Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLuthor
No one has the right to an uninformed opinion.

And I guess YOUR opinion is informed on this particular subject and thus should prevail over all others?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I predict you are going to be VERY unhappy here, Flex.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 251/185/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
And I guess YOUR opinion is informed on this particular subject and thus should prevail over all others?

Straw man. My opinion is informed to the extent that I realize the laws of thermodynamics are intact. It should not prevail over all others, because most are already in agreement with me. In other words, most people do not deny physical reality. However, my opinion should and does prevail over yours.

I repeat:
What evidence would prove your belief wrong?

The Library of Congress Classification places thermodynamics in subclass QC310.15-319. Happy reading.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
I predict you are going to be VERY unhappy here, Flex.

Probably not. Debunking crank beliefs is one of my favorite pastimes. Would you disagree with the notion that a person who does not know what a joule is has no business discussing thermodynamics, or any matter of physics, for that matter?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:22

BF:

Quote:
You also ignored my standard cut-through-the-crap question.

So did you mine. I asked "what's the mechanism that counts calories to determine how much to use?"

Let's play a game of logic. I start.

Proposition A and B can not both be true. The propositions are:

A. All molecules have a different effect on the body.

B. Two or more molecules have the same effect on the body.

The actual and complete proposition is:
(Directly from the other thread linked to in the first post.)
Quote:
Keeping protein adequately high and essential fats sufficient, the level of carbohydrate and fat makes little difference.

A priori, I have to say that I accept the complete proposition in toto without reserve. I accept it because doing so voids it. The alternative is that I argue against a logical fallacy. That would be a waste of my precious time. However, I give you all the time in the world to try and make both propositions true. Please don't lose yourself.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:25

BF:

Quote:
Straw man. My opinion is informed...

Actually, your opinion is "No one has the right to an uninformed opinion." There is no straw man. You wrote it.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:34
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Debunking crank beliefs is one of my favorite pastimes.

How proud you must be!

Quote:
Would you disagree with the notion that a person who does not know what a joule is has no business discussing thermodynamics, or any matter of physics, for that matter?

I think everyone should discuss thermodynamics, or any matter of physics, for that matter.

Rethink your strategy if you're under the impression that name calling is going to win you friends or arguments.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
I think everyone should discuss thermodynamics, or any matter of physics, for that matter.

Why should a person discuss a matter regarding which they are uninformed? I don't discuss subjects regarding which I am uninformed, of which there are many, such as automobile maintenance, plumbing, or Czech literature.

Quote:
Rethink your strategy if you're under the impression that name calling is going to win you friends or arguments.

What name did I call anyone?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:47

BF:

Quote:
Any scientist I can think of, of which I am one, will tell you that if a theory "appears" to violate the laws of thermodynamics, that theory should be rejected on the spot.

A fundamental quality of all scientists is to keep an open mind. It seems we have uncovered the flaw in your method. You are doomed to continue to use the "they must be lying" excuse. Consequently, you have ceased to learn anything new.

To you, whatever those people reported is merely hypotheses. But to them, it is recorded fact through direct first-person observation. Since they gave us no reason to doubt them then we must accept what they say as is. If there is doubt about what they reported, it comes from us, not from them.

Since doubt comes from us, we must poke holes in our own methods to find the flaw. If we find no flaw in our methods, then we can safely conclude that "they must be lying" but not until then. Even then, we can't definitively conclude this unless we test the idea ourselves and prove it false. So tell me, have you tried what those people did (overeat a whole boatload of fat for a month)?

I noticed something about your posts. Most are of the "elaborate" kind. Being a scientist, shouldn't you know about Occam's razor? You seem to want to use highly sophisticated language rather than simple language to explain simple ideas, i.e. "I disagree", "my opinion is the best", "I'm right because I say so", etc. I have nothing against you particular style but please, stop trying to show how "scientifically literate" you are. I mean, speaking of "cutting-through-the-crap" and stuff.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
So did you mine. I asked "what's the mechanism that counts calories to determine how much to use?"

When was that asked? Mine stands, by the way.

Quote:
Let's play a game of logic. I start.

Proposition A and B can not both be true. The propositions are:

A. All molecules have a different effect on the body.

B. Two or more molecules have the same effect on the body.

The actual and complete proposition is:
(Directly from the other thread linked to in the first post.)

How about the option of the same molecule having a different effect on the body? For example, try this experiment:

1. Drink a mole of H2O
2. Inhale a mole of H20

Your two propositions have nothing to do with energy balance, however.

Quote:
A priori, I have to say that I accept the complete proposition in toto without reserve. I accept it because doing so voids it. The alternative is that I argue against a logical fallacy. That would be a waste of my precious time. However, I give you all the time in the world to try and make both propositions true. Please don't lose yourself.

