Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 06:48

Plan: back to moderate carb.
Stats: 185/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Fruit

Do any of you eat any fruit at all? I am doing low carb and was wondering, also a type 2 diabetic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 09:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd go easy on fruit. Fructose, which is in fruit, is some of the issue with diabetes in the first place. Makes you insulin resistant and gives you a fatty liver.

Lower sugar fruits like berries should not be a problem at all. Higher sugar ones, I'd just limit to one or less a day.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, May-08-10 at 10:40.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 10:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I eat fruit but I wouldn't if I was insulin resistant or diabetic.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 12:16

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Handful of berries, bit or two out the apples, plums, a few sour cherries in the orchard
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 20:53

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Today's fruit and berry consumption: mangoes, grapes, papaya, dates, strawberries, cranberries

I doubt many T2s' can enjoy fruits as easily as I do and still maintain control.....

It has to do with the timing and the volume. Also, the fact that I do a lot of exercise and keep the excess weight off and eat an all natural diet. I also eat a diet which includes a lot of foods that help keep blood sugars normal.....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 08:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I'm a type I, but generally I avoid fruit other than some berries. And even with berries, I make sure I start on the lower end of normal- like BG less than 100. Melon and kiwi in small amounts also seem ok. And I always include plenty of FAT with any fruit to slow things down- for example, a few berries in cream with splenda, a few thin slices of melon with cheese, etc....
For me, it seems I need to keep the PORTION of fruit very small- like I'd never eat an entire apple, but I might have a wedge or 2 with almond butter.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 09:54

Plan: My own creation
Stats: 345/313/185 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have to avoid fruit also. Even berries can raise me to uncomfortable levels.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-10-10, 12:52

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

We do enjoy fruit, but in small quantities and always with a meal. The only exception is pre-exercise when we want a bit of a glucose boost. (sorry, not the royal "we" here...just referring to my entire family.)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 08:00

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Different diabetics respond differently to fruits. Type 1s are more predictable than type 2s

Probably best to test blood sugar 1-2 hours after consumption and see what happens.

-Steve
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 08:15

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
Type 1s are more predictable than type 2s

-Steve

huh???!!! I humbly disagree. Between insulin, exercise, carb counting ratios, hormones, basal rates, injection site variances, etc., "predictable" is a rare commodity.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 09:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
huh???!!! I humbly disagree. Between insulin, exercise, carb counting ratios, hormones, basal rates, injection site variances, etc., "predictable" is a rare commodity.

agreed!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/181/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Obese/Fat/Normal
Progress: 69%

I think it is a YMMV thing on the fruit. Personally, I can't touch 99% of it without having a spike.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjs
I think it is a YMMV thing on the fruit. Personally, I can't touch 99% of it without having a spike.

Not sure what YMMV is.. and I'm addressing T2s' when I'm writing about fruits...

For me, at the point in my stage of health, I can no longer look at one group of foods and discuss restricting or eliminating....

At one time, I couldn't eat fruits or it wreaked havoc on my blood glucose, but thanks to my wife, who is a TCM Doctor and her showing me a better way, I'm able to enjoy 3 to 5 fruits a day without any problem. Diabetics also tend to complain also about rice, potatoes, noodles, and breads causing blood sugar problems and I used to avoid those foods too, but can enjoy them now.

I now can enjoy not only fresh fruits, but; berries, nuts, seeds, grains, any kind of fresh vegetable......... I eat any kind of meat, organ meat, seafood without any restrictions. My proteins from animal/seafood sources are about 10%-12% of my diet.. I make up the rest of my protein needs from plant based proteins.

I still avoid artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, pre-packaged foods, things that come in a can or a box and frozen foods....

My point is, just because you can't enjoy fruits now for the trouble it can cause and no matter how restrictive the present diet is and how much medication you're on for blood glucose control, there is still the hope you can accomplish what I did in recovering from the havoc of diabetes and reversing this disease completely without medication and without eliminating any real whole and fresh and natural food from the diet.

I've learned that recovery was more about increasing real, whole, natural and fresh foods and eliminating junk foods, and not about eliminating any whole and natural food......

A whole new world in combating diabetes opens up when herbs and other supplements are properly used in conjunction with a diet that includes a large variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and living an active lifestyle which includes a sufficient amount of good exercise.....

I average about 100 vegetable and 25 fruit sources each month and I'm always looking for something new and different to add into my diet. My latest addition is Japanese Sweet Potato Leaves.....

So, I've not nearly typed enough information for anyone to just follow what I'm saying and change everything they're doing, but I'm just saying, never lose hope that things can turn around and if I have a secret to share, it is this:

In the average American diet, the common link is over nutrition. My meaning is we eat too much of a particular food source and that automatically means we're not getting enough of something else. That equals malnutrition or as it is put in TCM terms, an imbalance. The way to correct an imbalance in the easiest way to eat as wide a variety of fruits and vegetables as possible. The more variety in the diet, the less chance of over nutrition of a particular food and the better chance to achieve nutritional balance....

I'm not an expert and not every person will have the same degress of success, some should be able to do much better than me. I'm just someone who's living with diabetes, not dying with it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 15:06
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Fruit = Nature's Candy

wilstar.com/lowcarb/fruit.htm

YMMV = "Your Silage May Vary."

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 15:55

An apple a day on the first day will effect blood sugars differently than an apple a day will effect blood sugars on the 365th consecutive day.

When improving our blood glucose, the biggest mistake we can make to deter us in future successes is to expect an immediate improvement or have an immediate positive impact on our blood glucose from the foods we just ate.

Sometimes, fruits, such as apples, are slowly over time turning our health around and positive results will not be immediately seen and for some folks not for a long time. There are right foods that bring about right results when the body is in the right balance and for that, the real curative effect is TIME.............. something most of us don't have the patience for... I laugh now, because I was one of those diabetics that was limiting my foods more and more as I'd see negative results and blindly still missing the point on important things such as: the way food is prepared, the timing of when to eat, the volume of what is eaten, the additives and preservatives in the chosen foods, the importance and significance of variety (truly the spice of life), the nutritional value of a fruit and how and why it is important for long term health...

All foods in moderation are not harmful if our body is in balance.