Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

I prefer white wine to red now, but since our family has trouble with alcohol, it makes my teetotaller hubby paranoid if I even consider buying a bottle. So I won't. It's certainly not worth asserting my independence by flirting with a potential addiction, and besides, a good gingerale will do the job a lot cheaper.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default real life

this has been a very interesting thread, I learned that real life is happening here. what has come to light for me is I am not alone, I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who drank without guilt, while on low carb, I simply cannot tell you the huge positive that bit of knowledge has given me. Bonnie, have you considered trying to make a low carb wine? using less sugar to activate the yeast? maybe a lower carb fruit like strawberries? can that be done? I love the chemistry of low carb, I have managed to make quite a few unacceptables into occassional doables, its part of the continuing education of eating healthy. and keeping life interesting.
Janice, you so accurately described my drinking, I was shocked and delighted. Life is a gift to unwrap and enjoy, not to put on a shelf and dust.
Thinny, what did you mean by " not worth asserting your independence"? Is drink the only thing you would not assert your independence about? I found that to be intriguing, maybe we could start another thread and discuss that.

best, Jane
  #93   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 11:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking I HAVE to jump in here!

Alcohol means a whole lot of different things to a whole lot of people, and what they feel about it changes as they grow older and change.

I don't want to sound like the 'leader of the women's temperence union' (as my mother used to say), ESPECIALLY as I have thoroughly enjoyed drinking all my life, but alcohol is a drug, pure and simple. It alters brain chemistry, just as cocaine, marajuana, or cigarettes do. The specific brain chemicals altered may be slightly different depending on what substance you use, but the results are similar.

And for some people it's addictive, and their brain chemistry is altered permanently. And many don't realize the addiction is taking place for years. They are proud of the fact that they can "hold their liquor" better than most, and rarely suffer bad aftereffects from a night of drinking. But these characteristics aren't necessarily a good thing. They indicate that your body processes alcohol differently than most people's.

It's legal, but something that has to be watched I think. And if you have alcoholics in your family it should be watched even more closely, in the same way that you watch more closely if you have relatives with breast or prostate cancer.

Not all alcoholics are lying in the gutter with a brown paper bag -- in fact the vast majority aren't. But alcohol is the third largest killer in the U.S. today.

Just some sobering thoughts.

Joanna
  #94   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 12:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Joanna

I don't want to sound like the 'leader of the women's temperence union' ..guess what Joanna...with your comments that's exactly what you do sound like ... as stated in my first post I avoided this thread simply because of remarks like this...most of us here are smart intelligent folks and know what different levels alcohol can take one if they let it get out of hand..the main point some of us are trying to make here is that not all folks do let it get out of hand and can exercise control...sooo before this thread again gets tooo preachy...and it is suggested that I make another trip to the "Confession Booth". ..have to say one stop shopping here just like a SuperWalmart going to say adios to this thread

Bonnie
  #95   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:10
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Bonnie....
Please stick around...don't not come back here. I, as well as others really enjoy your posts.

Please reconsider.

hugs...cin
  #96   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:11

BF:
Default Bonnie

Sorry if I pushed one of your buttons.

I DID say in the beginning of that post that I've enjoyed drinking all my life.

All I was trying to point out is that it's not just an innocent and fun thing for some people.

Enough. I'll be quiet now.

Joanna
  #97   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 17:56

BF:

Jane, I don't believe in firing my big cannons at mosquitos - I save them for arguments/situations that really are tremendously important to me/our family. Therefore, knowing my own prospensity to any kind of carb addiction (and that includes alcohol, BTW), along with my family history of losing control over alcohol consumption, etc., I don't find it necessary to fight with my hubby over my "right" to drink as an adult. Family peace is worth more to me. For one thing, I WILL accept a drink once in a while - like champagne at a wedding! I can trust my hubby to get us home safely, and he doesn't object to this amount. And I KNOW that I can have a drink anytime I really want it (I handle the finances and have a valid licence ); so that gives me the right to refuse to drink w/o blaming my DH. It's MY decision.

But I have to admit, it gives me palpatations of the heart when I see any of my kids drinking - and all 6 exhibit some degree of carb intolerance. It is scary. Sandra
  #98   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 18:11

Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Getting a Grip

I'm the one who ordered some 5hpt a week or two ago. It arrived on Tuesday and I took it as directed but noticed no effect so I haven't bothered with it since. However also on Tuesday, after drinking too much twice over the holiday weekend and gaining a couple of pounds, I had already decided it was Get a Grip Day (not the first one in my life ). That evening I made sure I only had 3 glasses of wine (seems to be the max for me for weight loss) and the last two evenings only 2!

