos. Read the link above, it's a good post.

PJ

FYI there are a lot of small farmers raising grain-fed humane livestock. Lemme know if you would like to know of some in the NY area.