Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 23:50

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melberry
So, yes, I believe that mother's milk could cause insulin resistance in children if the mother's diet is high in carbohydrate (which seems to be the case in modern western society these days).

It doesn't help that OBs, Peds, GPs...just about everyone suggests a VHC diet for breastfeeding mothers. I was told to avoid LC at nearly all costs because Eli wouldn't get the right about of sugar in the milk. Odd, because nutrition tells us our bodies can convert just about anything to sugar. And didn't my body put on 10 to 15 pounds of fat during pregnancy solely to provide proper nutrition during bfing?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:27
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

But I'd also venture a guess that babies need to pack on a lot of fat and those carbs (sugars) are a good way of doing that.

The carbs stimulate the insulin to allow energy storage as fat for growth; the protein content is low by percentage of calories, but based on weight, the right amount for the weight of the infant and growing child - protein content increases and carbohydrate content decreases as an infant grows and matures to weaning and protein content of the diet increases with the introduction of solid foods. Fat content remains, from what I've read, fairly consistent throughout the breastfeeding period, between 50-60% of calories.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 17:29
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
And didn't my body put on 10 to 15 pounds of fat during pregnancy solely to provide proper nutrition during bfing?

You put on the fat to have the energy your body needed to provide milk.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

My son prefers meats like turkey and pork, vegetables such as green beans, and fruits like strawberries and grapes. He doesn't really go for carbs like bread or noodles when I give those to him. His natural preference is for real, unprocessed food. But, I bet if I keep giving him noodles and bread, he will eventually prefer those. For me, this is proof enough that we are not designed for as many complex carbs as we eat. But the human body is very adaptable, and will learn to function on whatever crap you pour in it. Just may not function "ideally". I would like mine to function more "ideally". As for breastmilk, the nutritional needs of a breastfeeding baby are quite different from a mature adult. The person arguing this was comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 19:28

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

hmm - shame I never got my milk tested then...

My daughter never had a pacifier, I was a walking pacifier for her and I was breastfeeding until she was nearly 4. Thankfully someone invented the baby slings, otherwise I would have never gotten anything done.

I have no idea what my milk consisted of, but I was eating high-everything during that time. I was eating double-portions of normal meals and chocolate on top (and still lost weight, sigh...I wish those times were back).

I am wondering if breastfeeding mummies should maybe eat a similar diet to what they say Breastmilk is made of, as one certainly needs their calories and energy if feeding for more than the minimum 6 months.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 17:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Pregnant and lactating moms of primitive cultures indulged in meat, especially organ meats and greasy guts.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 11:53

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I was a NICU nurse for many years, and several years ago BYU did a study on Breast milk and how it adapts as a baby grows. A premature baby's mother will produce a breast milk completely different for that child than a full term baby. Likewise by a year old (when most babies in the US are eating a wide range of food) breast milk is nearly like water, with very little nutritional value to the breast milk. I'm sure in countries where diet is not as varried the breast milk at older ages would have a higher nutritional content.

Also as far as the antibodies a baby gets from breast milk the vast majority is supplied in colostrum, the first liquid a newborn gets from mom before her milk supply comes in. There is very little antibody support from mother's milk once the milk supply is established.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 14:36
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Tigersue, this is only tangentially related, but I'm interested. I had heard that about breastmilk, that in fact the mother's milk seemed to "adapt to what the child needed." Did they ever figure out HOW it adapted? Saliva? Psychic powers LOL? God? The mother's diet? What is the physiological-causative factor for the change in the breast milk, is that known yet?

PJ
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-10, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 357/271/199 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Breastmilk is not nearly like water at 1 year of age. The fat and calorie content are greater than the milk made for a younger infant:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...full/116/3/e432
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 01:22

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

Being able to survive without carbs requires a fully functional liver (to create ketones and perform gluconeogenesis). Human babies are in no way complete. So my guess is that the sugars in mothers milk is meant to prived glucose to the baby brain as long as the liver isn't up to it.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-09-10, 20:35

Stats: 156/149/138 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:

I am sure most of the peoplein this thread are aware of this, aas bright as you are (and I mean that), but regarding the teeth issues, you can find some interesting stuff if you paste this in: weston price foundation dentition
  #42   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 09:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/245/155 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

The tooth argument is great. My dog is 10 years old and has been on a raw , as most 10 year old dogs have terrible teeth from corn based commercial foods.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Fat is necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstrike
Could it be that mothers milk(human)is very high in carb to "fatten" up the baby to ensure survivability.

That and the fact that fat is needed for their brain development that certain vitamins are only found in fat.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 19:56

Stats: 263/225/165 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Mother's milk actually somehow conditions the pancreas to release less insulin and to deal with carbohydrates . All the studies done have shown that the longer the duration of breast-feeding, the lower the rates of both Type I and Type II diabetes later in life.

If breastmilk were the ideal food for adults, we'd also be guzzling human white blood cells multiple times a day. Breastmilk is the perfect food for the severely medically compromised adult (like people with pancreatic cancer), but it's a lot more complicated than being high carb.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: ovo-lacto-paleo/IF
Stats: 159/143/114 Female 158 cm
BF:too much....
Progress: 36%

let's not forget insulin promotes growth hormone....do YOU (adult) want to grow ? but, you won't get taller, just BIGGER

another point : babies are "designed" to stay in the arms...human milk is very easy to digest, and with a somewhat high percentage of lactose (=sugar=addictive), so no wonder babies nurse very often...it promotes the baby-mother bond that will influebce every other relationship later on...
furthermore, breastmilk contains oxytocin, the "love" hormone (=opiods=addictive), so that a mutual "addiction" begins between the baby and it's mother...

it's completely another story with lion's milk/babies... the little ones get a milk that keeps them satiated for hours and they are parked in "nurseries" while their mother are away to hunt...

so it seems thats the composition of the milk is very suited to the "social" needs of its species...it's not just about "growing", or about this or that organ growing faster...