Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

a great place to up your fat to healthy levels is with pork belly and eggs.. one of my favorite dishes.. it's a regular dish around here.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 09:18

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i have rarely made it to 80% w/o adding fat just for fat....and it did not seem natural to add fat that i didn't really feel like eating.
i can make it into the 70's which is still high fat. usually 65-75 is where i fall and that amt is very satisfying (i only count when someone asks, maybe 2-3 times/year).
i have a smoothie for breakfast, as well, so that eliminates lots of butter in eggs (yuck).
but still everything is full fat (no chicken breasts), so i'm good.

i agree w margot; don't count. eat what is comfortable.
i also feel that every meal should include fat so maybe add some CO to the protein shake.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Meat/eggs/cheese/vegies
Stats: 304/245/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Any one out there following a plan that calls for around 80% fat?

If so, how the heck do you do it? What exactly do you eat? There's simply no way I can figure out how to do it without eating a ton of calories (which to me is 1600 - 1800) and drinking heavy cream all day.

I just put tomorrow's menu into FitDay and here's what I had to do to get 77% fat with my required amount of protein (64 grams): Protein shake (26 grams protein) in the morning with 1/2 cup heavy cream; 1/2 cup heavy cream for "lunch"; and 5 oz roast chicken breast with the skin and 1 Tbsp butter for dinner. And that's only 77% fat! How the heck does anyone get to 80% fat or even 85% fat?!?!?!?!?!?!

(Before you ask, I'm not into veggies. I don't think they're necessary for optimal nutrition.)

My wife was attempting JK optimal ratios for a while (until she gained all the weight back she had lost doing VLC ).

A typical day of food for her was:

2 hard boiled eggs
2 slices thick cut bacon

8 oz beef brisket
6 oz potato

6 T cream for coffee

P 62g, C 31g, F 127g

Calories 1,515

Drop the potato and you get 81% fat at 1400 calories.

Your protien will only be 58 grams, however. You'd have to monkey it a little to get your protein where you wanted it and keep the calories down where you want them.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 10:03

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm not surprised she gained if she had that much beef and potato at one meal. I do JK and those are over my limits, and I have a protein foundation of 59 g.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 10:55

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Hi wolfstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstrike
Wow Margot great story!! I woke up this morning looking real thin myself.Two meals very high fat with 20 gms potato and 40gms protein.I am amazed at how stable my hunger and blood sugar is off these meals.

Matt,I see you are eating mainly meat w/lunch and dinner.Breakfast is very high fat with the bacon grease and egg yolks.Do you then just eat meat lunch and dinner without adding in extra fat?

Yes, I have found this works best for weight and appetite control.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 10:56

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I think bacon, pork belly, beef sweetbreads and brisket point are the best fat sources. I can also recommend coconut oil.

Those all sound good.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 11:33
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi, I just saw this post. My intake is 75-80% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs, as a percentage of calories.

I do not add fat for the sake of fat (i.e. drink cream, coconut oil, etc.). But I like a lot of high fat items, such as mayonnaise (I eat a lot of mayo), fullfat ranch dressing, cream cheese, and ground beef.

You mentioned needing a quick breakfast - there is a recipe somewhere for "egg muffins" that are basically scrambled egg/omelette baked in muffin tins. I use egg, cream, bacon, green onion and cheese, but you can use pretty much anything you like.

A crustless quiche is also a great source of fat.

I like burger patties topped with mayo, bacon and cheese (though I know you said you like to limit cheese), and mushrooms sauteed in butter.

Cabbage sauteed in bacon is very tasty, fatty, and the leafy greens help with the finber/"binding" issue.

I like "deli rollups" - roast beef and avocado wrapped in a romaine lettuce leaf, dipped into "honey mustard" (mayo, mustard, and liquid sweetener). Of course you can use any type of meat you like.

Also, caesar salad (romaine, caesar dressing (I use Ken's), a little shredded parm, and topped with on ehard-boile egg, plus one hard-boiled yolk only.

And my recent fave: 2 hard-boiled eggs plus an extra yolk, chopped, but not mashed, and crumbled bacon, mixed into mayo and dijon mustard with paprika - basically devilled eggs in a bowl.

