Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: not clear
Stats: 140/160/160 Male 189 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
I just get fed up with people ignoring facts and pushing a vegetarian agenda that is not healthy. Just google vegan/vegetarian and all the information is positive. Google meat and carnivore and negativity abounds. Propaganda works but we shouldn't be using it here on a low carb board.

Indeed, the media embrases the positive effects of a vegetarian diet. Systematically evaluating the available evidence often is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Here's more on the subject of diet and health:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/th...fact-or-fallac/

Basically, she says wheat, not meat, is most closely associated with disease.

Is that what she says, or what she found evaluating results from this particular study?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 08:37

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatzo
Is that what she says, or what she found evaluating results from this particular study?

Check it out for yourself.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 12:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Check it out for yourself.

Since when can results from ecological studies be considered clinically relevant?

The author from the China Study asked 6,500 subjects about their food consumption in 1983, and then simply linked this data to causes of death from several diseases in 1973-75!

6,500 subjects is only a small amount of subjects. Most cohort studies included well over 20,000 subjects. Some even up to half a million. And data about food consumption was not linked to disease outcome/mortality on an individual level. Data about food consumption was linked to causes of death from other individuals, 8-10 years before the food was consumed............
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatzo
Since when can results from ecological studies be considered clinically relevant?

The author from the China Study asked 6,500 subjects about their food consumption in 1983, and then simply linked this data to causes of death from several diseases in 1973-75!

6,500 subjects is only a small amount of subjects. Most cohort studies included well over 20,000 subjects. Some even up to half a million. And data about food consumption was not linked to disease outcome/mortality on an individual level. Data about food consumption was linked to causes of death from other individuals, 8-10 years before the food was consumed............

You make good points. You should share them with the blog author, Denise Minger. She'd be very interested.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRealFoo
I'm really confused
My aunt was diagnosed with terminal liver and pancreatic cancer, carcinoma. She started itching and her skin became yellow and they thought she suffered with icterus but eventually found the cancer and the metastasis.

She is the fourth member of my family who develop cancer and like the other one she has always been an heavy meat eater with a special dislike for bread, rice and most veggies. She grew eating grilled meat and lot of steak.

My parents are now feeding her vegetables juices and fresh fruits and her health, in spite of their condition, is improving since eating only plants.

I started searching "cancer survivors" and "diet" or "alternative therapies" on the net and I found only references to eating more plants and less meat.

Researchers at the University of Victoria in British Columbia did a follow up on 200 persons who underwent cancer remission and 90% of them had switched to a vegetarian diet.

I found lot of stories of people drinking only carrot juice and healing from cancer but I could found nothing about going into cancer remission while eating roast-beef and lard.

In fact the most ardent zero carb person I know, The Bear, developed cancer several years after switching to an only meat diet. According to his story he had always eaten a lot of meat but switched to an only meat diet in his 20's and developed cancer in his 60's.

Dr. Williard J. Visek a research scientist at Cornell University even claims to have found the reason why meat increases cancer risk, being the metabolism of ammonia.

I think it's kind of thought-provoking that all people in cancer remission are eating lot of veggies and fruits, that all people who switched to a diet with lot of veggies and fruits lived a long life with no more health issues, that there's no information, study or positive statistics about people going into cancer remission eating nothing but meat and that so far all the long term meat eater we know of had severe health problems late in life (Stefansson, The Bear... and others I can't remember)

This is the real life, not some kind of philosophical battle of who's right.
We're all humans and we want to live a long disease free life. My mind is changing about ZC, very low carb and the healthiness of eating lot of meat.

This thread is in the war zone but let's not make this a "war thread"
What I'm going through is really painful and I don't want wars.

Chrisor,

I'm sorry your family is going through such a tough time! I hope your Aunt is feeling better.

I would like you to consider the scary fact that this runs in your family! This may have more to do with YOU than any other fact. Please take care of your health in advance if possible.

I want to share with you my FIL's story.
He was old and healthy, & had quit drinking 10 years earlier. Had a kidney removed due to cancer & quit smoking then.

He was getting sick & his blood sugar was completly off the charts high blood sugar. We are talking 730.
He is hospitalized for a week.
Now they tell him that he will have to take insulin the rest of his life or he will surely die. He TOLD THEM Get me out of this hospital! What you are feeding me is killing me! All this bread and starch, I'm supposed to be a diabetic and look what comes in here on my tray!

