Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 10:52

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Thumbs up World's shortest description of everything you can do to lose weight...

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/
Quote:
If you can do step 1, that is about 50% of the benefit and alone a huge improvement on the standard american diet (SAD) By about step 6 you are at about 75% , by step 9 about 80% and at 10 you are at 99% for most people.
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...ose-weight.html
Quote:
Let's see if I can write the world's shortest description of everything you can do to lose weight. OK, you'll have to read some of the rest of the site to make sense of it, I suppose. But it will still be pretty short.

PaNu is not a weight loss program. It is a healthy eating regime that also happens to be the most powerful and simplest (not easiest, necessarily) regime that I have encountered to achieve your genetically determined normal lean body weight. Being at a particular weight is simply evidence of a having a healthy metabolism, and should obviously not be a health goal in itself. Otherwise I would be Dean Ornish.

If you have trouble losing weight following the first 4 or 5 steps, you may have what I unscientifically call a "broken metabolism".

If you have a broken metabolism, with stubborn residual insulin resistance (liver, not adipocytes), or your leptin receptors are screwed up by WGA from wheat and your satiety switch is broken, or any of a number of theoretical metabolic derangements from years of eating the standard american diet, you may have trouble losing weight without going VLC (say 5-10% carbs) and you might indeed gain weight if you eat excess protein beyond your needs.

The extra insulin response to excess dietary protein may simply drive more fat storage. I would not expect this in most people, but it may happen in some. See this.

What to do?

If you can't lose weight and you need to, you must cut carbs until you have ketones in your urine. Ketones in your blood is ketosis. Ketones in your urine is ketonuria. Ketonuria is proof of ketosis. GNG (gluconeogenesis) and ketosis is the sure way to prove your insulin levels are low as you can get them.

Then, as dietary fat has the least effect on serum insulin, and dietary protein has a small but measurable effect, eat only the minimum necessary protein (.8 -1 g/Kg/d) and the rest as fat.

5% carbs should guarantee GNG and ketonuria. (This will mean almost no vegetables and no sugary salad dressings, etc. Your food must be naked except for healthy fats)

15 -10% protein (drop it as you adapt)

80-85% fat

This, by the way, is ridiculously easy to achieve if you use butter and cream, but a bit impractical otherwise. This is close to Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet. Read the book.

A few more things not mentioned by Kwasniewski but that I think are important:

It is helpful to absolutely eliminate fructose from your diet if you have any issues with weight.
The SAD (standard american diet) has absurdly high amounts of fructose that destroy your liver's insulin sensitivity. Fructose may be the single biggest cause of broken metabolism.

The second biggest (or maybe first, who knows?) cause of broken metabolism may be gluten grains. Wheat germ agglutinin (WGA) binds leptin receptors and insulin receptors, in addition to nasty effects on the immune system and gut. So even if you have no immunologic issues like celiac disease, and you don't believe like I do that almost everyone has subclinical damage to the gut from gluten grains, wheat may be making it harder for you to lose weight by affecting your satiety switch and by directly causing fat storage.

I don't know if Omega 6 linoleic acid ("the third horseman") has any effect on weight loss, but you have plenty of reason to avoid it already.

Stick to white rice and potatoes if you absolutely must eat starch. No wheat, barley or rye.

Try eating one big meal a day to satiety, then allow yourself nothing but decaf coffee with whole cream or fast the rest of the time. I eat like this about three days a week. It is really easy once you are keto-adapted*

It is, I believe, easier to go cold turkey from carbohydrates than taper off. Teasing yourself with cereals and bagels is more difficult than simply enduring a few days of nausea or hypoglycemia. Just carry a container of sliced oranges or apples and eat a slice if you are hypogycemic. (Yes, there is a bit of fructose there, you are just eating it while you adapt to ketosis) Totally avoid grains and starches. Use fruit for emergencies. It will pass.

*I define keto-adapted as being conditioned enough to ketosis that you can easily fast without getting light headed or hypoglycemic. I think VLC (50g) or ZC (5-10 g) folks are all ketoadapted. LC (100g/day carbs) not as much. Even if not in ketosis all the time, KA folks can slip in and out of it easily and their metabolism has all the machinery for ketosis and GNG constructed. Caution: metabolic speculation informed by experience.
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...nu-mission.html
Quote:
When I first heard Gary Taubes on NPR 2 years ago, and then read his book (twice in 2 weeks) I started reading on nutrition several hours a day, including thousand of abstracts, hundreds of full text papers, dozens of diet books, newest editions of textbooks on biochemistry, cell physiology, cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, several textbooks of comparative animal physiology and anatomy, books on evolution, anthropology, archaeology, paleoanthropology...
...my mission is simple:

When I saw a video presentation of Gary Taubes speaking out west, he was asked what he really wanted. He said that he really wanted medical doctors who were convinced of the truth in GCBC to work to change things.

