Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 22:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Honestly, I consume almost no fruits or vegetables. I don't crave them unless I eat them, and my food (aka, meat) leaves little room for anything else. A few bits of veggies (less than 1g worth of carbs), an occasional berry, grape, or bit of an apple; that's all I have these days (though I do use seasonings).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 09:52

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

What I meant when I wrote that type 1s are more predictable than type 2s in their response to fruit intake was this:

Type 2 diabetics have a greater variability in 1) remaining function of the pancreas beta cells (e.g., insulin output), and 2) greater variability in the degree of insulin resistance.

Those factors have a major impact on the blood sugar response to ingested fruit.

Type 1s, on the other hand, have little insulin output, if any, from their beta cells. And insulin resistance is not usually an issue in a type 1 at normal weight.

Take a hundred type 1s and they will exhibit different blood sugar responses to ingested fruit, but it depends more on body size and different rates and efficiencies of carbohydrate digestion and absorption.

Type 2s have those variables (body size and digestion) plus variable residual beta cell function and insulin resistance.

These are only generalities and there is much variability among individuals. Let me know if I'm wrong.

-Steve
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 10:57

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
(body size and digestion)
These are only generalities and there is much variability among individuals. Let me know if I'm wrong.

-Steve

From a different perspective:

The digestive system according to Eastern medicine has three aspects; ingestion, absorption and excrement.

Not only do they look at food ingestion, but also drinks and also what the mind ingests in a day that causes stress; such as the things we read, watching tv, conversations, attitude towards the things we experience throughout the day....

Yes, absorption varies, but not only according to body size and digestion, also based on activity, exercise, internal balance of health, environmental conditions, etc..

Excrement has three natural ways: Sweating, urination and defecation. There is also vomiting, but that is not natural. What becomes our output, if we know how to observe it, determines adjustments we can make to keep our bodies in balance.

Also, when it comes to digestion, do we understand our digestive system enough to where we're actually working with it or against it? Our internal organs run on a body clock and at different times, each organ is functioning differently. If we understand this and work with it, we increase our absorption of nutrition and maximize our body's efficiency thereby improving our immune system and increasing our health, whereas if we don't understand, it is like shoveling stuff upstream....

Steve, I'd say you're not wrong, just an incomplete answer, and I'm sure mine is not complete either...