"You Can't Leave Here Sir, You Will Die."

He left that hospital after he got up, took walks around the halls, cut down on the crap they sent him to eat. Then the young lady dietician finally says well, you will still die with out this insulin, take it when you get home. He said no way.
This guy went home, ate the way he knew from living in the country. And was in control of his diabetes for many years. Which totally flipped out the dietician's mind! Everything she learn in school was totally false.

Later on he gets cancer. In the later stages, he & my husband were out and got hungry & FIL says let's go to McDonalds.
I can eat that food now. The cancer eats up everything that turns to sugar, I won't have a blood sugar issue at all. And he didn't.
He didn't have to deal with his blood sugar the rest of his life. ((RIP))
Cancer was bad enough.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 04:57

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...71113074933.htm

This artice cites research on animals that indicate that carbs are the problem in cancer, not the fat :

"The researchers hypothesized that since serum insulin and a related substance known as insulin-like growth factor (IGF) had been linked with the growth of prostate tumors in earlier research in mice, a reduction in the body's levels of these substances might slow tumor growth, Freedland said.

The researchers compared tumor growth in 75 mice that were eating either a low-carbohydrate diet, a low-fat but high-carbohydrate diet, or a Western diet, high in fat and carbohydrates.

The mice that ate a low-carbohydrate diet had the longest survival and smallest tumor size, Freedland said.

"Low-fat mice had shorter survival and larger tumors while mice on the Western diet had the worst survival and biggest tumors," he said. "In addition, though both the low-carb and low-fat mice had lower levels of insulin, only the low-carb mice had lower levels of the form of IGF capable of stimulating tumor growth."

The low-carbohydrate diet definitely had the most significant effect on tumor growth and survival, he said."

This is about prostate cancer. But I can imagine that all cancers share some common characteristics.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 10:45

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

My family has had deaths from cervical, pancreatic and breast ca.
My GM died of breast ca in her 70's. I don't know details about whether she used any HRT. That was in the late '60's and the family had never eaten junk food but home cooked mixed meals...never any obesity. She had 5 sisters and she was the only ca death.

My sister died of of cerv. ca and let's not forget that this is caused by HPV. Same as the Bears throat ca. It is sexually transmitted.
When my sister had it there was not much known about it.

My mother died of pancreatic ca. She raised us following Adelle Davis and as the years rolled on became more vegetarian finally just eating an organic, whole grain based diet....plenty of vegies, rarely wheat.

When I was vegan/raw I attended may gatherings where peop were attempting to cure ca and I never saw it happen. I did see remissions but not for any real length of time.
Same w macrobiotics which I taught for some years.

There may not be evidence for fat/meat but there are plenty of aging lc'ers and some that lived long.
I really don't see that in vegetarians.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 06:56

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Wow Jem, you really had a lot of cancer in your family. It must have been hard to lose so many people that were close to you.

Didn't the founder of Macrobiotics die of cancer himself? Or his wife maybe?

You were obviously raised on a good diet, Adelle Davis was ahead of her time in the world of nutrition. My mother was an Adelle Davis fan, too.

Its hard to know what really causes cancer, it seems to cross all barriers and is a respecter of no one. Threads like these help us understand the scientific findings and that really helps when we're deciding what WOE we want to follow. Especially when the vegans and the media keep telling us to do the opposite of what we're doing with a low carb diet.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 11:57

Yes Anni, my family is just garden variety.

I know that Michio and Avaline both had some ca but haven't kept up on who died.
Aveline had cerv. so I'm thinking probably caused by HPV and her womanizing husband...of course she had a few relationships as well, from what I hear. His were more visible.

One thing we do know is that all these cancers have become epidemic right along side the food pyramid.

Pancreatic ca was nearly unknown outside of certain lifestyles (alcoholics were the main). Now, it is common. Really.
As a hospice RN it is not out of the ordinary to have someone on our service w it. It is so evil.
We only have 60-70 pt total.

All cancers have skyrocketed, though. And vegetarians are no exeption. In fact they don't seem to be a long lived bunch for the most part.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 12:09

Okay, so I see that Aveline died at the age of 78 of cerv ca. Diagnosed 9 yrs previous and treated w radiation.
Must've been pretty advanced since usually the offending area is removed. It is quite treatable.
The other thing is that she may not have known since macrobiotics control/cures so she may not have seen an MD until she had symptoms....which would be late stage and possibly mets.

Michio now has colon ca. He is 81.

