Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-10, 06:36

Plan: Ketogenic with Carb Load
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Total Carbohydrates available = 21.4%
Total fiber including inulin = 20.7%

That leaves only .7% of all carbohydrates as actual effective net carbs.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned breaking it down with a guide first, but I'm leaving that to the other members to do since they requested the raw report.

-lindasdd
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-10, 08:07
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasdd
Total Carbohydrates available = 21.4%
Total fiber including inulin = 20.7%

That leaves only .7% of all carbohydrates as actual effective net carbs.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned breaking it down with a guide first, but I'm leaving that to the other members to do since they requested the raw report.

-lindasdd

Oh, the old inulin smokescreen.

Think Dreamfields anyone?

I'll have to go and peruse the data posted.

Lisa

Why am I getting the feeling that this is beginning to feel like the glycerine/sugar alcohol where's the dice game? I'm just sayn'
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 20:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
[document removed, link no longer available]

The version you are seeing is the 60 calorie version. Although we sometimes have this version in stock, we usually opt for the 40 calorie version of the products which use less oil(and are therefore more dry.)

hello,

Some information has been blocked out at the top of the document. I'm curious, what was the specific product that was tested? Was it a bagel? What type, eg plain, rye? What was the sample size? Lastly, what was the date of the report?

Thanks in advance

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 07:18

BF:
Progress:

Hey Doreen,
Item tested: plain 60 calorie bread

Date: Dec. 2008, although if you need something more recent it can probably be obtained. I just happened to have the 2008 one available in my own records.

Sample Size: Doesn't matter since the results are per 100g.

In terms of sample size, if you are wondering how to calculate it all out: Results are per 100g. All labs are done in 100g and you have to divide by 100 then multiply by the portion for instance 1oz =28.35g that would be your net per oz. Each serving for their products is 1oz.

Unlike some low carb bread companies, Healthwise breads are almost always the correct number of oz's total and often are less. Meaning, you won't see a serving size of 1 slice(1 oz) and then weigh it to find 1 slice actually weighs 2oz or more.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 10:01
Forum Founder

BF:

Hello again, and thank you for the prompt reply!

Quote:
Date: Dec. 2008, although if you need something more recent it can probably be obtained. I just happened to have the 2008 one available in my own records.
It's my understanding that Healthwise changed the formula for their zero carb bread products at some point. The old recipe contained soy, whereas the new recipe is based on wheat protein. It would be helpful to know if the analysis was based on old formula or new.

Quote:
Sample Size: Doesn't matter since the results are per 100g.
Ummm, actually size *does* matter. Some tests require a large sample size, especially for products with a high protein content >5%.

Quote:
In terms of sample size, if you are wondering how to calculate it all out: Results are per 100g. All labs are done in 100g and you have to divide by 100 then multiply by the portion for instance 1oz =28.35g that would be your net per oz. Each serving for their products is 1oz.
Thanks for the tip. Of course, I'm a Canuckian, and up here we're familiar with the metric system .. and also the concept that "per cent" = divide by 100 .

Anyway, if you could let me know if the analysis is based on the current recipe, and what was the sample size, that would be great!

regards

Doreen
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 05:12

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
It's my understanding that Healthwise changed the formula for their zero carb bread products at some point. The old recipe contained soy, whereas the new recipe is based on wheat protein. It would be helpful to know if the analysis was based on old formula or new.

Ummm, actually size *does* matter. Some tests require a large sample size, especially for products with a high protein content >5%.

I will find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Thanks for the tip. Of course, I'm a Canuckian, and up here we're familiar with the metric system .. and also the concept that "per cent" = divide by 100 .

You never know once you cross the border Silly to include all that, I just wanted it to be clear.

-lindasdd
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 06:31

BF:
Progress:

Ok here is what I have been told.

On the ingredient list:
The formula on the dried ingredient has always been the same (the only change is the amount of oil as mentioned in a previous post.)

Before about 3 years ago, Healthwise Bakery products were only made under private label. Meaning, they were not sold as Healthwise Bakery, but instead with labels such as Controlled Carb Gourmet. Controlled Carb Gourmet is a low carb bread store that used to exist up until about 6 months ago based out of FLorida. CCG had soy and other ingredients on their label make sure that anyone else who wanted to copy the product / label would not be able to because they would not have a way of knowing which actual ingredients were in the products.

If you want to see what I mean, compare the ingredient list for Healthwise Bakery products provided by locarbu.com and LindasDietDelites.com . LoCarbU has the old CCG ingredient list on their site(includes soy) whereas Linda's has the updated ingredient list. LoCarbU just hasn't gotten around to updated the information on the product page.

