Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Actually it is quite a list. I taking a B6-B15-folic acid injection once a week. Besides that I'm taking:

Ayurvedic Herbal Formula #1, 1/2 tsp day
Magnesium 150, x1 day
Iodine Max for thyroid x 1 day til gone
Opti-EPA x1 day
Chromium GTF 200, x 1 day
B Complete , started at 2 x day, now 1 x day, after a month I will go to 2 x week
Trace Plus, x 1 day
Adrenal Support, x1 day
Probiotic Complete, 1 a.m., 1 p.m. for two weeks
above all by Natural Body Health
Thyrocsin by Thorne x 1 for thyroid
Adrenal Cortex by Thorne x 1 day
l-glutamine by Now x 1/2 tsp daily
liquid Vit D3 x 5000 (house brand drops)
Vit C 3000-5000 unit per day
B12 1000 sublingual x 1 day
Calcarea Carbonica 2 x 2 day

I'm not very good at taking pills so it has been a real challenge but it has been so worth it!

That is alot but as you say SO worth it! I'm awaiting results and am very curious. Thank you for taking the time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 08:33
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've been using homeopathic in the home for a few years now.

My daughter especially would end up in the ER every time she had croup, rounds of steroids and inhalers that would land her on the couch, debilitated for days.

Now I just give her 3 pellets of spongia tosta and the croup doesn't move past the first cough and is less and less between each episode.

I also use homeopath for a whole bunch of other things (with excellent results), but I'd rather not get everyone riled up as they are more serious in nature.

Had another experience, mom's friend, severe yeast problems, autism ran in the family etc. She was becoming increasingly allergic to everything, no energy, really thin and frail. Homeopath put her on a strep type medicine. She had to slowly increase her dose, because every time she took a dose she would end up laying in the bed for days. Her body was fighting it. Now, she is no longer allergic to peanuts (!) and is leading a full life.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 10:01

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioch
Unfortunately, my respect for western medicine is going down the tubes rather quickly. Maybe there's no good explanation for it, but the east is probably far superior than the west (which really isn't saying much).

Actually, homeopathy is a modern Western practice. It was developed in Germany around the start of the 19th century. The Austrian Rudolf Steiner was a promoter of homeopathy in addition to being the founder of the Waldorf schools and biodynamic agriculture.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:09

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Actually, homeopathy is a modern Western practice. It was developed in Germany around the start of the 19th century. The Austrian Rudolf Steiner was a promoter of homeopathy in addition to being the founder of the Waldorf schools and biodynamic agriculture.

Interesting!
Most of the homeopaths I know (or know of) are Indian. So I just assumed it was eastern!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:17

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

I can not say I "believe" in homeopathy as a complementary medicine...because it really does work it is not a "belief" thing!...and yes it does make sense to me in the same way the allergy shots I give seem to work ...about 80% of folks who get allergy shots do well and it works and it is sort of the same thing you give a little of poison to help cure the ailment ..I do that every day! (In fact this second I am holding someone up so i can post)

my issue with homeopathy is there is a lack of REAL practitioners and folks are out there just buying from herbalists or whatever and taking clerks advice ..reading books and testing things ..

like any "alternative" medicine you need someone who has studied the field long and hard to really see how it works

you can fool your body into getting better! it is not just in your mind or a "placibo effect"

as a "Western" RNC who believes in medicine I have also used (I am a practitioner of) accupunture and worked with homeopaths and naturopaths to help patients with very complicated conditions

nothing is a cure all but many things combined including your diet and lifestyle help make folks better
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:23
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDelight

nothing is a cure all but many things combined including your diet and lifestyle help make folks better

best comment yet
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
best comment yet

thank you
I grew up in a town back East (US) that had one of the last homeopathic hospitals in the US (that I know of this may not be a fact) it was a fantastic place and the doctors there practiced long and hard at this type of medicine
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 21:56

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thank you for all your comments. The lady I will go see also uses acupuncture. I am nervous but excited to see what she has to say.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 22:02

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Our local acupuncturist was on the news today! They have a "community acupuncture" clinic where several people are treated together in one large comfortable room. Fees are on a sliding scale from $15-$35 per visit. It's an interesting idea - less about personalized service and more about affordable healthcare for the people.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 00:03

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Homeopathic medicine doesn't make any sense. The principle, in case you're not familiar, is to take a substance that CAUSES a problem, and then dilute it so much that not even a single molecule of it is left. This remedy is then used to CURE the problem that the substance causes.

