Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 17:41

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishercat
Get rid of the nuts. Those are a big stomach irritant between the tannins and phytic acid.

Yeah I know nuts don't do me any good. I soak them overnight to reduce the tannins and phytic acid but I am considering cutting down the amt I eat.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 17:14
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

EatRealFoo - you might want to look into the Vitamin D3 connection with cancer. Vitamin D3 comes from the sun, not so much from diet. Your mother's cancer may have very little to do with her diet.

*Sorry, I mean your aunt.

Last edited by Wyvrn : Tue, Feb-02-10 at 17:38.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 20:43

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Once someone has cancer, a ketogenic diet makes a lot of sense. Sugar fuels cancer, all doctors agree. Cancer can be caused by different factors, such as environment - like exposure to jet fuel; or fungal poison, aflatoxin, common in American tobacco; or many other reasons. Cell phone use promotes brain cancer.

Maintaining a healthy thyroid and metabolism is one key to preventing heart disease and cancer. This means eating adequate protein, but not excessive protein. Eating some carbs, but not too many carbs. Eating good fats such as lard, and avoiding polyunsaturated vegetable oils. If hypothyroid, take thyroid medication. Some vegetables such as cabbage have anti-cancer chemicals.
Okinawans eat a lot of pork, from the days when China controlled the islands centuries ago.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 16:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Heavy meat eater that says it all, this is why i made up my low carb diet of good foods.

What you have read and seen is true, red meat and saturated fats are bad for you.

But there is no reason to swtich your diet, make sure to cut out process foods number one, soft drinks even diet ones, and red meat, bacon, and all that saturated fat.

Get your protein source from whole food which will make you burn more fat true digestion, chicken, eggs, sirloin lean cut, fish and whey protein that as been shown to be effective in cancer prevention.

Never cut out veggies, they have way to much benefits and there glycemic index is so low they will not affect insulin, i eat broccoli, califlour, onions, spinach, dont eat carrots or corn theses are bad.

I allow myself around 50g of carbs each day and will eat frozen berries after training, because again they have cancer prevention in them.

You dont really need stratch, they do reak havoc in your body, and am sure that they are responsible for my weight gain.

Cancer is out of control right now, there as to be a reason for this and its not pollution, its all that process food people eat, fast food and the stress of daily living, jobs and other bull like that.

You dont have to eat that much to get full benefits a cup of mixed veggies will do the trick each day, and will not bust your carb number.

Also fish oil or eat more salmon or tuna to get Omega 3 EFA.

My father passed away in 2006 of stage 4 colon cancer, it is very important for people to get screened each year and as we get older every 6 months.

I have witness many people who eat like pigs, sugar and all the bad foods like my grand mother who is 87 years old and still active and she never got cancer, compared to my father who was very active physically, ate a lot of fruits and vegetable and not a lot of meat. He did smoke a bit but many people smoke and never get cancer.

I get a blood test each year and a exam each year as well and i am only 37.

This is the best prevention at least in my views.

Last edited by realdeal31 : Fri, Feb-05-10 at 16:40.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 18:22

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
What you have read and seen is true, red meat and saturated fats are bad for you.
Sorry. Not true.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 19:15

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

There are supercentenarians who smoke two packs of cigarettes a day or got sloshed most of their lives. It doesn't make either activity free from risk. Skimping on meat and eating a tonne of carbs may be perfectly healthy for some people, but it could be they just dodged a bullet. Or they had health problems connected to carb intake which may not be as obvious as dropping dead of a heart attack at a relatively young age or wasting away from cancer.

When a vegetarian gets cancer, why is it never about diet then?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Then explain why Linda McCarty died of fast spreading breast cancer after being a life long vegan and a organic vegan at that?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 06:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

If anything, this string of comments shows one thing.

We are all shooting in the dark just as much as most people do when trying to tie a consequence with a circumstance.

The truth is...(as another poster said)

People are varied, some die of cancer, some don't, some die of heart attacks, some don't.

why again are we linking meat to any of these unfortunate circumstances? We haven't the faintest clue why this stuff happens.

I do know one thing.

While low carbing, eating MEAT and some veggies, and keeping my fat intake up, causes me to:

1.) Lose weight
2.) Have more energy
3.) Have better "stats" such as cholestrol and such

Beyond that...It's all a guess.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 07:23

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

realdeal31 How about some links to that bull. I 'd love to read it .. Thank you .. Ron*
PS Wifezilla Right on (-:
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 09:47

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
People are varied, some die of cancer, some don't, some die of heart attacks, some don't.
And the rates at which people die of these particular diseases can be DIRECTLY tied to diet. Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Look up the Tokelau Native study, the Massai and the Pima Indians for starters.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 15:05

Plan: organic
Stats: 230/134/128 Female 5ft 4 in
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Even then, there is one common denominator we can count on, it's the absolute amount of sugar we can eat before we fall out of ketosis. That number is around 130 grams per day. Above this and we can be sure that we won't stay in ketosis for long. Below this and we can safely say that we will be in ketosis for most of the day. The reasoning for this is the total amount of glucose we consume during the day and that is pretty much the same for everybody regardless of genetics or any other predisposition. Considering that ketosis stimulates the direct recycling of junk protein, then it's safe to say that this is a good barometer of the actual risk of developing cancer.

I really love your posts!! I enjoy your thinking and reasoning. Marilyn
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-10, 16:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Okinawans eat about 100 grams of meat per day-compared to 70 in Japan and just over 20 in China-and at least an equal amount of fish, for a total of about 200 grams per day, compared to 280 grams per person per day of meat and fish in America. Lard-not vegetable oil-is used in cooking.
I wonder if the OP's aunt ate a lot of veggie oils.......

Jenny
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 06:48

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse
I really love your posts!! I enjoy your thinking and reasoning. Marilyn

Marilyn,

How did you come up with the handle stevemorse?
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 22:17

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 224/182/148 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi all,
I just have to share something with you that I think answers a LOT of questions about the American diet and disease, specifically meat. I just saw a documentary called Food, Inc. (If you have Netflix, it's a "watch now" movie. Anybody seen it?
It will shock you, it did me. And I always thought I was pretty well informed.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 08:33

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 224/182/148 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 55%

It seems that our food is not at all what we think it is. Animals are being force-fed corn, which they cannot digest, unless they are shot full of drugs to force their bodies to get fat from it. They are also shot full of antibotics because the plants they're raised in are repulsively filthy, hormones for creating deformed animals that have more of the type meat on them consumers want to buy, and chickens are now being washed with ammonia in order to solve the salmonella problem from the environment they live in. So, when we think we are eating non-processed food......The film is chock-full of a lot of other information, too. You will see how the lab keeps changing the seed (GMOs) and is replacing all the natural seed from the earth. No wonder why people are getting sick. Oh, and corn products, mostly high fructose corn syrup, is used as a filler in EVERYTHING. (even non-food items) We are eating corn constantly, if we eat standard American fare, anyway. It's a very calm and factual film. I wish everyone would watch it...maybe we could get rid of this deceit.