On the bread sample size:
You have to send them 10 samples for them to get an average. Healthwise Bakery sent 10 loaves.

-lindasdd
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 16:36
Forum Founder

BF:

Oy. Where to start .

First, let's look at Medallion Labs' description of how they calculate carbs ... http://www.medallionlabs.com/TestLi...Test.aspx?id=10 :
Quote:
Carbohydrates are determined by the following calculations: Carbohydrates = 100 – (Moisture) – (Ash) – (Total Fat) – (Protein)
Carbohydrates, available = 100 – (Moisture) – (Ash) – (Total Fat) – (Protein) – (Insoluble Dietary Fiber)
Notice that "Carbohydrate, available = carbohydrate - insoluble fiber

Now, if we look at the report from Medallion Labs as posted by lindasdd, we see
Carbohydrates, Available ... 21.4%
Insoluble Fiber ................. 10.7%
Soluble Fiber .................... 4.5%
Total Fiber, including Inulin ... 20.7%
Inulin .............................. 5.47%

We know from Medallion Labs' own definition of "Carbohydrates, available" that the insoluble fiber has already been subtracted, therefore
"net carbs" = carbohydrate, available - soluble fiber - inulin. The insoluble fiber can't be subtracted twice!

Let's do the math ... 21.4% - 4.5% - 5.47% = 11.43% net carbs.

Translated to a 1 oz. serving of bread product (1 oz = 28.35 grams) x 11.43% = 3.24 net carb grams per slice, NOT ZERO!

However ... that's only the *first* thing I found wrong here. There's more ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As lindasdd pointed out earlier, percentages should total 100, right? Let's add it all up ...
moisture ........... 41.84
ash .................. 1.71
fat ................... 1.26
protein .............. 33.8
carbs, avail ........ 21.4 (remember this includes sol. fiber and inulin)
insol. fiber ......... 10.7

total .............. 110.71 <----- oh dear, it doesn't add up to 100

However ... that's only the *second* thing I found wrong here. There's more ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to the report, there's 33.8% protein, with nitrogen conversion factor of 6.25. Once again, I refer to Medallion Labs for a description of their protein analysis ... http://www.medallionlabs.com/TestLi...Test.aspx?id=31
Quote:
Protein is then calculated from the nitrogen content using a published conversion factor (e.g. 5.70 for wheat).
Notice the conversion factor for wheat and wheat-based bread is 5.70, not 6.25. That's why I asked whether the sample was based on the old recipe (soy) or new (wheat).

Also .. 33.8% protein (by weight). Really? I mean .. skinless turkey breast is 30% protein by weight. I find it hard to believe that a bread which contains more wheat bran than wheat protein can be higher in protein than lean meat.

Healthwise plain 60-calorie "zero net carb" bread indicates there's 6g protein per 1 oz slice. Hmmmmm ... 33.8% of 1 oz = 9.6 grams, not 6. I realise it's allowed to have 20% margin of error, but a difference of 3.6 grams is more than 20%. Way more.

But ... that's only the *third* thing I found wrong here. There's more ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's look at the list of amino acids on the report. According to Medallion Labs .. http://www.medallionlabs.com/TestLi...Test.aspx?id=29 .. the test requires minimum 300g sample if the product has >5% protein. That's why I asked about sample size.
Quote:
This test measures seventeen amino acids, including 8 of the 9 essential amino acids. ....
There are only 14 amino acids listed on the report. What happened to the other three?

But more than the missing aminos, I'm flabbergasted by the proline content .. 18.584% of the total weight of the bread. Really? REALLY??

That would mean proline makes up 55% of the total protein and there's no way that can be true. Wheat protein isolate contains roughly 6.6% proline (source).

Let's move the decimal point in the proline amino acid profile one digit to the right :
18.584 ----> 1.858%

The difference between the two numbers is 16.726, so we'll reduce the total protein by the same difference = 17.074%

For what it's worth, 17.07% of a 1 oz serving of this bread is 4.85 grams of protein per slice. The label states 6g protein, so this is certainly within the allowed 20% margin of error.

Anyway, let's add up the new percentages ...
moisture ........... 41.84
ash .................. 1.71
fat ................... 1.26
protein .............. 17.07
insol. fiber ......... 10.7
sol. fiber ............ 4.5
inulin ................. 5.47

comes to ........... 82.55%

The only thing left unaccounted is the net carb count ..

100% - 82.55% = 17.45% net carbs

17.45% of a 1 oz slice of bread = 4.95 grams of net carbs

IMO, this bread has at least 3.24 grams of net carbs per slice, possibly up to 4.95 net carbs per slice. Definitely not zero.

However, this still isn't all that I found wrong here ... there's more! But I'll save it for a later post, as this one is already too long , and I need to take a break.

