Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
today I was back down to 130.6. I'm eating a lot more calories than I used to. I used to be around 1500 putting stuff into fitday and I have gone to up 1900. My basal body temperature has gone up about half a degree!

Not just the temperature - but your entire metabolism. Your body has to work harder to burn those extra calories, which is another reason why the extra fat works so well. Yay on the loss - I'm sure there will be many more.

As to the queasiness and less need for sleep, give it a few weeks. Your body is going through some major adjustments to use less protein yet supply all your needs with the slightly higher carbs and fat. Once that happens and you're burning additional fat from what's already stored on your body, you will probably have excess energy and need less sleep. Please let us know how that goes.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:42

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Regarding calories, no matter how close I get to the ratios here are my calories for the last 4 days:
I've dropped 2 pounds and I'm not hungry and feel stuffed all the time. It's almost like I have to force myself to eat. But that's all good as far as I'm concerned.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins '72
Stats: 180/166.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 22%

I average 1575 calories for the last week...not hungry here as well.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:52

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm at under 700 cal / day during my experiment. It's fairly low calories. I do feel a bit colder. I'll see if this makes any difference on the weight loss.

Patrick
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:50

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Okay, down another half pound today. That's my current "good". Tomorrow I'll be starting week three and still feel totally confused by this plan. I *may* have to break down and buy the book(s) at some point. Darn, wish they were not so expensive!
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:31
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
still feel totally confused by this plan.

Me too. But if I was getting the results you are, I wouldn't worry about it, I'd figure I must be doing it right!
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lisa's implementation is pretty darned simple. Find a reasonable goal weight. Divide by 2.2 for Kilograms. That's your protein. Multiply that by .8 for carbs. Multiply protein by 2.5 for fat. Voila. OD/ON a la Lisa.

I'd just add to that, eat more fat if you're still hungry.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:52
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Yes, that's simple, but after reading the Paleo/OD thread, I'm not convinced it's right.
But if I was getting Debbie's results, I would at least be convinced it's right for me.
I haven't made any real progress yet, although this week I am losing. Too soon to tell if I'm still in the pattern I've been stuck in for the past year, losing the same 6 or 7 pounds over and over. If I'm still in that holding pattern, I'll mysteriously bounce right back up to 197 some time next week or the week after. If that DOESN'T happen this time, if I can enter the 180's and stick for a while... I'll call that progress.
Stay tuned!
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 12:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Yes, that's simple, but after reading the Paleo/OD thread, I'm not convinced it's right.

I think what works for people is what's right for them, so if it's working that's great!

Food for my own thought: I was recently told the Atkins article is very brief (as it's just meant to contrast the two diets), and it's missing much of the information that's in the books. E.g., obese people are supposed to decrease their proportion of fat, as has been said many times.

For fat, you'd start with ~150 g (1:2.5 ratio). Once you started losing weight, you'd lower it to 120, or even down to 90 if the weight loss was very rapid. Once you were close to your ideal weight, you'd go back up to 150 for the last few pounds, and then around 210 (1:3.5) for maintenance.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 12:50

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
I think what works for people is what's right for them, so if it's working that's great!

Food for my own thought: I was recently told the Atkins article is very brief (as it's just meant to contrast the two diets), and it's missing much of the information that's in the books. E.g., obese people are supposed to decrease their proportion of fat, as has been said many times.

For fat, you'd start with ~150 g (1:2.5 ratio). Once you started losing weight, you'd lower it to 120, or even down to 90 if the weight loss was very rapid. Once you were close to your ideal weight, you'd go back up to 150 for the last few pounds, and then around 210 (1:3.5) for maintenance.

so you are saying less fat per day will slow down weight/fat loss? how can that be if you then increase the fat once you are at ideal weight? I must be missing something here. please clarify.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 13:14

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Yes, that's simple, but after reading the Paleo/OD thread, I'm not convinced it's right. But if I was getting Debbie's results, I would at least be convinced it's right for me.

Well naturally I'm happy with my results. But I also was confused by the Paleo/OD thread where it seems that in the *book* (which of course I don't have) there are all *sorts* of ratios, the 1:2.5-3.5:.8 ratio may be considered "optimal" but is clearly not the only one, with all sorts of tinkering recommended for being *obese* as opposed to merely "overweight" with "obese" P/F ratios even being as low as one to one. Of course if I kept my protein to my ideal number but only had the same number of grams of fat I'd be well into starvation calorie territory.

