Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 12:40

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%
Default BS are going higher

I have a question, I have been serious about Low Carbiing for many months. I have lost 23 lbs in 2 months and have been on 10 units of Novolin N. I have noticed that my Blood Sugars have been going up, even tho I have not ate one single bad food. I have been walking nightly.
My dr has told me to add 1 unit extra unit ever 3 night til my BS comes down..
Ok I have had this diabetes since I was 16, and I am 53.

Is it my meter, or is it my Pancreas? I was going to go get a new meter, so can someone help me figure this out. Thank you everyone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 10:24

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

HM
Novolin N only helps with early morning BS if taken at night.
It has a very sharp peak and may peak at the wrong time.
Lantus or Detemir have more consistent action and work
considerably better than Novolin N but they are more expensive.
Is your high BS in the morning?
Eddie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 18:09

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Hi Hismouse! Have you tested your meter lately with the standardizing solutions? I'm sorry, I dont' remember what they're called, but the kit has two solutions, one which should register as low blood sugar, and one that registers as high...if they check out OK, your meter is OK. Also, if your meter requires a chip, make sure your chip code matches the strip code! (I'm sorry, this is probably totally obvious to you I am sure, but we all do make bizarre mistakes sometimes!)

I don't think your BS is high because of your pancreas...as you have been diabetic for so long (T1, I assume) you can consider your pancreas shot with respect to insulin production.

Diabetes is a freaking weird disorder. Just when you think you've got your medication right, something goes weird with BS. Do you feel well? Is there any chance you have an infection coming on? Oral health is particularly important Dr. B says.

If all of these things are OK and your additional unit of N doesn't help much, seriously consider eddiemcm's suggestions regarding insulin type. My son currently uses Humulin N as his basal as well, but we find it wears off in 8 hrs and we're left with a gap...we are getting a longer acting insulin for his basal this week, but it's not covered under our government health insurance like the Humulin N is (go figure!) so we'll be paying more. Ah well.

I wish you well! Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-10, 13:57

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have found that while low carbing initially lowered my insulin requirements, eventually it has made me insulin resistant- and I take more insulin for fewer carbs.

This is a bit of a downside to LCing, IMO.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 09:43

I got a new meter, and did the testing on it, its fine... and I have been sticking to 20 carbs or less for many months, 20 lbs down. And no infections, just Psoriasis and some stress form a on going Divorce. SO maybe the stress is a big factor, but my BS are still a bit up with now more insulin...so I keep on trying.
My Dr just seems to not want to change my Insulin.. I know my history is maybe the reason. I have used some others in the past and I feel like a zombie.

Maybe I am not eating enough, I have been wondering. Would this cause a problem with my BS. Money is tight, so I have cut my meals way down.

My Dr told me to get my BS down to 110 in the am, 120 at meals, and I haven't got there yet. So up another unit at bedtime again.

This am it was 116.. My post meals aren't with in target yet either..
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hismouse,my bs's had been great since I started low carbing july 21,so I lowered my own insulin,I go to my Dr.s next month,I've only lost 24lbs.so far but going to bed it was like 111,and I didn't want a reaction in the middle of the night.I take a slow acting pen at night, I assume you have type two as you said you no longer take shots.Well this past week it started climbing,I had an infected tooth,now that the infection is getting better so is my bs,but stress will do it to me everytime!!!! I hope this helps you some,I'm really going to keep an eye on it,I may have to loose alot more weight before I can cut back,it's much harder to loose on insulin take care....Gloria
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 10:41

BF:

Hismouse,my bs's had been great since I started low carbing july 21,so I lowered my own insulin,I go to my Dr.s next month,I've only lost 24lbs.so far but going to bed it was like 111,and I didn't want a reaction in the middle of the night.I take a slow acting pen at night, I assume you have type two as you said you no longer take shots.Well this past week it started climbing,I had an infected tooth,now that the infection is getting better so is my bs,but stress will do it to me everytime!!!! I hope this helps you some,I'm really going to keep an eye on it,I may have to loose alot more weight before I can cut back,it's much harder to loose on insulin take care....Gloria
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 10:42

BF:

sorry posted twice
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 11:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

stress makes me skyrocket (I can hit 300's easily when really having a meltdown- but I'm type I). Hope you are feeling better soon!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 18:10

BF:

HISMOUSE,I am sorry ,when I first read your post I read it fast and I thought you no injections,when you had said no infection,sorry I thought you were type 2 .good luck
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-10, 21:23

Well I have been on two shots a day of Novilin N, 10 am and 10 Pm, and for the most part I am doing fair.
My AMs are under 120, and the rest of the day 120 or lower.
I have been sick, tummy bug, they went up, and the tummy stuff went away they went down. The last 2 nights my stomach hurts and full of Air/gas....and pain..my BS go up..
I continue LC,, and this is were I am... as of Jan 1 I will not have ins, I have to apply for Welfare help.. I have Insulin for a long while, just not needles and glucose strips...
I feel scared......I have added a exta unit here and there, and it doesn't seem to change much...
Is it ok to add a unit when my numbers are higher? or is this harmful.
I have only had 3 bad low reactions, but fixed them fast..and that wasn't when I added more Insulin. Excercise/sex causes it to drop.. so I have to watch that...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-10, 05:08

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:

I noticed the same problem this time around doing Atkins. Despite going almost zero carb, my readings would spike after meals. On one of the Optimal Diet threads they talk about excess protein acting on our body like carbs...so using the optimal diet formula, I reduced my protein to no more than 60gm a day. I admit I was a bit skeptical, but within 2 days I was no longer spiking up to 180 after meals (even with my Humalog), but hovered around 100 *without* medication. I'm a Type 2 by the way.

I don't do the Optimal Diet, but along with keeping my carbs under 30, I do keep my protein under 60gm because it works. If you want to calculate your requirement, just take your height in centimeters and subtract 100. If you have an average frame, this should be your approximately 'ideal' weight in kilos. If you're small framed, subtract 6. If you're large framed, add 6. If you know your ideal weight in kilos just use that.

I'm now a few weeks down the road and I do not take insulin with my meals anymore. Also, the readings are more stable. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my Lantus in the morning!

#13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-10, 05:11

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
of Jan 1 I will not have ins, I have to apply for Welfare help.

Just an FYI. If you are on Welfare, their medical coverage will pay for all your insulin supplies.

#14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-10, 21:21

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Magnesium has been a tremendous help for me...This article might be helpful.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/ma...d-diabetes.html
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 21:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

5000 IU of daily vitamin D3 has really benefitted my insulin resistance.It took about 4 months for the effect to become apparent.
Eddie