Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 08:49

Plan: no longer follow
Stats: 140/124/120 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress:
Default nausea

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted in this thread, but I'll go ahead and post anyways. I am wondering if I have Postprandial Syndrome. Every time I try to go low carb, I become fructose intolerant, and my symptoms are nausea and brain fog. Even just putting a strawberry in my mouth, within seconds it sends me on a spin. It has been very frustrating. Any insight would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 15:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 160/160/180 Male 6'2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I know this thread is super old - but I've recently been dealing with this exactly. Has anyone found anything that helps?

I've had it for about 8 months and it's pretty much taken control of my life. Wouldnt wish it on anyone.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 03:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Since my medical issues revolve around the adrenals, maybe I can help.

As I understand it, this is a body reaction where the body responds to lowered blood sugar by dumping "panic hormones" to salvage the situation.
  • gradually stepping down carb intake?
  • sleep issues? Circadian rhythm therapy includes blue light management, sleep mask, turn off wifi at bedtime
  • if fructose is the problem why not stay away from it? processed foods and fruit are obviously off the list, but they are problems on low carb anyway
  • Cortisol resistance is a thing, just like insulin resistance. Lowering stress is crucial.

Just to open the dialog.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-19, 17:20

Plan: Keto
Stats: 160/160/180 Male 6'2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for the response. I've had some problems with my adrenals as well.

For me it actually started while on a low carb diet.. I wasn't doing keto properly and after a week started getting the adrenaline rushes while on super high fat. I was able to pretty much fix it by cutting out most fat and slowly adding carbs back into my diet(not too fast or my body would be overwhelmed and trigger the adrenaline) but then a week of "binge eating" per say set me back and the adrenaline rushes returned but now like 5x worse. Since then I can't eat more than a small amount of food without feeling terrible, restless anxious etc. I can pretty much only tolerate carbs and protein. Too much fat and processed foods and i'll feel much worse. I'm super confused as to what's going on tbh. For some people carbs make them worse for me it's fat.

From what I've read this is caused mostly by stress, and the more stressed a person is the worse it gets. (obviously stress on the body would play a part too)

For me it feels like nothing helps even when I live as stress free as possible. Initially when I was able to improve it by adding back carbs and lowering fat I was pretty much recovered but the 2nd time around I tried the same steps and nothing worked. It almost feel like my body is trying to tell me something by freaking out and getting super anxious if I have more than a small amount of food, like there's some sort of metabolic explanation that I need to figure out. But idk. The weird thing is i'm in great shape physically and have never had any health problems like this. (besides my bipolar type 3 and anxiety which probably are factors)

I don't know how what more I can do to try and fix this tbh. I've been thinking of trying acupuncture, or even going on beta blockers. Unfortunately my endocrinologist has no idea how to help me and even had to google it when I told him that I thought this was the problem.

I apologize for length, this has really been overwhelming lately. I'm currently 21 but lately have felt more like 65 with the constant stress this causes.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 04:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad98
(besides my bipolar type 3 and anxiety which probably are factors)

I would guess so. How are they being treated, and how was it working before this crisis?

Quote:
I don't know how what more I can do to try and fix this tbh. I've been thinking of trying acupuncture, or even going on beta blockers. Unfortunately my endocrinologist has no idea how to help me and even had to google it when I told him that I thought this was the problem.

I had a DISASTROUS endo experience which has made me somewhat wary of the state of the specialty

Quote:
I apologize for length, this has really been overwhelming lately. I'm currently 21 but lately have felt more like 65 with the constant stress this causes.

Of course, this is a serious problem and doctors are not helping. Talk about stress.
  • ME: My body is under some kind of incredible stress!
  • DR: Well, you got to lower that stress.
  • ME: I know!

My hidden stress turned out to be from a rare genetic disorder which I am now managing by myself. Since current medicine is ALSO less than helpful with it, from the diagnosis to the managing. But I am proof it can be done.

Okay, here's a fine article.

https://gatewaynaturalmedicine.com/...t-meal-anxiety/

That gets directly at the problem and offers some things to try, including frequent small meals and why they work, and the role of adaptogen herbs.

Sounds to me that dealing with this stress IS your stress, so just knowing what to do should help a lot with that. If you are on medication, you need to work with your doctor, and if you can't, you need a new one for this issue, perhaps?

When our bodies over-react under these circumstances, something is out of balance, and creating a cascade effect where so much more doesn't work right, either. Toy helicopters crash 10 out of 10 when you give the controls to a toddler who sends all the wrong signals.

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Dec-23-19 at 04:50.