Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieNJ
My questions are this:
*Do the muscles need carbs to heal?

Surprisingly, when there are no carbs in the body and you do a big work out, you're not sore the next day..
I'm not the expert on this, Charles Washington and his members are the experts on this ZC and Exercise .. many of the ZCer's over there work out and say that they never feel sore the next day.. EVER..
I find that so amazing because when I used to work out regularly, it would take days for me to be able to use my arms to open a jar because I was always hurting so badly..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 142/140/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador
If your primariy goal is to build muscle, I found that 100-150g of carbs daily, divided on three meals (Breakfast, Pre workout and Post workout) works best for ME (again, it's an individual number)

The thing about carbs is it depends so very much on your body. carbs themselves ain't fattening, it's when you're glycogen deposits are full they spill over as fat. If you eat them in the morning, you've been fasting for 8+ hours, so the chance of them spilling over is minimal.

By the time you hit the gym, you're glycogen deposits will be fairly low on carbs again, so you eat a small amount to fuel your workout, your bodies prefered fuel source for weight lifting is carbs, so after the weight lifting session your stores will be low again and you can once again consume carbs with a minimal chance of spillover.

Building muscle without carbs is possible, yes, but they aid tremendiously in recovery and keeping you in an anabolic state which is required for muscle gain. Yes, you will add a bit of fat you can shred later by removing the carbs, but you're overall body composition will be SO much better and you will look leaner over all.

Adding carbs might not be vital if you're a beginner, since beginners tend to add lean muscle mass in a caloric deficit with zero carbs, but if you're progress starts to stall in the gym it's surely a thing to consider.

And then again... this is from a male standpoint, and if you're primary goal simply is to get a toned rather than ripped, then carbs might not be neccesary whatsoever (beside your daily veggies, and maybe 20-30g post workout)

Thank you so much for this information. It makes sense. Right now I would like to loose between 15 and 20lbs of scale weight however, loosing BF is more important to me. Right now I'm at about 26% I'd like to see how 20% looks and then adjust from there.

Its all so confusing... Eat carbs, dont eat carbs... Eat high fat, eat low fat... LOL... Im sure you know all about it. I have to see what works best for me as today marks only one full week of being low carb.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 06:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Surprisingly, when there are no carbs in the body and you do a big work out, you're not sore the next day..
I'm not the expert on this, Charles Washington and his members are the experts on this ZC and Exercise .. many of the ZCer's over there work out and say that they never feel sore the next day.. EVER..
I find that so amazing because when I used to work out regularly, it would take days for me to be able to use my arms to open a jar because I was always hurting so badly..

Thanks for this information. I'll go over to that thread and see what they are saying...
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 07:16

Plan: My own.
Stats: 308/165/140 Male 175cm / 5"9
BF:
Progress: 85%

A guide to resistance training for insulin resistance people, it's an interessting read and considering it's made by Team Scivation who are training athletes I think they know what they are talking about

http://www.liftforlife.com/bulkingforendomorphs.htm
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 21:44

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Thank you so much for this information. It makes sense. Right now I would like to loose between 15 and 20lbs of scale weight however, loosing BF is more important to me. Right now I'm at about 26% I'd like to see how 20% looks and then adjust from there.

Its all so confusing... Eat carbs, dont eat carbs... Eat high fat, eat low fat... LOL... Im sure you know all about it. I have to see what works best for me as today marks only one full week of being low carb.

I know you were probably looking for more veterans to speak up here, but..... BTW, what did you mean by that comment anyway?

If you're paying attention to your body, you will find out that calories matter and that 'very low carbs' makes it easier to keep off the unwanted bodyfat.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 07:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
I know you were probably looking for more veterans to speak up here, but..... BTW, what did you mean by that comment anyway?

If you're paying attention to your body, you will find out that calories matter and that 'very low carbs' makes it easier to keep off the unwanted bodyfat.

Veterans - meaning those who have successfully navigated through a low carb diet while building muscle and loosing fat and are active members here.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 23:38

Quote:
Veterans - meaning those who have successfully navigated through a low carb diet while building muscle and loosing fat and are active members here.

well, good luck in your quest to hit your 20% goal.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 06:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Kb~ I think you qualify. You have been around a long time and look fantastic! Your journal is a treasure of information. I appreciate your contributions.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH

I hope I didnt offend anyone.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/184/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 65%

Having done this for a few years...I will tell you this.

After you go on full induction & follow it to the letter....
And you are losing weight like nothing you've ever done before (except in rare cases of metabolic resistance), you will laugh at the idea that you danced around going full low carb to begin with.

You will be full, you WILL lose weight and you WILL feel amazing.

No gimmicks to buy, no magic pills. All whole, real foods.

Cardio will help to burn calories, but light weight training will help you with toning. Rotate out your sessions and remember to mix it up....enjoy yourself.

Food?

Try a 3 egg omlett with cheddar cheese, onions, mushrooms, green peppers...

Bacon, sausage...

Steaks, fried chicken (in olive oil) with grated parmesan as your breading.

Salads with eggs, bacon and cheese.
Real butter, real cream...

Low carb is not boring. Your body will use the fat you consume.
I don't have problems with energy levels while I'm working out, this includes weight training. I DO avoid the scale when I'm weight training for a few days though.

What works for one, may not work for all.
However, please give some thought to full-on induction.

If you've never done induction before, the info may be one here, or you may check out the Atkins site for the rules.

Two weeks, change your life.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 11:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Velcro
Having done this for a few years...I will tell you this.

After you go on full induction & follow it to the letter....
And you are losing weight like nothing you've ever done before (except in rare cases of metabolic resistance), you will laugh at the idea that you danced around going full low carb to begin with.

You will be full, you WILL lose weight and you WILL feel amazing.

No gimmicks to buy, no magic pills. All whole, real foods.

Cardio will help to burn calories, but light weight training will help you with toning. Rotate out your sessions and remember to mix it up....enjoy yourself.

Food?

Try a 3 egg omlett with cheddar cheese, onions, mushrooms, green peppers...

Bacon, sausage...

Steaks, fried chicken (in olive oil) with grated parmesan as your breading.

Salads with eggs, bacon and cheese.
Real butter, real cream...

Low carb is not boring. Your body will use the fat you consume.
I don't have problems with energy levels while I'm working out, this includes weight training. I DO avoid the scale when I'm weight training for a few days though.

What works for one, may not work for all.
However, please give some thought to full-on induction.

If you've never done induction before, the info may be one here, or you may check out the Atkins site for the rules.

Two weeks, change your life.

Thank you for the simple yet informative information. I really appreciate it.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

When I've run marathons while in ketosis, I wouldn't have much muscle soreness the next day. But it always took an hour longer to finish the race. My guess is without carbs on board, I can't generate enough fast energy to produce lactic acid in the muscles.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 21:18

Quote:
I hope I didnt offend anyone.

Not really, just thought you were being dissmissive. Can't really get upset... you have the right to pick and chose what you will either way.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 16:56

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

what is your goal for working out? the supplements you are taking give me the impression you are doing bodybuilding. and that i cannot really comment on.

if you are doing it just for toning and health i would say first of all that the carbs are quite unnecessary, along with the supplements, along with the scheduled eating and pretty much everything else. six days of cardio is a bit intense too, unless you are doing it for competetive reasons.

competetive level workouts WILL negatively impact your health, though they may make you look pretty good for a while.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-09, 05:14

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass
competetive level workouts WILL negatively impact your health, though they may make you look pretty good for a while.

Can you expand on this?