Doreen
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 17:31

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Fab work, Doreen

Thank you so much for taking the time to type and share your sleuthing results with everyone
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 19:47
Every day is day one

BF:

Holy Moly Doreen!

If you NEVER EVER post part 2 you are still admired!

Where is the bowing down smilie when I need it? Maybe this one will do.

Lisa
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 20:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

WOW Doreen!! Don't mess with you!
That is some great detecting!!

and just to repeat what I wrote previously, IMNSHO, low carb/zero carb bread is an oxymoron....and their claim is tantamount to blatant false advertising.

It is obviously appealing to the addictions of people who are trying to lose weight and this is not going to help them at all.
Anything for a profit!!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 20:52
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Smattering of ingredients...

Healthwise Bread:

Ingredients: flours (organic whole whear bran, organic wheat protein isolate, natural oat flour), filtered water, sea salt, natural chicory roots, fresh yeast, organic (flaxseed, sunflower seeds, pinenuts, sesame seeds, rye flakes, hemp seeds), organic sprouted whole grain (millet, barley, quinoa, spelt, kamut seeds).

Rye Ingredients:
flours(organic wheat bran, natural wheat protein isolate, natural oat flour), purified water, sea salt, calcium propionate(a natural baking preservative),chicory roots, yeast(sorbitan monostearate),rye

Well....

I hate to be the party pooper....

With ingredients such as above....a zero net carb is virtually impossible.

The problem with LOVING LC bread is that LC bread probably does not love you. If you find that down the line either you are not losing or cravings have reared their ugly head, this would be the first thing I would elimintate.

(Actually becuase it contains wheat, I would NEVER add this into my WOE--but that's just me).

If you are on Atkins--wheat and wheat products is the LAST rung of the OWL ladder for a reason. Wheat and wheat products tend to stall weight loss, incite cravings, act as a trigger food, and for many cause health problems due to wheat sensitivities.

I'm just sayn'.

Plus, on their website the ingredients are not readily found. THAT makes me suspect right off the bat. I found the ingredients off the website you posted.

Progress not prfection.

Lisa

Buyer beware.

Judy....
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 23:14
Forum Founder

BF:
Default part 2 ...

Quote:
The version you are seeing is the 60 calorie version. Although we sometimes have this version in stock, we usually opt for the 40 calorie version of the products which use less oil(and are therefore more dry.)
Quote:
On the ingredient list:
The formula on the dried ingredient has always been the same (the only change is the amount of oil as mentioned in a previous post.)

I don't see oil anywhere in the current ingredients lists for any of these bread products. If the only change between the two recipes is the amount of oil, then the 20 calorie difference would account for roughly 2 grams of fat per serving. Yet, the nutrition panel for the 60 calorie products shows 0g fat. What's up with that?

2 grams of fat per 1 oz serving is ~ 7% of the total weight. However, the analysis from Medallion Labs shows only 1.26% fat. Natural wheat bran, wheat protein isolate and oat flour all contain small amounts of fat, which is most likely where the 1.26% comes from. It's doubtful that the sample contained any added fat .. which then begs the question "was this really a sample of the higher-fat 60 calorie bread or was it the 40 calorie product?"

Speaking of calories, I noticed the Medallion Labs report showed the following:
Calories ................................ 232 Calories/100g (= 66 cals per 1 oz)
Calories, fiber subtracted ......... 174 Calories/100g (= 49 cals per 1 oz)

66 or 49? 60 or 40? ....... 18.584 or 1.858? So many numbers to choose from!

I can't wait to be enlightened

Doreen
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 05:21

BF:
Progress:

Hey Doreen,
I'm going to see if I can get Medallion Labs to weigh in on the conversation.

Beyond that I don't want to say much because I am not knowledgeable on the tests beyond what is stated on the results.

I will say though that much of what you have calculated here is based on your own reinterpretation of percentages and ratios.

That doesn't necessarily make it wrong, but it also doesn't necessarily make it right.

-lindasdd
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 05:40

BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Doreen (and everybody else),
I just got an email back from the baker and a follow up phone call. He looked through his records and discovered that you are right about the protein. The test results he provided me were not for the zero carb bread, but instead for a high protein bread he was making for Controlled Carb Gourmet which used whey protein. That is why the protein content is so high.

Now the cool part. Doreen, the baker is psyched that you are able to dig through the test results this way because he sees that you will be able to vouch for the accuracy of the actual zero carb bread.

So, he wants to have a fresh test of the bread done so that you can verify. He needs to know two things. A) Do you want inulin included in the test results or not(either way it comes to zero carbs) and B) to verify it is the correct sample do you want him to send you the bread so that you can send the bread to the lab?

-lindasdd