I am a medical doctor so here I am..
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...hite-flour.html
Quote:
Not everyone reading this makes the nutrition blogosphere rounds for the latest biochemical tidbits. Quite a few people don't yet know what “macronutrient” means, and that's OK. They are busy living their lives. I like to think one advantage of the PaNu approach is that you can be healthy without a calculator or a scale, or any doctor-provided tests whatsoever, but you do need some basic knowledge to start making choices.

This is very good advice. There isn't much missing here. Other than he could have told people that you must also avoid artificial sweetener.

Also it is worth noting that if your have a "broken metabolism", chances are that you are always going to be struggling to control your weight. And it's getting worst with every generations. We must reverse the trend with our children at least, so that they struggle less and their own children even less.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Sat, Sep-26-09 at 08:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 11:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
This is very good advice. There isn't much missing here. Other than he could have told people that you must also avoid artificial sweetener.

Hmm, I only recently discovered this blog myself (I think from a link here) but have already added it to my slightly overloaded RSS feed. I had not seen this post though as I have not read all his back posts. Trying to see how I stack up on his advice:

Quote:
1 Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour

Done
Quote:
2 Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk
Done
Quote:
3 Eliminate grains

Done.
Quote:
4 Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

Done
Quote:
5 Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily

Done

Uh oh, I have been doing steps 1-5 almost this entire year and am not losing any weight. I guess that means I have a broken metabolism, but I was pretty sure about that anyway.

Well I'll continue on with his list to see where I stack up on the other issues.
Quote:
6 Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best)

Not done. I have never been able to bring myself to do this. I've *tried*, and I can easily go from, say, 6 PM until about 10-11 AM the next morning, but after that I totally struggle, and eating just twice a day is really hard for me, let alone only once!(as I believe I read he does on the blog)
Quote:
7 Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

Done.
Quote:
8 Eliminate legumes

Done
Quote:
9 Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess O-6 fatty acids and are better than supplementing with 0-3 supplements.

Done
Quote:
10 Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions

Needs working on, though the exercise I do do it all resistanance type.
Quote:
11 Eliminate milk (if you are sensitive to it, move this up the list

Done
Quote:
12 Eliminate other dairy including cheese- (now you are "orthodox paleolithic")

Not done. I confess I love cream, cheese and butter - though I have cut WAY back on my cheese and cream intake by a factor of at least three quarters or more.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 11:19

BF:

Debbie, have you tried drinking tons of water? Some people can't lose weight if their fat cells cannot replace the fat they lose with water to retain their volume. Then a couple weeks or months after the fat cell has not needed to store new fat, it releases it's water and you finally lose weight on the scale.

Patrick
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 12:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Debbie, have you tried drinking tons of water? Some people can't lose weight if their fat cells cannot replace the fat they lose with water to retain their volume. Then a couple weeks or months after the fat cell has not needed to store new fat, it releases it's water and you finally lose weight on the scale.

The last time I was stalled for 2 1/2 years (before I gave up and gained all the weight back ) I did drink tons of water - at least 8 liters daily. But it didn't cause any weight loss. Have not done it this time around as I keep coming up with folks saying that drinking tons of water is just another one of those diet "myths", so at present I have only been drinking water when I feel like it rather than forcing it down. That generally works out to around 6-8 glasses of water a day.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
The last time I was stalled for 2 1/2 years (before I gave up and gained all the weight back ) I did drink tons of water - at least 8 liters daily. But it didn't cause any weight loss. Have not done it this time around as I keep coming up with folks saying that drinking tons of water is just another one of those diet "myths", so at present I have only been drinking water when I feel like it rather than forcing it down. That generally works out to around 6-8 glasses of water a day.

Sure wish I could put that water thing to rest. I think I'll experiment. 2 weeks with lots of water. 2 weeks with minimal water. I'll let you know how I do.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 13:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapestry
Sure wish I could put that water thing to rest. I think I'll experiment. 2 weeks with lots of water. 2 weeks with minimal water. I'll let you know how I do.

One thing to note. If your fat cells requires that water. You will be thirsty all the time. If you are not thirsty, you don't need to drink all the time.

Patrick
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 17:59
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

13. Get adequate calcium.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 20:58
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

This is close, but not quite what works for me.

I disagree with upping fats - I think there's more than enough fat in the proteins we eat.

I also disagree with adding in dairy - especially given the wheat/gluten angle. Leaving aside the potential for problems with casein, quite often - those who are intolerant to gluten (and most of us probably are) - are also dealing with 'secondary lactose intolerance', caused by damage to the tips of the villi, where the digestive enzyme lactase is produced. Furthermore, the older we get, the less likely we are able to digest lactose anyway.

