Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 14:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjs
Sue, that is what they originally told me. 45g of carbs at each meal with two 15g snacks was the minimum I could eat. I'm not really type 1 or type 2. I have a inherited pancreas issue that causes my pancreas to produce insulin at very high levels. Of course, if you produce tons of insulin, your body starts to ignore to protect itself. Eating very LC prevents me from having to produce much insulin at all, so my body is able to function normally. At least for the time being. According to my endocrinologist, she says I may not be producing any insulin at all now because my carbs are so low, my body doesn't need it. Whatever is happening, I feel great for the first time in 10 years!
I'm very lucky that my heart doctor and my endocrinologist have both seen the results I am achieving and have shown me alot of support. My A1C went from 13 to 5.5. I now stay between 70-125 regardless of whether I check it first thing in the morning or 30 minutes after I eat.
My understanding is that the less insulin you use, (even in type 1) the better because the body still becomes resistant to it the more you use whether it is self made or injected. Plus, while it is good for the body to have some to be able to process foods, I've read alot of research that says too much causes alot of issues including increased aging.
Again, I will be staying at under 20 carbs most days for life or until it quits working. Some days I get up to 30 carbs, but still with lower carb foods. My endocrinologist is running a battery of tests on me each time I come in to check all of my vitamin and mineral levels. I think more for her own benefit that mine. She said she wanted to see how my body really acted on induction levels instead of reading what the industry published. She said I was also the first patient she had who truly appeared to be sticking to low carb. I'm very lucky I have her.

Karen, could this be you?

http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/diab/362618.html
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 22:41
"Just keep swimming"

Plan: LCHF (Low Carb/High Fat)
Stats: 199/165/145 Female 63 3/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
What kind of wine? Any?
I primarily drink red wine since it has more antioxidants, but I have had a similar drop in blood sugar with white wine. I just don't have as much history with it to say for sure.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/181/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Obese/Fat/Normal
Progress: 69%

No, I'm not really type 1.5 either. Leave it to me to always be different! LOL

I just inherited a bad pancreas which causes the diabetes symptoms. Eventually it will quit making insulin all together like Type 1.5 though and I will require insulin. My brother is 3 years older than me and he is on a pump. His quit earlier than mine did. He went through a military physical and was fine at 18, but was on insulin by 28.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 15:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

KarenJS, do you take vitamin D supplements?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 04:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/181/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Obese/Fat/Normal
Progress: 69%

I did, but the endocrinologist I see took me off of them. Apparently all of my levels were higher than she wanted them to be. The only supplement she is letting me take is Potassium (prescription).

Off to cruise! See ya next week!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-10, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF.Blogger
I primarily drink red wine since it has more antioxidants, but I have had a similar drop in blood sugar with white wine. I just don't have as much history with it to say for sure.

I've seen low numbers with white wine too but like you I like to get more bang for my buck with the high antioxidant red wine. I think the thing that matters is that the wine dry. Sweet table wines would probably raise the blood sugar.....I don't know for sure because I don't like them.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 08:45

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

A small amount of alcohol increases insulin sensitivity. A lot of alcohol has the opposite effect.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 13:05

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
My understanding is that the less insulin you use, (even in type 1) the better because the body still becomes resistant to it the more you use whether it is self made or injected. Plus, while it is good for the body to have some to be able to process foods, I've read alot of research that says too much causes alot of issues including increased aging.

I low carb, but I do believe that long term low carbing has made me insulin *resistant.* The fewer carbs I eat, the more insulin I need for the smallest carb amount. Other Type 1's have concurred that this is the case; I think that it may be 1) glucogenesis, increased with LC and 2) ketones causing resistance.

V.