Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 13:53

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default My "ex" endo just cursed at me!!!

This man is a good friend of my husbands. Stupid me, thought I'd ask him some questions about RT3. I mean, dang, he was just over here watching games with my DH last week. Well, he got mad and said "Are you doing that low carb thing again?" I told him no, not VLC or Atkin's but am trying to do SB's weight loss since Jan. 1st!' THEN....he said "Just go and pay for liposuction and leave your damn glands alone!"

Yes, I have contemplated lipo! Who hasn't? I can't BELIEVE he said this to me. I said "And THIS is why I have changed doctors! SEE YA!"

WTH???

Last edited by aeroangie : Tue, Jan-12-10 at 14:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 14:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Whoa! That was damned rude.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 14:43

BF:

I know! See if he gets another free deep sea excursion!

***Had to add - I think he is mad that I managed to convince my female endo that I needed T3. He really seemed against giving me anything and now that I think about this more, she has tried me on Metformin for insulin resistance (no response) and then she started me on T3 and T4 because of all the rashes, hair loss, etc. I think since they had somewhat different opinions, I managed to make her look better and they are in the same practice so maybe he is insulted somehow? My hair quit falling out and I feel a little better, so maybe, just maybe he wasn't right?

Regardless, I have decided I am going to try T3 only and get off the Synthroid now so I will probably wind up pissing both of them off!!!

Last edited by aeroangie : Tue, Jan-12-10 at 22:24.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 365/248/180 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 63%

Playing marbles with our hormones with medication is worse than playing Russian Roulette only the death is a lot slower and more painful. Sometimes a lifetime in the making. Try breaking your sugar and hybrid carbohydrate addiction and if you can, see your health return to your original self like you were born with. -- Sugar and hybrid carbohydrates mess with our hormones bigtime themselves.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 13:14

BF:

Toofat - really not sure I get where you are coming from. I avoid sugar and have for years and don't know what you mean by hybrid carbohydrates? I was on Atkin's for many years, but now am on South Beach. My endo didn't want me on that few carbs because he thinks people with Hashi's thyroid problems need more in the way of carbs, plus I workout a lot. He thinks I focus too much on weight loss and thinks I do extreme things (ie - Atkins) to try to lose what he considers "vanity" pounds. I disagree with him and think 15 or 20 pounds is the start of a bad trend. As the goiter in my neck grows from the Hashi's, my hypothyroid symptoms are increasing and I just want something done about it because I am freezing cold all the time. I am trying to help myself because they doctors are not LISTENING!

Again, I don't know what your are basing you assumptions on. I have an autoimmune disease....not just a thyroid condition!

Last edited by aeroangie : Fri, Jan-15-10 at 13:38.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 10:39
Registered Member

BF:

"Hybrid Carbohydrate Addiction" is what everybody has and can't break because they don't know they have it and won't acknowledge it even exists much less that it is what they have and what is causing all of there symptoms and problems including thyroid disorders and hypoglycemia and fibromyalgia and diabetes and depression and bi/polar and weight gain and dozens more.

Sugar is sugar is sugar, it is all poison and in every form and in all quantities, be it milk or fruit or vegetables or grains or anything else out there.

The "career diet club", which is just about everybody in these groups and boards will not acknowledge this or they would have to break there addictions and they are not going to do that.

Natures carbohydrates do not include these fruits and vegetables and alcohol and grains and milk that are all hybrid a thousand times to raise there carbohydrate count to make them more desirable and salable.

Every single person on this planet earth, fat, skinny or average and in perfect or failing health is a "Hybrid Carbohydrate Addict"!

You can be sure I will get kicked all over the place by saying this and that "credentials" and "scientific studies" be supplied so don't expect anybody to agree with this.

So everybody can just go there "merry way" and remain addicted to hybrid carbohydrates and I'm this stupid "Jackass".

I don't mind that, it's just that this one simple fact could cure so much mental/psychical suffering in this world, that it is sad that so few can see and comprehend this.

Carbohydrates are potent dangerous stimulant drugs the way we consume them.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 11:03

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofat2

Every single person on this planet earth, fat, skinny or average and in perfect or failing health is a "Hybrid Carbohydrate Addict"!

