Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 16:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I remember you well, BawdyWench. Thanks for all you've shared!

Here's where I tune into this discussion:
Quote:
But I've maintained this weight for 8 years-- which, after 40 years of yoyoing, is an accomplishment in itself!
At the very least, LC has kept me steady. I can actually wear the same clothes from one season/year to the next. What a joy.

For me, menopause is a distant memory. At 64, I'm not sure what "goal" is anymore. I embrace good health along with a sustainable way of eating, and recognize that the remaining fat cells on my body are the fat cells I was born with--just a bit fluffier.

My secret weapon? Weight training. YMCA 2x/wk. Challenge the body. Enjoy the biceps.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 16:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I bought the 6WC and gave it a try, but I have to say I wasn't impressed, either with the results or with his meal plans. I'm not really Dr. Eades's biggest fan these days.

Just curious why you're not a fan these days. I'm not a fan of his (though I am a fan of his work) right now because, as I said, I was one of the early testers. I had to agree to keep track of measurements, blood pressure, lipid panel, menus, etc. AND agree to discuss the plan with any reporters (TV or radio) who wanted to know about my experience. That's a lot to agree to, but I did. I turned in my paperwork as soon as I was done, and I haven't heard a thing back from them. Not even an acknowledgement that they'd received the info.

Also, I emailed him with several questions on how I might tweak things so that I had better success (like using more/less protein, etc.). I got a couple responses, and then he sent me one that pretty much said, "Well, nothing works for everyone." Great help, huh?

BKLoots, I do weight train, but have had to take it easy for the past couple years because of a badly arthritic knee (when one part of your body hurts, it's hard to get motivated to do much of anything active). I just had it replaced 5 weeks ago, and am just starting back in with the weights, ever so slowly.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 16:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Maybe going back to a more Atkins-esqe plan would be better. Ditch the wheat, suck it up and have a few veggies, and go from there.

I admit I do like an evening cocktail or glass of wine (or two). I've been without that for about 5 weeks now as I'm recovering from a total knee replacement and still on some wild drugs. Perhaps I can continue abstaining. Anything is possible, right?

Hey Bawdy!
As the others have said...great thread!!
I've hesitated to add my 2 cents but since you wrote the above, I'd like to say....YES!! this is the direction I truly believe you need to take.....
and give it time...not just a few days or 2 weeks...but like 4-6 weeks.

I started out at age 54, 4/2004. I had my last TOM about 5 months in so I was in menopause as I was losing all my weight. I did not lose it fast as it took me 20 months to lose 114 lbs. But I haven't gained it back and haven't been over 160 in the past 4 years....so thats gotta say something, right?

As Lisa said..."vigilance", even hyper vigilance, has been a key to my long term maintenance success....and no wheat!! and lots of yummy veggies.... good proteins but in measured quantities and I have to practice portion contorl on many foods that I tend to want to overeat.

I hope that you take your own advice.

Rodmick....Thank you for liking my posts and saying it!!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 16:44

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
I had to agree to keep track of measurements, blood pressure, lipid panel, menus, etc. AND agree to discuss the plan with any reporters (TV or radio) who wanted to know about my experience. That's a lot to agree to, but I did. I turned in my paperwork as soon as I was done, and I haven't heard a thing back from them. Not even an acknowledgement that they'd received the info.

Wow, talk about rude.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 16:52

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Just curious why you're not a fan these days. I'm not a fan of his (though I am a fan of his work) right now because, as I said, I was one of the early testers. I had to agree to keep track of measurements, blood pressure, lipid panel, menus, etc. AND agree to discuss the plan with any reporters (TV or radio) who wanted to know about my experience. That's a lot to agree to, but I did. I turned in my paperwork as soon as I was done, and I haven't heard a thing back from them. Not even an acknowledgement that they'd received the info.

Also, I emailed him with several questions on how I might tweak things so that I had better success (like using more/less protein, etc.). I got a couple responses, and then he sent me one that pretty much said, "Well, nothing works for everyone." Great help, huh?

Well, to be honest, your experience is one of the reasons that I began to look at him more critically. I read several of your posts while I was evaluating the 6WC myself. He also completely blew off his promised 6WC website and seems to have stopped blogging about anything other than the sous vide appliance that he is selling. As far as I am concerned, he is in danger of turning into just another home shopping network huckster with that thing. (Now, some of that is sour grapes on my part, since I can't afford to buy one of them myself and I understand they are really great to use.) His "pentabosol" thing rubbed me the wrong way, too.
Mostly, however, I just didn't like his reliance on hyper-sweet protein shakes. I truly believe we should be avoiding the highly processed foods like that.
On the other hand, what do I know? I just GAINED 10 POUNDS!!!!
So . . . my 2 cents don't mean much.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 17:17

BF:

Nelson, he did come through the the 6WC blog, though it only has 3 posts: http://proteinpower.com/6weekcure/

He doesn't seem to be into blogging lately. I really think the latest book (6WC) was not the success they had hoped it would be. I'm a technical writer by profession, and the book appears to be disjointed, incomplete, and comes with a woefully pathetic index. Now maybe that's the publisher and not the Eades, but I'm not overly impressed.

I really don't mind the shakes. Perhaps I don't make them as sweet as some do. In fact, even as a kid I liked the Carnation Instant Breakfast, so I'm a big fan of shakes.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 17:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I've hesitated to add my 2 cents but since you wrote the above, I'd like to say....YES!! this is the direction I truly believe you need to take.

YOu were hesitant to give me advice? Silly girl! I need all the advice I can get!!!