I was told about some scientist who set out to debunk homeopathy for the obvious swindle that it is. But she was unable to - her experiments suggested that it works, not just by placebo effect!

My feeling is that the way homeopathy really works is not known to its practitioners, but something they're doing is in fact effective. My wife uses arnica pretty frequently. I don't have any reason to use it myself (at least not that I've heard of), so I can't comment on its effectiveness for me personally.

I used to work for a naturopathic doctor who stated to me (not his patients) that it was often due to placebo effect. Anyway, you're giving people water or alcohol, depending on the base solution. The added chemicals (whether from herbs or something else) are so dilute, that it's impossible for them to have any effect. Additionally, the "natural" chemical selected is supposed to mimic the symptoms, not counteract them as with modern medicine. Tap water has dilute chemicals. We're exposed to minute quantities of stuff all the time. As for arnica, that's not homeopathy unless it's an extract present in a tiny, almost undetectable quantity in solution.

As for placebo effect -- this is always present in pharmaceutical drug trials, in fact. The placebo effect is very strong. In drug trials, a product is shown to be effective if it has significantly greater efficacy than a placebo.

As for accupuncture -- there are actually double- blind studies that have shown its benefit in certain situations, especially pain control or used instead of anesthesia during surgery. There are animal studies, too. Very interesting. I don't disregard all alternative medicine, just a few things here and there (including homeopathy).

Last edited by fatnewmom : Wed, May-20-09 at 00:11.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 00:05

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:

Yeah, and Rudolf Steiner also happened to be a real nut. Read up on his cosmology.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 04:07

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb

I totally believe in homeopathic medicine. At this point in my life I don't have much faith in western medicine because they are much more interested in treating the symptoms rather than the cause...and believe that homeopathy is the wave of the future. Personally, with homeopathy I've been able to get off of many meds that I was using and all of the nasty side effects...except the weigh gain which I am working on! Of course, eating clean foods also helps!

TJ
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 06:47

there is a "placebo" affect in ALL medicine!!! never ever think otherwise I have worked a long time in this field and I honestly do not care where the relief comes from if people feel better then they function better and if that takes what some folks say is "placebo" so what? it worked ...bottom line..your brain is really just another organ! It gets sick just like your liver heart kidneys ect....that very important fact and if you can make it feel better you feel better ...you must keep your brain as happy!

I actually kind of get fatigued over the discount the heathy brain gets..people seem to think everything brain related is somehow less than any other organ! and it is a MAJOR control center ...we fool ourselves into thinking we have all this control and really it is your brain thinking! ..if it does not think you are healthy you are not going to be healthy! I am not saying you can not get sick otherwise I am just saying your brain is also something that can cause problems for wellness!

personaly as a Western nurse who practices complimentary medicine I work on the brain first

sorry about my typing I slice the tip of my finger to he bone and my brain is angry at that $#%% ing knife!!!

when I take care of some folks they will say "I dont care if it is a placebo if I feel better that is all that matters!" I agree!!!!

care for your brain

Last edited by HiDelight : Wed, May-20-09 at 06:54.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 06:32

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have really excellent results with homeopathics. Boiron puts out a number of packaged products that work beautifully. I keep their allergy and cold tabs on hand at all times, and their preparation for yeast infections is also wonderful.

My DH is completely skeptical about how homeopathics are *said* to work, we agree that how they're supposed to work and how they actually do work might not be related, but that they *do* work is indisputable in this house.

If its all in my head? That's fine. Actually, that's better. If I can fool my brain into fixing the problem all by itself I consider that the best possible solution. But I don't really think that's whats happening.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Re flower essences: FES puts out some combination remedies (similar to the form of Rescue Remedy, which incorporates 5 essences), called the Flourish remedies.

This is a nice one, the self-heal remedy:

http://www.fesflowers.com/magenta-self-healer.htm