Then what's the point, if you can be in perfect health as a hybrid addict?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 13:11

BF:

What is the point if you have an autoimmune condition?

"Researchers discovered that variants of two genes, interleukin 12A (IL12A) and interleukin 12RB2 (IL12RB2), were strongly associated with primary biliary cirrhosis. These two genes constitute a pathway of the immune system."

I am researching autoimmune disorders because three of our five family members have developed them and when you develop one, it is highly likely you will develop more. So you honestly believe what I am dealing with, Hashimoto's, is from "hybrid carbohydrates?" I have heard a lot of things as a member here and that is definitely a very far fetched theory. But thanks for the input. I am sure you probably mean well, but I had never experienced or read anything in my whole life that would persuade me to believe this is true.

So you are on Atkin's??? It doesn't sound like it. Doesn't even sound like Atkins '72. More like Zero Carbs. Hashimoto's patients don't do as well on Zero Carb. I am trying to lose 14 more pounds so I have a real struggle to get to my goal. I am also trying to understand Hashimoto's and this is most likely not something that could have been changed by my diet, from what I have learned thus far.

If you are going to state something like this, sources would be appreciated, otherwise I have to think it is some rambling from a person that knows even less than I do (which ain't much - sorry!)

Here is a video about sugar, and this is a person whose opinion I believe. Notice in the hour and a half lecture, he says nothing about hybrid carbohydrates and he strikes me as a person that would definitely KNOW. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do!!! We can at least agree that sugar is poison. This video explains that very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

"Hybrid Carbohydrate Addicts" will defend to the death there use and addiction of same! Just like the addicted rats!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 15:59

BF:

When did your light bulb go off with this revolutionary, life altering knowledge? Did you get this stunning revelation after becoming morbidly obese? So, it took something this extreme to help you figure out you needed to make some better food choices?

If so, you are not really in a position to advise me (you know this right?) unless you are indeed saying "Don't do what I did....whatever you do!" Is that what you are saying? If you were as smart as you claim to be, you'd be looking seriously into something more advanced (maybe like leptin resistance?) and you'd be trying to figure out what caused your extreme problem. If I almost killed myself with food, and had doubled my natural body weight, I'd be looking the world over at study after study. Have you done this? To be sure you have....so where are your sources?

Why didn't a man with your "superior intelligence" figure out the complex reason for obesity before you reached a staggering 365 pounds? You couldn't see something was definitely wrong - even at just 20 pounds overweight - as smart as you are claiming to be now??? So you have solved the whole world's obesity problem but now won't share any of your sources? Where are all the studies proving what you are saying?

In conclusion, I'd have to agree with your earlier post about you being a jackass. Also, for the record, I don't believe in the whole "disease" concept of "addiction." People have choices and continue to make either good or bad ones. They can choose to control their impulses at any time. They can choose to be healthy....except of course.....in the case of natural diseases. I have a natural disease.

What is your excuse and why are you on the thyroid board posting this???? You have helped no one but you have given me a laugh today so I guess that is worth something! You are starting to sound like a troll to me because you definitely are not doing Atkin's either. You should change the name of your plan to "MY OWN" and when you cite sources, just put "MY OWN" so people will know how quickly your advice can be thrown out the window.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 16:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Angie, sometimes it's just a lot easier to ignore people than argue with 'em.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 16:10

BF:

I just don't want people reading on here to be misinformed about the complex issue of obesity. People are looking for real answers and I just don't think this is any kind of scientifically legitimate response.

Oh yeah.....Hey Nancy!!!

***As an aside, I hate to say that I found his blog when I googled "hybrid carbohydrates."

http://thebunnellfarm.blogspot.com/

Tom, are you the least bit aware that you still have not defined what a hybrid carbohydrate even is? I think you need to go over to the Weight Watcher's forum and preach over there for a while. However, if you are brave enough to do this, do try to include some periods in your sentences. I am not trying to be insulting either, but if you want to come across as knowledgable, you won't do it without a basic understanding of sentence structuring. It's comical how long your blog quote from this forum is..... and it reminds me a lot of of how a 5 year old speaks and I do know what I am talking about and really I do because you should just believe what I say because I am the bestest and I know everything because I have lost some weight and now I have a belief and you should all believe me because I know the real hidden truth but you have to take my word for it.

