Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 12:29

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%

Great thread.

I'm 51 and started LCing 1/2000. Took me until 4/2002 to lose about 45 pounds. I wanted to get to 140, hit 145, basically and then gained 5 pounds back that are with me to this day. Am I at goal? Nope. But I've maintained this weight for 8 years-- which, after 40 years of yoyoing, is an accomplishment in itself!

I don't really give much specific advice-- my weight loss and maintenance followed no normal guidelines whatsoever-- except this one-- DON'T GIVE UP! Even if the scales aren't budging, even if your clothes aren't looser, even if there's nothing you want more in life right now than to dive face-first into a plateful of cookies, don't give up. Because if you're doing LC, there's a lot more going on that you can see. I can't see my cells making energy. I can't see my hormones pumping. But they're doing it nonetheless. And eating LC is doing (good) things too, even if it's not obvious on the outside right this minute.

And being six pounds from goal doesn't make this any less true!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 12:35

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Bawdy, you and the other senior posters keep me inspired! I'll be (gulp)59 this summer and in the early years, I'd do LC to lose 10 or 15 lbs, then I'd go back to my old WOE, but maintained my weight for a year or two before the lbs started creeping back. Depending on the work I was doing at the time, my relationships(a break-up usually meant eating ice cream for dinner for about a month!), and finances, the weight would come back at different speeds.
In my 30s I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia...not life threatening, but life changing and a PITA! In my mid-40s the hormones started going wacky. I'd had a hysterectomy at 30, but still had my ovaries. I was told that the surgery can cause an earlier menopause. I tried all the 'natural' remedies for the hotflashes, but they were fierce, so I went on HRT. What a relief! I am still taking HRT, but very minute doses, plus I use a topical for those old delicate tissues(sorry, TMI). So over the years, the weight has crept on and I was so uncomfortable...in my clothes...out of my clothes(I hated showering cuz I hated being naked, much to DH's dismay). My DH is quite a bit younger than I and I was embarrassed for both of us when we'd be out and I'd see my reflection in a window. Soooo.....I got back on this board and read and read and got inspired by your posts and the posts of others and started planning ahead for my WOE for life! Now, because of all the things I mentioned above(and more), the weight has been coming off slowly since I re-started at the beginning of the year, but it's been coming off steadily. I'm down 20 lbs, which doesn't seem like much, but I'm more relaxed about the plan this time around. I lose a few, stall for a while, lose a few more, but it's always going down and I feel I can stay eating this way forever. Maybe because I didn't really set a goal weight, but just wanted to feel better.
I hit these boards daily for inspiration and support, and at times feel that I can contribute. If it wasn't for you, Bawdy, and the others I don't know where I would be. You've helped change my life more that you'll ever know because you've "been there, done that"!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 12:59

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"I think people have a picture in their head that a failed low carber (Though in my book there is no failing as long as you are trying!) is someone who goes 100% off the deepend and totally regains it in one shot."

Or that it means going back to eating all kinds of bad stuff like Twinkies and Ho Ho's. It doesn't take a huge amount of will power at all, but I have not had bread in 3 years. For all those who dream about giving up bread and cakes and cookies and sweets, I am living proof it can happen and be sustainable and pleasurable and have amazing effects on health. Some people can only dream of having that level of control over their health and well being - I consider myself a lucky gal. Weight is not everything. Hubby would gladly trade for my metabolism. He has a BMI of 19 or 20 and has a little six pack going, but his A1C is in the prediabetic range and mine is optimal.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 13:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I think that all of you ladies are a inspiration to so many of us, newbies or not. I am 47 and even though I am not in menepause, I have noticed that it is harder to take off weight and keep it off the older that I get.

Bawdy, how about posting that cheesecake recipe again.

Thanks
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 13:30

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Yeah, I'm coming up on my 1 year carbiversary and am still not at goal. Bit embarrased too. But I am definitely healthier, stronger, more confident and thinner than I was when I started (not to mention much less hungry/grumpy), and i think that counts for a lot.

Big ups to all the vets that are sticking with it. Even though goal is still a bit far off, the health benefits are irrefutable.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 13:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been at it since 3/2000 and also gained it all back a couple of times in the first 6 years, but I learned several things in the process. Mainly that LC is easier to live with than a HC life of constant deprivation, and low fat is not for me, nor is Bawdy's cheesecake! Dairy &/or grains cause me to crave, binge and get out of control. I've also learned that I can't do it on my own, which is why I visit here a lot - to learn new things & keep my motivation up.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jun-07-10 at 13:43.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I've also learned that I can't do it on my own, which is why I visit here a lot - to learn new things & keep my motivation up.
agreed. some people go to 2 and 3 meetings a day..
we can come here in our jammies (whenever and for however long) to get what we need and leave the rest.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 14:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Great thread Bawdy, yes we Cougars do know what we are talking about ESPECIALLY the ones that are dealing with menopausal and hormonal issues. It no longer embarrasses me to talk about TOM, constipation, regularity, BMs etc. These events are related to the diet and need to be clearly discussed.