How does accepting a proposition void it?

#26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
A fundamental quality of all scientists is to keep an open mind. It seems we have uncovered the flaw in your method. You are doomed to continue to use the "they must be lying" excuse. Consequently, you have ceased to learn anything new.

The purpose of opening one's mind is the same purpose of opening one's mouth: to close it around something solid.

Quote:
To you, whatever those people reported is merely hypotheses. But to them, it is recorded fact through direct first-person observation. Since they gave us no reason to doubt them then we must accept what they say as is. If there is doubt about what they reported, it comes from us, not from them.

No, not hypotheses; self-reported anecdotal accounts. Bigfood, alien abductions, and Elvis at Burger King also have claimed direct first-person observation.

We have reason to doubt their reports if they are contrary to observed empirical evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If they were to say they saw their best friend at Taco Bell today, we probably would take them at their word. If they said they saw Michael Jackson at Taco Bell today, we would reasonably be doubtful and expect some more evidence.

Quote:
Since doubt comes from us, we must poke holes in our own methods to find the flaw. If we find no flaw in our methods, then we can safely conclude that "they must be lying" but not until then. Even then, we can't definitively conclude this unless we test the idea ourselves and prove it false. So tell me, have you tried what those people did (overeat a whole boatload of fat for a month)?

This is exactly wrong. The burden of proof always lies with the party making an affirmative claim. It is not the case that they are right by default until proven wrong.

While they might be lying, I think the more likely explanation is that it is self-reported anecdotal data with a sample of one and no controls whatsoever.

Quote:
I noticed something about your posts. Most are of the "elaborate" kind. Being a scientist, shouldn't you know about Occam's razor? You seem to want to use highly sophisticated language rather than simple language to explain simple ideas, i.e. "I disagree", "my opinion is the best", "I'm right because I say so", etc. I have nothing against you particular style but please, stop trying to show how "scientifically literate" you are. I mean, speaking of "cutting-through-the-crap" and stuff.

Occam's Razor has nothing to do with vocabulary. If my vocabulary for some reason rankles you, I suspect you have never read a peer-reviewed journal article, as you will find such language there. The articles don't say "we did some stuff to some junk and things happened."

What language was too "fancy" for you, by the way? "Crap"?

I have to say, I am a bit gobsmacked to see in a discussion of science someone say "stop showing how much you know about science". You would think expertise would be welcomed.

#27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 20:16

BF:

Quote:
When was that asked? Mine stands, by the way.

How about the option of the same molecule having a different effect on the body? For example, try this experiment:

1. Drink a mole of H2O
2. Inhale a mole of H20

Your two propositions have nothing to do with energy balance, however.

How does accepting a proposition void it?

I asked the question in my first post in this thread, which you quoted incidentally but omitted the question in your quote. My two propositions are merely the logical problem of the complete proposition that you omitted (I don't hold it against you since it's a function of the forum "quote" function which omits the quote). If the proposition contains two contradictory statements, i.e. "either or", then accepting it is the same as refuting it: The two contradictory statements void each other therefore the entire proposition can be dismissed as a logical fallacy. In the case of the complete proposition "Keeping protein adequately high and essential fats sufficient, the level of carbohydrate and fat makes little difference.", the first statement implies that the second statement is false therefore cannot be true as a whole.

Incidentally, the competing proposition is:

"Carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat accumulation."

You ask the wrong question. The right question is: Which must be discarded or at the very least questioned, the idea or the fact that contradicts it?
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 20:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
You ask the wrong question. The right question is: Which must be discarded or at the very least questioned, the idea or the fact that contradicts it?

#29   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 20:31

BF:

Quote:
No, not hypotheses; self-reported anecdotal accounts. Bigfood, alien abductions, and Elvis at Burger King also have claimed direct first-person observation.

All observation is first-person accounts. What distinguishes between science and anecdotal evidence is the number of witnesses. Furthermore, no two perspectives are exactly the same therefore cannot confirm each other. What binds all this together is our faith. That's it. Either accept the accounts as plausible and test them yourself, or dismiss them outright and forever remain in blissful satisfied ignorance.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 20:45

BF:

Quote:

I just realized that it's not the wrong question after all. It's exactly the same question, just worded differently. Well, what would prove your belief wrong is if you tested their claims yourself. What would prove my belief wrong is if I started to gain weight, but more specifically grow fat, by continuing to eat zero carb, or if I grew more ill instead of returning to good health by continuing to eat zero carb. Or if anybody else reported either. I must warn you though, if the tendency keeps up, I doubt I'll ever prove my belief wrong.