Neither were really, really, old....especially Aveline.

I would never again be fashioning my woe after them.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 20:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...71113074933.htm

This artice cites research on animals that indicate that carbs are the problem in cancer, not the fat :

"The researchers hypothesized that since serum insulin and a related substance known as insulin-like growth factor (IGF) had been linked with the growth of prostate tumors in earlier research in mice, a reduction in the body's levels of these substances might slow tumor growth, Freedland said.

The researchers compared tumor growth in 75 mice that were eating either a low-carbohydrate diet, a low-fat but high-carbohydrate diet, or a Western diet, high in fat and carbohydrates.

The mice that ate a low-carbohydrate diet had the longest survival and smallest tumor size, Freedland said.

"Low-fat mice had shorter survival and larger tumors while mice on the Western diet had the worst survival and biggest tumors," he said. "In addition, though both the low-carb and low-fat mice had lower levels of insulin, only the low-carb mice had lower levels of the form of IGF capable of stimulating tumor growth."

The low-carbohydrate diet definitely had the most significant effect on tumor growth and survival, he said."

This is about prostate cancer. But I can imagine that all cancers share some common characteristics.

And how reliable is animal research?

Quote:
Dietary glycemic index, glycemic load, and risk of cancer: a prospective cohort study.
Previous studies have provided limited evidence for a harmful effect of high glycemic index and dietary glycemic load on cancer. The authors analyzed associations among glycemic index, glycemic load, and risk of cancer in women and men in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study. Published glycemic index values were assigned to 225 foods/food groups. Glycemic load was calculated by multiplying the glycemic index, carbohydrate content, and intake frequency of individual foods reported on a food frequency questionnaire. From 1995 through 2003, the authors identified 15,215 and 33,203 cancer cases in women and men, respectively. Cox proportional hazards models were used to estimate multivariate relative risks and 95% confidence intervals. For women and men, respectively, the relative risks for total cancer for high versus low glycemic index were 1.03 (P(trend)=0.217) and 1.04 (P(trend)=0.012) and, for glycemic load, were 0.90 (P(trend)=0.024) and 0.93 (P(trend)=0.01). Associations with total cancer held only among the overweight for glycemic index and among those of healthy weight for glycemic load. These findings suggest that glycemic index and glycemic load are not strong predictors of cancer incidence. The direction and small magnitude of associations might be explained by the manner in which high glycemic index and glycemic load track with overall diet and lifestyle patterns.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19095757

Effects from carbohydrates will probably differ largely by the type of carbohydrates consumed. For example, whole grains may actually help prevent diabetes, and heart disease.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 22:44

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
For example, whole grains may actually help prevent diabetes, and heart disease.

Sorry,but if you believe that^^^..I got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you...
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 10:30

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Even if whole grains are good for you and could possibly prevent cancer, some people can't tolerate them at all.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
Sorry,but if you believe that^^^..I got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you...

Contrary to lots of people, I never base my ideas on what I "believe". I base my ideas on results from systematic reviews of the literature

Though results from prospective cohort studies are never able to provide "absolute" evidence, as randomized trials do. They are the next best line of evidence in the absence of randomized trials.

Quote:
Whole grain foods for the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
BACKGROUND: Diet as one aspect of lifestyle is thought to be one of the modifiable risk factors for the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Information is needed as to which components of the diet could be protective for this disease.
OBJECTIVES: To asses the effects of whole-grain foods for the prevention of T2DM.
SEARCH STRATEGY: We searched CENTRAL, MEDLINE, EMBASE, CINAHL and AMED.
SELECTION CRITERIA: We selected cohort studies with a minimum duration of five years that assessed the association between intake of whole-grain foods or cereal fibre and incidence of T2DM. Randomised controlled trials lasting at least six weeks were selected that assessed the effect of a diet rich in whole-grain foods compared to a diet rich in refined grain foods on T2DM and its major risk factors.
DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two authors independently selected the studies, assessed study quality and extracted data. Data of studies were not pooled because of methodological diversity.
MAIN RESULTS: One randomised controlled trial and eleven prospective cohort studies were identified. The randomised controlled trial, which was of low methodological quality, reported the change in insulin sensitivity in 12 obese hyperinsulinemic participants after six-week long interventions. Intake of whole grain foods resulted in a slight improvement of insulin sensitivity and no adverse effects. Patient satisfaction, health related quality of life, total mortality and morbidity was not reported. Four of the eleven cohort studies measured cereal fibre intake, three studies whole grain intake and two studies both. Two studies measured the change in whole grain food intake and one of them also change in cereal fibre intake. The incidence of T2DM was assessed in nine studies and changes in weight gain in two studies. The prospective studies consistently showed a reduced risk for high intake of whole grain foods (27% to 30%) or cereal fibre (28% to 37%) on the development of T2DM.
AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: The evidence from only prospective cohort trials is considered to be too weak to be able to draw a definite conclusion about the preventive effect of whole grain foods on the development of T2DM. Properly designed long-term randomised controlled trials are needed. To facilitate this, further mechanistic research should focus on finding a set of relevant intermediate endpoints for T2DM and on identifying genetic subgroups of the population at risk that are most susceptible to dietary intervention.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18254091