I'll need to think everything through to determine how I'm going to corral the energy to cook more varied dishses. Hubby is going on a business trip Sunday, so that would be a really good day to start a new plan. One with established goals and a definite plan.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 17:35

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I feel the same way - I wasn't entirely convinced that dairy was maybe an issue for me, but I got some very good encouragement to just 'try' without it for a short while (thank you to NancyLC). The encouragement came from someone who had "been there and done that" - that maybe it was not nearly as big a deal as I was making it out to be, and a couple of weeks without dairy was worth trying out.

Geeze, I went from an apple shape back into an hourglass shape, just from ditching dairy, even though I was still working on losing the weight.

I would not have even tried this if not for someone who'd already been there and done that taking the time to explain that it might be 4 or 5 days (at most) of missing the cream in the coffee, and that it really wasn't that bad.

She was 100% right. Thing is? I wouldn't have done it if it weren't for someone who had already been through this and who took the time to share their experience.

I really helps when someone steps in and says, "Yeah, I've tried that, and here's how it went for me...."

See how this encouragement goes around. Now, you have given me the desire to try giving up the dairy for a few days and see what happens. I have been hooked on the low carb ice cream every night and convinced myself I would never be able to do with out it. This forum is really a blessing!
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 17:41

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

oh, carnation instant breakfast!!
my sisters and i rebelled against the eggs my mom made us eat each morning when we were in high school.
so she caved and bought instant breakfast.

maybe that's why i love smoothies for breakfast.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 20:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

And any of you who even THINK of doing KimKims, I'm going to find out where you live, come to your house and beat you black and blue with a rib eye.

I ain't jokn'!

Lisa
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 20:54

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
And any of you who even THINK of doing KimKims, I'm going to find out where you live, come to your house and beat you black and blue with a rib eye.

I ain't jokn'!

Lisa

#72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 21:01
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab

What are you doing up so late?? It's bedtime!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 21:06

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
What are you doing up so late?? It's bedtime!

I work long days now and today was a big gym night. Just got home, actually.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 22:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:

I ain't jokn'!

Lisa

Well, I dunno...I would do Kimkins if it meaant that I would be beat with a ribeye. Can I have a side of collard greens with that?
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 22:52

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Bawdywench - this reminded me of some thoughts I had for another person on here a few months ago. I had to rethink my Atkin's plan of choice a year ago because. like many that are in menopause or have thyroid issues, the plan did not work to reduce me like it once did. Therefore, I came up with a "hybrid plan." This is that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Hey Sheila! I also switched from Atkin's this year. I just basically stopped adding extra fat, or going out of my way to consume it, and tried to stay under 1700 calories. I don't believe fat (any kind) is bad but I have come to believe that calories are a factor when you are already small (at least for me they are.) I don't really count them now, as my food choices have become rather routine over time.

Also, I decided this time to employ several methods to try to get these last pounds off. I have definitely modified SB somewhat, so I am not a purist. I do have fruits everyday, and a starch every other day (yams, butternut squash) but will never eat wheat, sugar or processed foods if I can help it! I don't always choose lean meats, but don't always choose fatty meats like Atkins. I don't eat too much mayo and have been lighter on the dairy. I also added a sort of Paleo principle to the plan (only eating within a 5 or 6 hour window daily) and have also incorporated interval training (google HIIT.) Dr. Agaston recommends this in his book and since I am a retired fitness trainer, this made perfect sense to me. Judy sent me to a link, and one of the suggestions was to workout on an empty stomach if possible so I now workout when I wake up and do HIIT recumbent bike workout first and then do strength training (arms, abs, buns, legs.) My total workout is about 50 to 60 minutes 4x weekly.

I definitely am eating less than on Atkin's - no doubt - but have easily adjusted. I have about 60 carbs daily when I check Fitday. After you get into a groove, you'll love having the extra food choices. I do not find the extra carbs cause cravings and the intermittent fasting Paleo thing definitely helps control my appetite.

Hope I have helped and not confused. It sounds like you have succeeded on a plan and need to sort of shock your body to get it to change more. Increasing the carbs helped me to lose because I am hypothyroid and it only slowed my metabolism down worse not having any sources of quick energy. After you are keto "adapted" this happens from what I have read. I really do believe also in the one golden shot theory there - especially for metabolically resistant folks - though many will dispute this. I have seen Atkin's deliver dramatic results but when you get off plan (too many carbs) you quickly regain weight and even Dr. Atkin's admitted this in his book. This was always the fly in the ointment for me, as I like alcohol on the weekends.

Tell me about your workouts? If you do a lot of steady state, you are in for a surprise with how quick and more efficient HIIT really is if you haven't tried it.

SO - this is all what worked for me this year, plus I had to get on the right thyroid medicine. As I said, I KNEW alcohol wasn't something I was going to quit entirely (I like it - I admit it too!) Therefore, I had to choose something else that is high is calories to give up in order to make a plan work and for me, this was added fats. I know many say calories don't count, but for me, they definitely DID (Judy was right there 100%)! I definitely increased my veges and kept in mind also that excess protein would turn into glucose. I found the veges satiated me and of course, helps with BM's a lot as we all know. It's hard to say now exactly what helped me to lose the 13 pounds (still 5 left) so I will have to say it's the "hybrid" plan I ultimately came up with that combines many schools of thought here. Hopefully, you will be able to "rethink" your plan and devise your own plan that will help you reach your weight goal.

Also - do google the blogs on Intermittent Fasting and how this slows the aging process. Seeing the pictures of the monkeys is what sold me on this more than anything!!!

Last edited by aeroangie : Tue, Jun-08-10 at 23:01.