Eat meat, fish, some nuts (maybe not so many if you're trying to lose weight), vegetables, minimal fruits and don't purposely try to add in all kinds of 'extra' fat, and you have a pretty decent plan, imo.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 05:06
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 236/217/185 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

OK, I have to share. I’ve been following Dr. Harris’ PaNu since the beginning of August when I stumbled upon his Blog... and his recommendations for weight-loss (with no artificial sweeteners or alcohol) since he posted them. I’ve been LC for over 8 years now with good weight loss (although I could never approach goal) until I began adding the occasional high carb treat. Over the past 3 years I’ve put on weight and have been strictly LC again since January this year with no weight loss. Until PaNu. I just can not believe what’s happening to my body. The inches are melting away, I'm down 12 pounds, my brain fog is gone, my constant fatigue is gone, I am bursting with energy and my mood in vastly improved. My gout has disappeared, the numb areas (I know, this sounds crazy) that I’ve had on my thighs since adolescence have regained sensation, my skin is so soft it feels lathered in skin cream. I have no cravings and almost no appetite though when I do eat I enjoy it. It’s as though I’ve finally, at 55 years of age, developed a normal relationship with food. I finally know the difference between hunger and cravings. I used to be completely baffled by the common advice to simply “stop eating when you’re full”. Full? I have never known what that was. I thought it meant a stuffed belly… which mine often was… but the desire, the craving, for food was always present. On PaNu, a switch absolutely flips at a certain point in each meal and, man, I can not eat another bite. My fasting has gradually grown to 18 hours a day, and most days now my body only wants to eat 1 meal (late afternoon) and then I’ll sip a cup or two of rich bone broth for the nutrients. I’m flabbergasted. I believe that everything Dr. Harris has mentioned is essential to the results I’m experiencing. I keep my protein moderate (from 60 to 70 grams), then my fat at over 80%, and no carbs from vegetable sources except the occasional avocado. I drink heavy cream and use butter (both raw) but no other dairy until I get my food intolerance lab results back from Enterolab. Even then I’ll be very cautious about adding cheese back in. I love it and that makes me wary.

So, for the first time ever, I am absolutely confident that my body is healing itself and will attain it’s proper weight. And I’m astounded that I can say that.

Cheryl
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
...I also disagree with adding in dairy - especially given the wheat/gluten angle. Leaving aside the potential for problems with casein, quite often - those who are intolerant to gluten (and most of us probably are) - are also dealing with 'secondary lactose intolerance', caused by damage to the tips of the villi, where the digestive enzyme lactase is produced. Furthermore, the older we get, the less likely we are able to digest lactose anyway...

He explains that dairy is temporary. It's a good way to substitute fat for carbs. But in the last steps you remove dairy, except maybe cream and butter.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Sat, Sep-26-09 at 08:11.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 08:22
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

Quote:
He explains that dairy is temporary. It's a good way to substitute fat for carbs. But in the last steps you remove dairy, except maybe cream and butter.

Patrick

Looks like I read through that a little too quickly. So what he's saying is that it's wise to increase fats in the beginning? Something like that? I'll have to click on the actual links and read more, obviously. Is the recommendation to always have your fat levels at like 80-85%? Or just in the intial stages, in order to switch to a fat burning metabolism?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 08:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Looks like I read through that a little too quickly. So what he's saying is that it's wise to increase fats in the beginning? Something like that? I'll have to click on the actual links and read more, obviously. Is the recommendation to always have your fat levels at like 80-85%? Or just in the intial stages, in order to switch to a fat burning metabolism?

Well you go from step 1 to step 12. If you are losing weight at, lets say, Step 5, then you do not need to go further, at least for now. If you encounter a plateau, then you can do other steps. If you are looking to be as healthy as you can, you just do everything.

Patrick
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 08:52

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:

Could someone please explain why no artificial sweeteners. I understand about aspertame and the like but does this include xylotol and stevia? I am following the steps for the most part but I do use these two sweeteners in small amounts.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 236/217/185 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

He does explain that PaNu in itself is not a weight-loss regime, it's a healthy regime. Accomplish the steps that you can, as you can. And he gives no fat ratios/targets. It's only when he addresses weight-loss specifically for those who could not lose by PaNu itself that he suggests raising fats to 80-85 percent, with moderate protein and really restricted carbs. And as far as I read, once the weight is off one may be able to move back towards the more loosely structured regime of PaNu. As for artificial sweeteners, he does say in one of his responses to a blog commenter that it anything that Tastes" sweet will trigger an insulin response. I do find that this must be true with me and believe it was essential that I get over the desire for that taste. It's gone. I do melt a little unsweetened chocolate in hot cream and sip that... no sweet taste at all, but, oh, so satisfying.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-09, 10:44
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"

Quote:
World's shortest description of everything you can do to lose weight?????

Make good choices with every bite...........

It's not rocket science.

GIGO............Garbage IN, Garbage ON