Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 13:46
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yes, the first Atkins book I read was indeed the 72 version. I picked it up in a local used bookstore for less than $2 and it changed my life in a matter of weeks. I had tried LC many years previously, but quit when I encountered "induction flu" and thought it was just another "fad diet."
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 15:53

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I recently stumbled upon the '72 version of Atkins in a box lot of books donated to the hospital I work out (I snagged it QUICK! DIBS!!!). I read it only because I'd heard so many people on these boards talk about how it is so different from the more recent versions and.... they're right! Much more basic, much less of what I personally consider to be bowing to criticism and pressure that is so much a part of the later books.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 16:28

Plan: VLC
Stats: 215/171.6/130 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/35%/20%
Progress: 51%

some people really do have a hard time digesting the veggies unless they are cooked to a mush. It won't hurt to eat all meat and nuts and no veggies. Even a few ounces of hard cheeses should be okay. You can also take a comprehensive multi vitamin for extra insurance. It is definitely a myth that is out there that meat is hard to digest! It's not! That's what we were meant to eat
  #79   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 17:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I know people who can't digest meat - that's not a myth. But I wonder about the cause. I think it's possible to re-acclimate yourself to digesting meat, but I'm not so sure about grains, vegetables and fruit.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 18:12

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Well I always thought that I couldn't digest meat until I started eating without anything else. I think what was happening was that the veggies I was eating would halt the digestion of everything in my stomach and I always just assumed it was the protein. Now I think it was the fiber and all the various sugars in the veggies that we causing the backup. Meat by itself feels pretty good to me.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 18:25

Yeah, I think it's something like that. But I'm not going to suggest people try it when they tell me they projectile vomited last time they ate beef.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 18:47

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

It intolerance to meat proteins per se, even when meat is eaten on its own. It's not even that rare. Remember the guy who is allergic to the proteins of beef, pork, venisom, buffalo, lamb, duck but lucky him not to chicken proteins.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 18:58

BF:

I don't believe conspiration theories claiming Atkins was soft pedaling his idea for the mainstream. Atkins in 2000 claimed publically that a low fat diet used for patients with heart issues would kill them. He never used restrained words for the ADA or the USDA or the low fat diet. He probably refined his theory which is to be expected by a serious clinical practitioner who clearly gains more real life experience the more people he deals with.

There are doctors who became famous for researches in a particular topic (i.e gluttamate) which they found out serendipitously thanks to a patient of theirs. There are doctors who changed their mind about the existence of CFS and Reactive Hypoglycemia once they observed it in their patients. There are even doctors who changed their mind about concepts like metabolic acidosis and acid alkaline balance which they considered new age theories.
The more patients Atkins was treating which his approach the more info he could gather about the effect of his theories and he probably had the chance to met more people who were not responding positively or needed tweaking. It's like a clinical study, you can't see the exceptions which makes you rethink the absolutism of your theory until you have enough subjects, and only when you have a lot of them you realize the exceptions are not exceptions at all.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 19:50
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Meat, eaten mostly rare or raw is easier to digest than veggies or cooked meats?
  #85   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 07:24

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Meat, eaten mostly rare or raw is easier to digest than veggies or cooked meats?

I believe that. I had a week where I was eating a ton of steak tartare with raw egg yolk and sauerkraut and that was the best I have ever felt. You really have to be in the mood for that though, sometimes it doesn't seem too appetizing. Often I do pop a few raw egg yolks in my mouth when I am cooking scrambled eggs for my boyfriend, it is soo yummy, like custard
  #86   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 07:55

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%
Default No they do not suck they are magnificant!!!

I just want to say ..when ever I log on and see the title of this thread ..sigh ...I will put my word in and step out

I adore vegetables really adore them ..I grow them I cook them I eat them and they make me feel so freaking good! They please my eyes in the garden and on my plate, they please my nose to smell them raw and cooking, they please my mouth eating them ..and best of all I LOOSE WEIGHT WHEN I EAT LOTS OF THEM!!! I love them fermented as well (Thanks Cap for your recipes!) I totally believe they are very good for you raw..cooked... however you like them ..just good for you in more ways they are not just vits minerals and fiber I also believe in a wide variety of fresh local foods (so I grow almost year around)

a world with out fresh greens, garlic, onions, fresh herbs, tomatoes, I would fade away be pale and die

..and I adore the Atkins 2002 because of all the vegetables..for me I always ate more than induction level and even owl level ..the majority of the carbs I eat comes from fresh vegetables and fruit... it has worked for me and I know I am not the only one

and totally I think to each her/his own! what works works and love reading all the ideas and studies

vegetables are such a beautiful thing to me I just had to speak up in thier favor

so imho NO vegetables do not suck! really they don't! for some they may ..but not in my opinion ..in my opinion they are magnificant!

thank you
  #87   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
I don't believe conspiration theories claiming Atkins was soft pedaling his idea for the mainstream.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think he was trying to make money. In 1972, very few people cared about fiber. In 1990, almost everyone did. But the facts on fiber haven't changed.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quick question: Will V8 juice take the place of veggies, as far as nutrition goes, not fiber?

Is it ok when eating lower carbs?

Thanks
  #89   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 10:29

I love V8 juice, but I can't tolerate tomatoes. Just count the carbs.

I have fermented V8 juice a couple times, and as with most things containing tomatoes, it tastes like beer when fermented. Quite good!

If you like vegetables, then enjoy them! But please don't feel obligated because someone told you they're "good for you" or you "need variety," and don't write off everything negative about them because you've already decided that they're healthy. That's how we got into this nutritional mess in the first place.

There are a few fruits and vegetables that make me feel better when I eat them, but I've never seen any evidence that you need vegetables.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, May-14-09, 16:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think he was trying to make money. In 1972, very few people cared about fiber. In 1990, almost everyone did. But the facts on fiber haven't changed.

Then why he publically spoke against low-fat diets, insulted harvard doctors trying to help people with heart issues by reducing saturated fats in their diets and still enthusiastically and without constraint promoted the idea that many people have unstable blood sugar and poor glucose tolerance and need will go anywhere to the point of developing eventually diabetes if they keep their low-fat nutrition?
Atkins was more interested in his work with real life patients than whatever book sale and he was maybe the only one who understood reactive hypoglycemia and glucose intolerance and saying to it more veggies would have not change the slightest the impact his book might have on mainstream and professional naysayers.

Rethinking vegetables and how not everyone tolerate very low level of carbs is not to me soft-pedaling his theories since those are not things that make his book less hardcore. The only way to soft-pedal his idea would have been to write and say that fat is dangerous, that people with heart disease need to consume maximum 10 grams of fat a day that grains are essential and that low-carb is an extreme measure for people who want to lose weight for vanity but that after losing weight one should go back to an healthy diet of 60% carbs.
And he never said such things. To me his 72 and 2000 books are both hardcore books that attrected huge criticism (which Atkins ignored anyway) and the differences in the new version are due to Atkins refination of his therapy and diet in decades of clinical practice with patients from all walk of life.