Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 08:52

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie
Hi all, I've just started running - well crawling actually but excuse my ignorance...whats involved W1D1 and W1D2 etc?

Those are from the Couch to 5K Program - a popular training program for new runners that intersperses running with walk breaks. Some will make it seem like you HAVE to do Couch to 5K and, while it's popular, it's by no means required! I never did a beginner's program and I never interspersed walk breaks in my runs.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 09:06

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 183/178/161 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Interesting, I haven't heard of it here yet. Must look it up, thanks.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 10:33

Plan: General LC
Stats: 270/258.8/200 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm so glad I found this thread! I just started C25K last week...Actually, I don't know exactly what I'm doing because I've actually been trying to run everyday, not just 3 times a week and I've increased the timing a little...I've accomplished 7/10 days. Not bad for beginners. I'm also weight training so I want to be ready by early fall. Good luck to everyone!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 19:17

Plan: PP/Atkins mix
Stats: 206/197/140 Female 54
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm trying to work up the courage to start this. I just turned 40. Is that too old to START?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-10, 13:15

BF:

~ Multimom...NO WAY! Its the perfect time to start My husband is training with me and he'll be 40 at the end of the month.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 09:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimom
I'm trying to work up the courage to start this. I just turned 40. Is that too old to START?

There is this nun from San Francisco named Sister Marian who was grossly obese and a smoker before she started running at age 47. Five years later, she became the oldest woman to qualify for the women's Olympics marathon trials (they choose the fastest women from around the country to compete to see who will make the Olympic team - it's a very elite field). You are not too old, you are not too fat, you are not too unathletic and it's not too late. MANY people start in their forties and beyond. Some start in their sixties after open heart surgery has told them to change their lives.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 09:55

BF:

Awsome encouragement jschwab
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-10, 04:42

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimom
40 is not too old at all. I started it at 52 twice, only went through week 3 both times, but it helped me to learn to run/jog at a slower pace. Now I do intervals on the trails during my hikes, only doing what seems comfortable. I found the C25K program very helpful for the little that I did.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 07:40

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Thought I'd try posting this here since I'm giving this program a try..even at 259lbs & completely out of shape. yikes.

Started Week 1 Day 1 of C25K this morning. I took my dogs with me which made it a little bit more difficult since they aren't the greatest on a leash. Wow, I am so out of shape. It was probably a little (ok-ALOT) over zealous of me to think I could actually run..esp when I haven't even really been walking regularly of late or doing any kind of working out for that matter. But I did it. After the first 10 min I was ready to just give up and stop but I finished. That is huge for me. I finished it. My run was definitely a jog and there were a few times I had to stop and rest for a few seconds but I finished. I have a feeling I'll be repeating each week's schedule at least once but ah well.

To be honest not even sure what brought about this desire to try to run. I've always hated running. I think what brought it on is that when I've been walking our 1 dog Layla--she really wants to run. Walking is just not enough to tire her out and she loves to run. I've been doing little sprints with her here & there on our walks and she really wants more..so it got me to wishing I could do more with her. I will say trying to run..ahem I mean jog... and walk with both the dogs this morning was a challenge..but hoping the more we do it the better we will all get.

Of note do feel a little sore now this morning a few hours later..my hip area. Also trying to figure out if I should try eating something (to give me some energy) before I do this program in the mornings? Any input & advice is welcomed & appreciated. THANKS!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/138/105 Female 5ft 1 & 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

ok, so im back! lol.. i had some issues at home and got off track this month but hope to start up again this week!! i'll let you know my progess of starting over again, im pretty upset about that as i made it to almost week 4... oh well.. here we go again!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulie21
ok, so im back! lol.. i had some issues at home and got off track this month but hope to start up again this week!! i'll let you know my progess of starting over again, im pretty upset about that as i made it to almost week 4... oh well.. here we go again!

Yay!! The important thing is you are back!! Hope you have a great week 1!!!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:29

Completed Week 1 Day 2 today..It wasn't easy but I did it.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:45

BF:

I'm in to my third week and I feel like super woman !!!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie
I'm in to my third week and I feel like super woman !!!

Wow! That's wonderful! Hopefully one day I'll be feeling the same way!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 13:22

BF:

You are super woman, didn't you just win the 5lb challenge????