Good luck!!

p.s. feel free to browse my MyPlan menus from this summer if you'd like (I haven't MyPlanned in a while, so there isn't much recent stuff)
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 12:17

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Bawdy, like you, I did the 6WC. Lost 7 lbs. in the 6 weeks, and 3 more on 80% fat. I was still drinking one shake per day w/ 1/4 cup CO in it. If I ate eggs, they were fried in approx. 1/4 butter or bacon fat, with the fat poured over them. A salad with tuna on top was covered in 1/4 EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Dinner was not as high in fat, but B & L were always around 80% fat, and I was losing well. Until all hell broke loose---"The Holidays". :-(
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: Meat/eggs/cheese/vegies
Stats: 304/245/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I'm not surprised she gained if she had that much beef and potato at one meal. I do JK and those are over my limits, and I have a protein foundation of 59 g.

That's the breakdown for an entire day following the recommended ratio for her height and weight.

But let's not derail this thread with JK discussion.

I was merely trying to provide an example for BW. I shouldn't have made the aside about weight gain.

Last edited by FwL : Thu, Mar-18-10 at 14:46.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 14:48

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

otay, good enough
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 17:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm referring to 80% of total calories (this goes back to RCFletcher's question).

Geez, I was afraid that 1600 calories (even with 80% fat) was too high in calories for weight loss. Looks like I was wrong.

This might take a while, but I'm defintely going to do it. I won't worry too much about the number of calories; I'll just try to up the fat as much as I can, and keep the carbs as close to 0 as I can.

At the moment, I'm going through a binge with Ritz crackers. They're almost gone, and I won't be buying any more. This was the first package I've purchased in about 6 months. They're tasty, but not worth it in the long run.

Thanks so much for all your input! This is what I wanted to hear.

EDITED TO ADD: I wrote the above after reading all the posts, which I thought ended at page 2. WTF? There's a page 3?!?!?!?!

REALLY good ideas. I should confess that I did two forays into HCG (homeopathic drops). Both times I was able to get down to 175 before totally caving. I know (personally) several people for whom HCG has been a life-saver, but I can't accept it for me. I just don't feel it provides enough nutrients. On the other hand, it must provide the necessary nutrients because the people I know personally have done extremely well and they're not losing their hair or decreasing muscle mass or anything.

That said, I don't think it's for me.

In my heart I know that high-fat/moderate-protein/extremely-low-carbs is the best way to eat. I just need to do it.

Sweets are not my downfall. Crackers are. I think I need to buy some pork rinds and some yummy sour-cream-and-chives dip to satisfy my need for crunch.

Hubby doesn't believe (or doesn't WANT to believe) in this way of eating, so it will always be hard having to make stuff that he wants to eat and balance that with what I know is best for me.

Nothing's ever easy, huh?

You guys have given me some great ideas for what I need to do.

I'd love to keep this thread going, but if anyone wants to follow my progress (or lack thereof), you can always visit my journal.

THANKS again!!!

Last edited by BawdyWench : Thu, Mar-18-10 at 17:10.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 17:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Gee, I thought that my 70%, 5%, 30ish% was a little too high on the fat and low on the protein. But I do count calories to make sure I get enough. I don't want to be under an average of 1700 per day. Sometimes I find that difficult and slide down to 1300 and sometimes I find myself closer to 2000.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 22:15

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natkins
And my recent fave: 2 hard-boiled eggs plus an extra yolk, chopped, but not mashed, and crumbled bacon, mixed into mayo and dijon mustard with paprika - basically devilled eggs in a bowl.
Ooooh, you reminded me of something else I like - instead of mayo, use butter & heat it all up in the microwave.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 07:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I tried HCG a couple times, but could never accept the notion that eating 500 calories was supplying me with enough nutrition, even though everyone insisted that the hcg was using my stores of fat and that the stored fat that would nourish me.
I have trouble believing this too, though actually my son is trying such an experiment now. Apparently Matt Stone challenged him to be a "guinea pig" - based on research what was done back in the 1930s by Drs. Evans and Strang, who did some experimenting with very low calorie diets.

I can't find the full text online, so far only abstracts - but essentially they found that very low calorie worked as long as you got *enough* protein, and kept your various body salts and minerals at optimal levels. They found that people who are trying to *lose* weight need more protein than people who are merely trying to maintain.

I don't know. I don't know if I could do it - though right now I'm sure not having much progress - down a half pound in the last two months. But my son is blogging about his experience with it at:
http://cusickonnutrition.blogspot.com and I think he *is* only taking in about 500 calories a ugh. But he feels the key thing is that he has restored his metabolism on Matt Stone's HED diet and raised his body temperature by several degrees.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 08:27

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I hope those 500 calories are 80% protein, otherwise he will lose lean mass and not just fat.

Patrick