Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

Losing weight and taking control of your life is completely in your control. Don't start with the attitude of "trying." Go in with the attitude of DOING. You can do this. And most of us are going through the same type of battle... no matter how much weight we have to lost. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 18:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Welcome, and congrats on your choice. Low carb is a great way to lose weight. You don't need to go hungry, ever. And it gets easier with time, you'll see.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 19:19
Registered Member

Stats: 161/151.8/127 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 27%

i just read your story to my husband and we just want to wish you the best of luck. you can do it!!!!! i know it'll be hard, but youre already and insiration, being that youre willing to try.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 19:26

Plan: Bari post-op, lowcarb
Stats: 497.1/328.8/275 Male 6 feet, 2 inches
BF:Goal = healthy
Progress: 76%

Welcome fellow big man.

I am just seven weeks into what I know is my last attempt to straighten out my lifestyle. At 41, my joints are giving out. The doctor diagnosed me with arthritis. I've had high blood pressure for almost 20 years.

What you described, I've gone through. No need to add any more details.

A bit of advice. Set yourself up for success. Get everything that could sabotage your diet out of the house. Ask your wife to join you in your new lifestyle, so you both eat the same foods together. During induction don't go hungry, but only eat the Atkins-approved induction foods. Prepare all your own meals during induction. Don't allow yourself to be tempted at a restaurant or buffet if you can at all help it. Don't worry about calories anymore, just count carbs, and be careful of hidden ones in pre-prepared or processed foods.

You will find after three days that you will lose a lot of water weight. I weigh myself only once a week. Don't get to hung up on the scale. Go by how you feel. If you can, take measurements of yourself. I didn't do that, but I can tell by how my close fit that I've lost weight.

Lastly, fix your mind that you are not going to go off plan during induction. Fix your mind that you will fight many battles with food -- just like you and I have our whole lives. Fix your mind that you will win these battles, even though you may lose some -- expect to win them all. Then you will be setting yourself up to win the whole thing, which should be the goal of a complete lifestyle change. A new low carb (L/C) lifestyle that includes regular exercise (even the smallest exercise at first will help) and the fact that you will control your relationship with food for the rest of your life.

I'm on Atkins. I'm not hungry. I exercised today. I'm a good person. I'm working on being the best me I can be.

You can do what you want to do. You just have to make up your mind to do it. It's very hard to get started, but that's a big part of the battle. Now I'm fighting the fight to never go back to eating the garbage I used to eat. Get the help you need. Start a journal. Get a buddy and cage that beast, because you can own it.

My very best wishes. I'm praying for you.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 19:49
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hiya.

Now or never?

I vote for now, please.

We'll hold your hand every minute through the d.t.'s if you want. We know it can be tough, but it passes. On the other side is life. It's that simple.

Welcome, and best to you. BTW, if you start a journal (great suggestion), I'd copy and paste that post above as your first entry. That kind of record can really help you see how far you've come.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 20:39

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

My heart goes out to you. I too, know what it is to be the biggest person in any room. It's funny how some slim people seem to think that being fat is a moral issue. (I mean really, where do they get off?) But what I really wanted to say is that you have been given some excellent advice. The only thing I can add is if you should happen to fall into a bowl of carbs or some such thing, don't think that it is the end, it's not. Most of us experience a time when we go back like a dog to his vomit. (Sorry it that is too graphic.) But you haven't failed until you refuse to stand up and keep trying. You will have your issues as we all do but just keep coming here to get the support that you need. Oh, also, don't let yourself be hungry. That is a real killer to any woe. Eat on plan till you are satiated. Eat till you are no longer hungry, not full. But in my opinion if you don't feel fed until you feel full, at least in the induction period it is better to eat as much on plan food as you feel you need to to stay on the plan. Once the carb monster is broken which is what induction is all about it will be easier to limit portions if you need to. Wishing you losses.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 21:34

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi,
Welcome to the group! It is clear from what you wrote that you suffer from sleep apnea. This is a very debilitating and serious condition that can even lead to cardiac arrest. As much as you don't enjoy seeing the doctor, you really need to let him/her know about what is going on with your sleep. They will order a sleep study and then you will be get a C-Pap machine which will allow you to breathe easily and get a good night's rest.

Keep on posting. You will find lots of support here!

Cathy B.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 22:27

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Wishing you well on your weight loss journey. Welcome to low carb.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 22:37

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/165/120 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 37%

Wow! Welcome to you. You have to keep a positive attitude. So you have had diet failures in the past, you can do this! This has to be the perfect diet for you too. You don't even really feel like you are dieting. I can't wait to follow your progress. You are going to be great. I wish you the best of luck.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 01:14

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%

Good luck with your weight loss journey, you can do it! Just take it one day at a time and try not to look too far down the track as it may seem overwhelming - just one day at a time. Knowledge is power so read up before you start. Keep journaling, everyone is wanting this for you
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 05:39
Bound for Onederland

Stats: 239/188/199 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:lil' bit, ok lots
Progress: 127%

Good morning,

All of the comments written here are perfect to help you stay on track.

one more thing that I'm trying is to break up my long term goal into to smaller increments that I can celebrate along the entire journey to health.

{{hugs}} I'm proud of you!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 07:01

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

Welcome and congratulations for deciding to start. There's not much for me to add to the terrific advice already given, however, I will make one point...

Low carb can and should be delicious! You should not feel deprived or hungry. I would strongly recommend looking up recipes and snacking ideas on this and other websites. You may want to get one or more low carb cookbooks - I found several at my library.

Please don't just eat boiled chicken! Make it fun, interesting and delicous and it won't be nearly as difficult to stay on track. Do be aware that just because something is in a low carb cookbook, it may not be appropriate in the initial phase of Atkins or whatever plan you end up on.

Good luck and we all wish you well!
Chessnut
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 09:29

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just to wish you every success and remember you are a hero, you are saving your own life.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 11:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessnut
Welcome and congratulations for deciding to start. There's not much for me to add to the terrific advice already given, however, I will make one point...

Low carb can and should be delicious! You should not feel deprived or hungry. I would strongly recommend looking up recipes and snacking ideas on this and other websites. You may want to get one or more low carb cookbooks - I found several at my library.

Please don't just eat boiled chicken! Make it fun, interesting and delicous and it won't be nearly as difficult to stay on track. Do be aware that just because something is in a low carb cookbook, it may not be appropriate in the initial phase of Atkins or whatever plan you end up on.

Good luck and we all wish you well!
Chessnut

Ohoh, I hope I didn't imply in my post that someone should only eat broiled chicken -- *grin* that's SNACK food. The best part of low carb eating is the delicious, decadent food! Fat makes food taste good. Protein and fat make food very filling. But induction is a hard time; there is a lot of hunger until the body switches over to fat burning mode so it's good to have food on hand to combat it.

Meat is just about the only approved unlimited quantity food, which makes it a good snack food. Cooking everything in coconut oil also helps. In fact, some wings fried in coconut oil then tossed in hot pepper sauce is an amazing snack. But whole chickens and chuck roasts are cheap as well as tasty.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 12:20

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 86%

good luck dude thats a huge undertaking but you can do it, you have to do it You can lose weight so fast if you limit your carb intake to under 20g a day. Also try to limit your calories, so dont be eating pounds and pounds of bacon because it has zero carbs. i found watching my calories and carbs makes the most weight loss. Good Luck again, you can do it!