I have yet to meet my goal and I have been doing LC for nearly 8 years. I am really liking where I am on the low carb totem pole. I am eating healthy nutritious food. Dessert is even nutritious. I am cooking more and I am enjoying it more.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 14:26

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrn122
Rodmick posted: I hesitate to offer advice for the same reason you state unless it comes to diabetes where I am a huge success with no more meds~ no insulin I think it is hard for people to understand how much your metabolism/body really does change over 10+ years.

What advice can you offer diabetics? I have been having some problems recently keeping my BG down. I do a fairly LC diet, and mostly gluten free. Need all the help I can get!

Ruth

Ruth what do you consider fairly low carb?

I'll share what has worked for me over the last 10 years. I won't share what didn't work all the years prior. Not saying this is the gospel but this is works for me . Others mileage may vary!

1. Most nutritionist mean well but do not have a firm grasp on how to tell a diabetic to properly eat. Do your own research . Following the ADA guidelines will keep most of us on meds forever.

2. Exercise is 100% nonnegotiable for a diabetic. WE need it period. Even just a nice ,l walk is good. If I skip it my numbers are always higher~ always~ no clue why

3. Grains suck! For me they cause cravings and shoot the BG up regardless of if they are a low carb version or not.

4. veggies are my friend. Don't be afraid of low carb veggies. There is a huge difference between 50 carbs of lc veggies and 50 carbs of low carb products( tortillas etc) on my blood sugar.

5. Regardless of what I'm told sugar free products do have an effect on my blood sugar. The monitor proves it even if most science says no. I may be an oddity though Plus they cause cravings. If I want sweets bring on the berries. They are plenty sweet.

6. monitor faithfully and keep those records

7. Fat and protein are my buddies right along with those veggies

8. Stress has a big impact on blood sugar ( as does illness) be sure to take a little bit of time for you everyday.

9. try to eat meals with a regular frequency.

10. nuts in the purse, car etc are a lifesaver for when you feel the bg starting to hit the floor.

11. Get mad about the diabetes and make up your mind once and for all not to be a statistic! take control. NO one can take control for you.

Like I said YMMV and this sure is only just what works for me
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 14:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/144/148 Female 5'7 1/2
BF:
Progress: 110%

Experience is "priceless" - success, failure, and any other variation. We all learn from situations someone else has gone through - and been kind enough to share the information.
Wishing you the best of luck, Alma
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 15:11

Plan: Keto
Stats: 185.8/157.4/135 Female 5'4""
BF:
Progress: 56%

Well I guess I'm a quasi-veteran though I am new to the boards. I first LC'd in 1999, lost 35 pounds and kept it off until I got pregnant with my dd - who just celebrated her 8th birthday in May. Really doing this again (and I say really simply because I stopped and started so many times over the last 8 years that I don't even count them as honest efforts) has been much harder this go round and I do attribute it to hormones. I am not in menopause yet but I feel hormonal changes much more accutely now. Mid month, when I ovulate, I have cravings that are out of this world and it has nothing to do with what I've eaten in the preceding days or weeks. My ability to resist those cravings has seriously diminished. Last month I caved and gained 5 pounds. This month, I psedo-perservered, but I ate far more food than I needed - just low carb foods.

I for one appreciate the board veterans no matter how close to goal they are because they remind me why I'm doing this when my mind starts playing tricks on me. They remind me that life is a journey, not a destination, and that is also true of this WOE.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 15:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am one who not only gained it all back I gained some extra pounds all while clinging to low carb. I clung to low carb even while regaining because I continued to show no physical signs of insulin restriction. My itchy skin did not return and as I approached my start weight, I continued to have no joint pain. So, low carb was triumphant even though my weight was not.Thankfully I was able to make the one tweak that kicked up my weightloss.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 16:19
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the discussion about menopause and its effects on weight gain/loss.

The big M hit me two years ago...and guess what....here I am, trying to lose it again. I never really made that connection before.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 16:29

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I am one who not only gained it all back I gained some extra pounds all while clinging to low carb. I clung to low carb even while regaining because I continued to show no physical signs of insulin restriction. My itchy skin did not return and as I approached my start weight, I continued to have no joint pain. So, low carb was triumphant even though my weight was not.Thankfully I was able to make the one tweak that kicked up my weightloss.

I'm hoping your tweak works for me, too! Your posts over the years have really inspired me to finally try IF. This is my 4th day and I love it. I never did it before because I wanted to be on a different IF schedule (different window) from hubby. I finally just took the plunge and we just don't eat together.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 17:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Black57, so was IF the tweak that worked for you? Hmmmmm. I'll meet you over at your journal later!

Here's the link to Bawdy's Cheesecake: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312

There are many, many pages, with lots of variations. If you don't do dairy (or don't do well with dairy), this recipe is definitely NOT for you.

WyoDiva, menopause sucks if you're trying to maintain a good weight. Like I said, I was 150 when it hit. Within 3 months I was 20 pounds heavier, and after going to umpteen million doctors and other health professionals, I gained ANOTHER 20+ pounds. Even though I do bio-identical hormones (Bi-Est, progesterone, and testosterone), the weight is still not coming off.