Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 12:25

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Lily
He's just a celebrity entertainer that happens to have an MD after his name.

When will people understand that TV is for entertainment and not for knowledge?

I work with some women who SWEAR by whatever "Dr. Oz" says.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
He's just a celebrity entertainer that happens to have an MD after his name.

When will people understand that TV is for entertainment and not for knowledge?

Right after they learn that most docs know nothing about nutrition. Oz is a complete fraud as is the fraud who created him.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 14:11

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64
I always thought he was a quack before, but when he was on Oprah (eyeroll already) last year with Montel and tried to be an expert on MS....which I have....oh no, nothing he said was even remotely true. In fact, he really represented the disease as something it totally is not.

A few years ago I repeated something I'd heard Dr. Oz say to my husband (a cardiologist). My husband said "Where the heck did you hear that? That's ridiculous!"

Now Dr. Oz appears regularly on Good Morning America and we can't help laughing about the fact that he's always in his scrubs. Dh says "Maybe if he were a better doctor he could afford a suit."
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 14:56
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Wasn't he the guy who on one Oprah show did an 'investigative report' on a 'woman who said she does not overeat yet isn't losing weight' and then it turned out "she was drinking thousands of calories a day in soda and thought it didn't count!" ? That's the biggest bogus 'setup' ever, designed basically just to make anybody who is overweight and swears they aren't living on bonbons to look like a retarded liar. He's an entertainer, period. That he once got a medical degree is less a testament to his current credit than a sad vignette about how far he's fallen. Or it would be, if most the rest of the medical field weren't in the same boat with him, of course.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 15:06

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Dr Oz must be related to Leonard Nimoy, aka Mr Spock on Star Trek. They have the same ears.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 16:27

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniMin
Dr Oz must be related to Leonard Nimoy, aka Mr Spock on Star Trek. They have the same ears.
I never thought of that, but he *does* look like he could play a good Vulcan.

Here the ears are almost there:
http://potentialwithin.files.wordpr.../2010/01/oz.jpg

I can happily say I have never seen Dr. Oz on the TV or even heard him speak. But I hear more than enough *about* him. Yeah, he seems to be purely an entertainer these days, and I guess wearing scrubs is his shtick.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 18:15
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Television is NOT reality. It's just a shoddy imitation of life, starring circus clowns or carny barkers. (who sometimes wear scrubs)

If people killed their televisions and read books...
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 18:28

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Television is NOT reality. It's just a shoddy imitation of life, starring circus clowns or carny barkers. (who sometimes wear scrubs)

If people killed their televisions and read books...

I haven't watched TV at my place in 5 years (Except for Canadian elections). I'm not missing it one bit. I read a lot instead.

Patrick
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 19:13

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
A few years ago I repeated something I'd heard Dr. Oz say to my husband (a cardiologist). My husband said "Where the heck did you hear that? That's ridiculous!"

Now Dr. Oz appears regularly on Good Morning America and we can't help laughing about the fact that he's always in his scrubs. Dh says "Maybe if he were a better doctor he could afford a suit."

I can't even stand to look at the guy and whenever I would flip through the channels and see him, I always wondered why he was in scrubs and Crocs! Come on!! Get some clothes!! He can certainly afford it!!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Dr. Oz is so not a Vulcan!! If he was, he would be more logical and his advice might make more sense!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/230/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

I can't stand Dr. Oz, but it doesn't have much to do with his diet advice. Also, the whole reason why Dr. Oz promotes the whole no meat, no dairy diet is because he and his wife are both vegans. I believe that whatever works for one person may not work for another.

Dr. Oz is just an embarassment. He promotes alternative medicine when he shouldn't, and he likes to promote while wearing scrubs, too. His wife is a "reiki master", go look it up in wikipedia and start laughing. My biggest problem with him is the fact that he is a cardiologist (more so a cardiac surgeon) yet he writes books and gives advice he isn't qualified to give. One of his most recent books is "YOU: Having a Baby"; doesn't anyone think it's weird that a man who isn't a gynecologist is writing a book about pregnancy and childbirth? Worse off, he blind cites everything. "Studies say this, studies say that" but what study, from where, and from when? Most people don't read these studies, but you should know that most studies end up inconclusive because the people who conduct these studies have to publish something to keep their jobs.

I believe Dr. Oz has been blinded by his success and he isn't carrying out what the medical community should be doing. He spends most of his time doing his show, interviews, etc. and not enough time helping those who need it most: victims of cardiac pathology in the OR. And why should he? He makes so much money from just about everything else. He boasts about how much he loves us, but if he really loved us, he would help individuals in a personal and intimate way through patient contact.

I'll admit that I thought Dr. Oz was great at first, because the first episode I saw was the one where he opened up a free clinic in Texas. After a while, I began to think about it and saw how cruel it was. One of the patients was a small girl (infant) with a hole in her heart the interventricular septum I believe). He eventually gave the little girl surgery, but not before putting her on T.V. in his studio, which is wasting time with a devastating disease. If he really cared, he would have offered the surgery first, rather than make money off her appearance on television. He did the same thing with a patient who had oral cancer (which showed through a huge tumor on the lips) and couldn't even speak well. Put him on television too, despite his inability to speak well, and THEN offered surgery.

Cruel!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 23:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniMin

C'mon! There's not a Vulcan on earth who would admit to being a decendant of Dr. Oz! It just is not logical.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-10, 11:21

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

So True!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-10, 13:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm not sure the botox will let him raise the one eyebrow like a proper vulcan, either.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 14:13

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I experienced my first bit of Dr. Oz this week as I was channel surfing. I stopped long enough to hear him giving the dietary advice of cutting out saturated fat by cutting out red meat. Flip! [Changed the channel.]

So tired of hearing this BS.