Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 09:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Eating less, lower readings?

Well, after months (maybe a year or more) of readings in the high 90's or sometimes up to 110-120, I'm finally getting some nicer readings in the 80's and low 90's.

I tried a lower protein diet. That didn't work and I gained weight with the extra fat. Now I'm back to lowering calories and I think that's lowering the blood sugar. Carbs are about 20-40 net carbs daily. I'm eating a little more carbs right now as my apple trees are bearing fruit so about 3-4 oz of apple daily. Boy they are sensational apples!

This could just be flukey. I haven't been metering for awhile and sometimes I do have a few days of lows, so perhaps I'm in one of those low periods right now... if so, it should end very soon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 15:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Talking

Nancy -

I would think that eating less would lead to lower numbers.

The theory of small numbers I think comes into play; just an opinion.

Right now, with the structured program I am following I am eatin a lot less than I used to do. I am also not eating certain foods that I know trigger sugar spikes and also cause cardio vascular disease such as breads, wheat in general, starches, etc.

Right now, my daily intake is about 1200-1600 calories and that is a lot less than what I was consuming. My weight is coming down, my BP is down, I am off of insulin (80 units per day basal and up to 30 per day bolus) completely and right now I am maintaining numbers in the `120 area through out most of the day. My last A1C was 5.6.

I am sure as I continue to eat less and also lo carb and also avoid certain food types everything will get better and I will find my BG dropping as well as my insulin levels.

I need to go get my insulin measured too.

My total cholesterol has dropped to 111 with HDL of 56 and LDL of 47 and triglycerides of 41.

So eating less presents all kinds of benefits.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 17:18
Experimenter

BF:

You're doing awesome, Ralph! I'm so glad you hooked up with Dr. Davis's info.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 21:22

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i have tried many lc experiments to lower my BG including ZC.
then somewhere along the way, i decided to try several smaller meals/snacks.
my readings have been the best ever and are starting to be in the normal range much more often.
doing zc, i never had normal readings. i think that the extra protein being used for glucose production is more common than we think....and maybe that's fine for someone w otherwise normal readings....?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 08:57
Experimenter

BF:

I've messed with my protein intake. I did Optimal diet for awhile. Much higher fat, lower protein. It didn't really change my readings at all. But I was taking in a lot more calories. Now my protein is about 20 grams a day higher but overall my calories are 300-400 less and I'm getting gorgeous BG readings. 84 this morning! And that's with me eating an apple or two every day. I'm averaging about 1400 calories a day (and not losing any weight... damn it all).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 14:51

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Hi everyone, just a few days ago my Dr asked me to combine Lower Carb and lower calories. She wants my BS and A1C down and my BP. We agreed on 3 months of 1200-1400 calories a day. My carbs are sitting at 30ish.
Well I just 2 days, my Daily BS are down, My 4 am is 123, and the am highs are in the low 140's. Mind you I have had Diabetes Mody2 since age 14 ish.
I am comfortable with this, eating out is going to be my problem, serving are so big, need to share them or take them home.
My Doc want me to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. I haven't been able to lose weight eating low carb high calories. So here I go...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 16:48
Experimenter

BF:

It works! It works! This morning I was in the 80's again.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 05:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It works! It works! This morning I was in the 80's again.

Great Nancy.

I am not there yet.

What are you taking in terms of meds and/or herbs in addition to small meals and low calories/LC?

Ralph
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

Nothing specifically for the blood sugar. I take B vitamins for other reasons, especially befotiamine (you might want to google that). I haven't ever had any luck with herbs or anything that is supposed to help blood sugar... just eating less. I try to take fish oil daily (4-5 1100 mg pills). Also taking St. John's Wort right now. My energy levels are really crappy and I drag through half the day most days right now. Magnesium at bed time, melatonin too, just for sleep. A big dose of D3 once a week. None of these has ever helped me with blood glucose.

Meds is just thyroid hormone which I need because my thyroid is dead.

Oh yes, I over ate yesterday and also had some dairy products and I was up to 97 this morning.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Nothing specifically for the blood sugar. I take B vitamins for other reasons, especially befotiamine (you might want to google that). I haven't ever had any luck with herbs or anything that is supposed to help blood sugar... just eating less. I try to take fish oil daily (4-5 1100 mg pills). Also taking St. John's Wort right now. My energy levels are really crappy and I drag through half the day most days right now. Magnesium at bed time, melatonin too, just for sleep. A big dose of D3 once a week. None of these has ever helped me with blood glucose.

Meds is just thyroid hormone which I need because my thyroid is dead.

Oh yes, I over ate yesterday and also had some dairy products and I was up to 97 this morning.

Learn more about Vitamin D3. You should strive for 25(0H) D3 Hydroxi levels between 60-90 . Most people are seriously deficient. Right now, I take 14000 IU's a day. I was in the 30s before starting supplementation. Now I am 64 as measured by Quest Diagnostics. There is a lot of controversy about Quest and its test. They give out numbers that are too high. Most people apply a .75 factor to their reading; so now I am around 48 seeking 60 as a minimum.

I got to 48 on about 8000-10000 IU's daily. Lots of discoveries with Vitamin D3 as it relates to immunity, cancer, etc.

Ralph
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 09:32
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Learn more about Vitamin D3. You should strive for 25(0H) D3 Hydroxi levels between 60-90

I've been reading about it for a year or more. Subscribe to the vit D council etc. Think I'm covered there, although I do need to have a test done. I take 50,000 iu of D3 weekly. When I was tested a few years back I had 32 but it was probably a Quest test. I bet I'm much higher now.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 10:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I have a question, if you are slighly dehydrated and you test will you get higher blood sugar than if you test after drinking a liter of water?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 11:17
Experimenter

BF:

Doubt it, at least I've never heard of such a thing.

Today BS was 100 but I over ate yesterday and I also ate cheese. I think cheese might be a BG problem for me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 07:20

BF:

Well just stick to the lowe carb lower calorie and small meals during the day.

My wife looks at me and says you are always eating.

Then I say back to her, that is the way I do it.

She forgets sometimes, that I have managed to take off 35 pounds or so since the beginning of the year.

Small portions, small meals/snacks of the right things, lead to lower weight and BP, smaller waist line, and I am waiting for the BG to come down on its own without meds.

A1C just recently was 5.6. This speaks to an average BG reading around 125-130.

My BG meter confirms that. I am OK with that for now.

Sometimes I do go over the dreaded 140, but it comes down with a few hours.

I am hoping the number comes down as I drop weight. Then my BG swing at meals will stay in the "safe" range of less than 140 at all times.

Ralph

Ralph
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 09:30

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Sometimes I do go over the dreaded 140, but it comes down with a few hours.
I am hoping the number comes down as I drop weight. Then my BG swing at meals will stay in the "safe" range of less than 140 at all times.
Ralph

Ralph, congratulations on the 35 pounds in just 6 months or so, that is what a great weight loss average is.... keep up the good work...

Your BG numbers have come down... think about this. It is down in normal ranges without the insulin and I think you mentioned you're off the meds also.

Weight loss + activity increase = improved BG numbers (99% of the time)

A spike to 160 or so after a meal now and then is nothing to worry about. At this point in your health recovery, it is probably no more than a measurement of how many carbs you probably snuck in at the meal... As long as you're back in normal within a couple of hours and with an A1C you're saying is now 5.6, you're doing great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you're also not having the hypos you did on insulin and with your eating under control, you're avoiding those 200+ readings also....

I'm proud of you. Just beware that motivation can poop out if you focus on weight loss more than overall health... As my wife tells me all the time; keep a good mood!

again, congrats on your successes as of late.....