A big advantage of drinking less is that I have more time to do something else. After one or two glasses I can still spend half an hour on the treadmill or lift weights--more than that and I just get sweaty and pissed off or, more often just read or sit in front of the TV. I'm not definitely not like the person (forget your name, sorry) who can drink a bottle of wine and get a whole lot accomplished at the same time!

And, I lost the weight I gained on the weekend, plus half a pound. So I'm feeling quite cocky.

However, it's Friday. Dangers await.

Janis
  #99   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 21:53

BF:

Janis, danger only awaits the unwary and ignorant. Plan something else for tonight and the rest of the weekend that will keep your brain and attention focused on non-drinking scenarios. Don't get bored and find the bubbly going down the hatch w/o thinking. THINK! A rational thought as to why you decided to have your wine is much better than having your elbow and mouth acting out of habit, because some habits are the immediate ancestors of addiction. Sandra
  #100   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 11:21

Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Default Weekend activities

Thinny, I never said I planned to spend the weekend in a drunken stupor!

I went to 2 music rehearsals, contributed 3 kinds of appetizers to a large dinner party, did the NY Times weekend crossword, bought a bunch of annuals for hanging baskets . . . and much more. None of which involved drinking except the dinner party, where I was careful and moderate.

I was joking when I said "dangers await". I just meant that I might drink a little too much (which I didn't), not go on some kind of a bender.

Janis
  #101   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Question Hangover food

Well I DID go on a bender yesterday.
My kids went to their dad's and hubby had to work. So about 4:00 I poured myself some wine. Well one glass lead to another and yet another and you know what I mean. Today I feel terrible and the thought of food makes me sick! I forced down some scrambled eggs but that is all. Which leads me to the question:
What food is good for a hangover??
I know I need to eat! Also, this WOE seems to be working although slowly. And I don't believe it's just the wine but the fact that I never want to eat! (hung over or not!) Meat is just really turning me off lately. I've never been a big meat eater anyway. And I never want to cook anymore as I just don't like food!
Someone please offer suggestions as I'm about ready to give up this WOE. I know that not eating enough is a big problem and also this LC'ing makes the wine go to my head way to fast! And no, I don't want to give up my wine.
Thanks for this great thread!
Tiffy
  #102   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:12

BF:
Default Hi Tiffy!

Water water water....and time. Yor body will process the wine in its own time. I don't think you can hurry it up -- sad but true.

Have faith in the WOE. You don't have much to lose, and I think the whole process is much slower for those of us who want to lose only 10 or 15 pounds.

Have you tried tofu as an alternative to meat? Can't abide the stuff myself, but for some people it seems to be a workable substitute. The silken stuff works well in a morning shake (even I like it that way! ).

And remember what I'm just beginning to learn -- You can't drink like you used to when you eat low carb! Take it slow!!

Take care of that head!!

Joanna

P.S. I can identify with the kids going to their father thing. Went through that for years and felt awful about them having to do it but greatly relieved to have a break from tham and then guilty about feeling relieved etc.etc. etc. Not a lot of fun. (No wonder you let lose!! )
  #103   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Getting a Grip

Quote:
Originally posted by janis
I'm the one who ordered some 5hpt a week or two ago. It arrived on Tuesday and I took it as directed but noticed no effect so I haven't bothered with it since.

Three days are not going to make a difference with a supplement like 5-HTP. It's not like taking an aspirin and your headache goes away. You have to give your body time to figure out how to use it.

Another supplement that's helpful in the treatment of cravings is L-Glutamine. Here is the scoop...

-a non-essential amino acid
-one of two primary energy providers that burn glycogen to provide fuel for the brain
-protein building block - supplies the brain with energy and nourishment for healthy brain function.
-enhances mental alertness, learning processes and is also required by the brain as a neurotransmitter
-necessary for burning glycogen, a principle fuel for the brain and also for stimulating a variety of neuro-functions
-onsidered beneficial for reducing sugar and alcohol cravings
-reduces pain and alleviates fatigue caused by poor metabolism
-naturally produced by the liver and kidneys
-additional supplementation may be beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism, reducing cravings and mental degeneration
-may be used to help treat colitis, dizziness, ulcers, motion sickness, hypertension, ear infection and sore throat.

Karen
  #104   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:37

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Unhappy drunk faster?

Does anyone else seem to get drunk faster on the lc wol?
  #105   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 13:41

BF:
Talking Oh yes!

There was a great thread on the effects of alcohol on us LCers just a few days ago but I can't remember where it was.....

Anyone?

Joanna