Quote:
Whole grain, bran, and germ intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study and systematic review.
BACKGROUND: Control of body weight by balancing energy intake and energy expenditure is of major importance for the prevention of type 2 diabetes, but the role of specific dietary factors in the etiology of type 2 diabetes is less well established. We evaluated intakes of whole grain, bran, and germ in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in prospective cohort studies.
METHODS AND FINDINGS: We followed 161,737 US women of the Nurses' Health Studies (NHSs) I and II, without history of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or cancer at baseline. The age at baseline was 37-65 y for NHSI and 26-46 y for NHSII. Dietary intakes and potential confounders were assessed with regularly administered questionnaires. We documented 6,486 cases of type 2 diabetes during 12-18 y of follow-up. Other prospective cohort studies on whole grain intake and risk of type 2 diabetes were identified in searches of MEDLINE and EMBASE up to January 2007, and data were independently extracted by two reviewers. The median whole grain intake in the lowest and highest quintile of intake was, respectively, 3.7 and 31.2 g/d for NHSI and 6.2 and 39.9 g/d for NHSII. After adjustment for potential confounders, the relative risks (RRs) for the highest as compared with the lowest quintile of whole grain intake was 0.63 (95% confidence interval [CI] 0.57-0.69) for NHSI and 0.68 (95% CI 0.57-0.81) for NHSII (both: p-value, test for trend <0.001). After further adjustment for body mass index (BMI), these RRs were 0.75 (95% CI 0.68-0.83; p-value, test for trend <0.001) and 0.86 (95% CI 0.72-1.02; p-value, test for trend 0.03) respectively. Associations for bran intake were similar to those for total whole grain intake, whereas no significant association was observed for germ intake after adjustment for bran. Based on pooled data for six cohort studies including 286,125 participants and 10,944 cases of type 2 diabetes, a two-serving-per-day increment in whole grain consumption was associated with a 21% (95% CI 13%-28%) decrease in risk of type 2 diabetes after adjustment for potential confounders and BMI.
CONCLUSIONS: Whole grain intake is inversely associated with risk of type 2 diabetes, and this association is stronger for bran than for germ. Findings from prospective cohort studies consistently support increasing whole grain consumption for the prevention of type 2 diabetes.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17760498

Quote:
Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis.
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Whole grain food sources have been associated with lowered risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Studies in recent years have strengthened this observation and elucidated potential mechanisms for this association. This study sought to quantitate the available observational evidence on whole grain intake and clinical cardiovascular events.
METHODS AND RESULTS: Seven prospective cohort studies with quantitative measures of dietary whole grains and clinical cardiovascular outcomes were identified from MEDLINE searches and a review of the literature. Based on event estimates adjusted for cardiovascular risk factors, greater whole grain intake (pooled average 2.5 servings/d vs. 0.2 servings/d) was associated with a 21% lower risk of CVD events [OR 0.79 (95% CI: 0.73-0.85)]. Similar estimates were noted for different CVD outcomes (heart disease, stroke, fatal CVD) and in sex-specific analyses. Conversely, refined grain intake was not associated with incident CVD events [1.07 (0.94-1.22)].
CONCLUSIONS: There is a consistent, inverse association between dietary whole grains and incident cardiovascular disease in epidemiological cohort studies. In light of this evidence, policy-makers, scientists, and clinicians should redouble efforts to incorporate clear messages on the beneficial effects of whole grains into public health and clinical practice endeavors.

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17449231
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 14:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

That just demonstrates that whole grains are better than whatever they might have otherwise been eating: candy, white bread, potato chips, beer, whatever. Better idea: eliminate grains completely.