Please sir..... I can't take you seriously based on lack of punctuation alone!

Last edited by aeroangie : Sat, Jan-16-10 at 21:16.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 06:11
Registered Member

BF:

Tell me more about this "disease" that you have!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 12:34

BF:

Tom, OK, I am going to try to explain it to you but please don't be so crass in return by saying things like I am "playing marbles with my hormones" or that my disease is due to something I have done to myself because I am "addicted to sugar and hybrid carbohydrates." Both of these assumptions are wrong, and quite frankly, are insulting, so let me tell you that right up front!

I have a large multinodular cyst in my thyroid gland and have a high TPO antibody count. This is the same autoimmune thyroid disease my mother and older brother also have, plus now my sister has tested positive for the antibodies - though hasn't seen an endo yet. The disease is called Hashimoto's. For some history, I am 47 and have never had any problem controlling my weight before this whole mess started (I shouldn't say weight since it's only 15 pounds I am struggling with but it IS significant to me even if I am not "textbook" overweight.)

I am a retired fitness trainer so am hyper aware of every body change, and think this could be the start of something significant. Prior to this, I went against traditional wisdom many years ago and went on Atkin's, felt very well and therefore have stayed on Atkin's for many years. When the weight gain came, I went back on strict induction for 6 months in Jan. of last year. It was during this time I figured out something was definitely wrong because I could not get below 143 and I am normally 133. Fortunately (or un) I have a large goiter in my neck so it didn't take long to figure out I have thyroid disease. I say this because many people have a problem like mine for years and doctors don't listen and they are really suffering - gaining constantly and feeling worse and worse. I have been diligent about controlling any more weight gain (through exercise I believe), but now, have decided once again (summer is coming!) to try to reduce which had proven to be extremely hard.

As many here on the thyroid board have explained, doctors are reluctant to treat hypothyroidism in an "euthyroid" patient, but some of my symptoms have been severe enough so my enodcrinologist is trying me on low doses on both Synthroid and now Cytomel to help - (Synthroid to shrink the goiter, Cytomel for some of the other symptoms.) Symptoms have been very low body temps, extreme hair loss, unexplained large rashes, low sex drive, fatigue, joint pain, dry eyes, weight gain. Some of the symptoms (ie. - rashes, hair loss, fatigue) have been helped but not enough to say I feel well, like my normal very energetic self.

I am losing a little faster this time, trying a different approach, because my new endo wants me to have at least 60 to 70 carbs daily. By "carbs" I mean dairy, beans, low GI fruits, and vegetable sources....not processed sources. This is to fuel my workouts and to try to speed up my metabolism. So, I am trying it their way for another month. After that, I am going to take my health into my own hands, get blood tests on my own, and figure out what they might not want to take the time to do.

Understand??? Also, I wasn't trying to be negative or insulting to you. I am looking for real feedback, real scientific advice, and credible sources of information to help myself. Since you make claims but are unwilling to cite sources, I had to throw your advice out the window and not take anything you said seriously at all! You came across as a rude, presumptious, uncaring know-it-all to me. Sorry, I call 'em as I see 'em! Hope you can learn to be more supportive of people with problems and that is why I took the time to respond. Any more flippant responses from you, and I will choose to ignore you from now on.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

A glass of Kool-Aid and a glass of Milk and a glass of Pop and a glass of Orange Juice and a glass of Apple Juice are all the same. -- Pure Sugar -- Pure Poison!

I didn't make these facts, I'm just stating them.

The same is true with our vegetables and grains and lentils and whatnot.

I didn't make up these facts either, I'm just stating them.

"Forced Exercise" forces metabolism and body chemistry changes, especially when fed the above poisons and stimulant drugs.

Speed and carbohydrates do the same thing to people.

We are dope addicts and our bodies and our minds are paying the price for our addictions to these stimulant drugs that we have been taught and rationalize to be healthy foods.

We feed them to our babies.

How to get well while eating and drinking poison is like bathing in sewer water and trying not to stink.

Impossible!

(no credentials or scientific data provided)

There are none!