But then she says that JK does *not* want people to limit calories, and it's more than okay to increase your protein as long as you maintain your ratios (but which rations now are we talking about??)

I mean references to the book include: Yes, it's really a very flexible plan. P:F can vary all the way from 1:1 for those who are very obese and burning off their own fat quickly, to 1:5 for those who are "fully optimized" and have a high energy need.

You can actually reduce the protein below the initially suggested quantity of 1 g/kg ideal body weight, once your body has adapted to the diet...OTOH, beginners, and people with various medical disorders, may need more than 1 g/kg in the early stages.

That's what I mean by confusion. I mean I'll keep doing what I'm doing, since it's working so far.

But if I stick to my 1:2.5:.5-.8 number strictly I'm often still hungry in the evening after consuming my full quota of calories that the intake for that ratio entails I just want to know if I'm going to badly sabotage myself if I *eat something more*. I mean I just hate going to bed hungry, something I did every night when I was on a low fat diet, and I vowed "never again".

And it seems JK does not advocate this either ... so just the sorts of things I'm still trying to get my head around. Though of course I'm pleased with the progress I've seen.

But back in the 80s I lost even *more* weight and lost it much faster on a low fat diet. It just was not sustainable because of the constant hunger, cravings, etc. I'm worried about developing that feeling.

Last night at choir rehearsal I was *hungry* although I was at my max limit already of 1900 calories (based on my 1:2.5:.8 ratio) and I actually found myself staring longingly at the fudgy homemade brownies - a feeling I never have when I'm "in the groove" with LC. So that scared me a bit.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 14:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

It sounds like Dr. Jan just messes around with macros if things aren't working. In other words... he guesses. It doesn't sound like he has any hard and fast rules for diabetics or people not losing weight, other than tweak around the macros (lower carbs, lower calories). I can guess and tweak too.

Quote:
But back in the 80s I lost even *more* weight and lost it much faster on a low fat diet. It just was not sustainable because of the constant hunger, cravings, etc. I'm worried about developing that feeling.

You were also 20 years younger and that makes an enormous difference.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default The OD: Nothing confusing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma

Not by any scientist who has a working knowledge of insulin resistance and fat accumulation metabolic syndrome. Here's the problem with the Paleo thread:

1: The only source of information is a single person who has the books. The books were written about a decade ago, based on the model that JK developed nearly four decades ago. He was right about some things -- and dead wrong, as per more recent science -- about a lot of other things.

2: The model mostly deals with the most nutritious foods to eat, not with losing weight. And where JK is wrong (using outdated and disproven theory), he's wrong here most, and is completely contradicted by the science in Good Calories, Bad Calories and many other more recent works.

3: When Atkins became the main go-to diet for losing weight, JK wrote a very succinct paper comparing the diets -- for weight loss -- only 5 years ago. The ratios he gives in that paper, the last word we have from him on the subject, are not the same as they were nearly 40 years ago. Clearly, he's learned a few things about obesity and how to treat it.

4: The best way to illustrate this is to simply do the math, which no one on Paleo has bothered to do. The source there claims that the book states that the obese (whom she distinguishes from the overweight, unlike JK in his latest thoughts on the matter!) are to eat this ratio: 1: 1: .5.

Let's do the math. You weigh 300 pounds, but your ideal weight is 60 kilos. Under this plan you'd be allowed to eat 60g protein (240 calories), 30g carbs (120 calories), and 60g fat (540 calories). That's a grand total of 900 calories a day! And that, my friends, is unsafe, proven not to work in the long term, is completely unsustainable, and goes against everything we know about obesity from a scientific, medical point of view. Everything we know today, that is.

Thirty to forty years ago the "calories in vs. calories out" theory of weight loss was in full swing. Furthermore, this outdated and disproven ratio goes against everything else JK preached in the books about why it's important to eat enough carbs to remain out of ketosis. He's very clear that this is major distinction of his diet compared to others.

As to lowering the fat for the obese, here's what else JK wrote in the paper five years ago, which the Paleo thread conveniently leaves out:

"Dr Wolfgang Lutz, the Austrian medical practitioner and distinguished scientist, the author of the book “Life without bread”, whom a few years ago I personally familiarised with the principles of ON and the results achieved in its utilization in the treatment of a range of so-called ‘untreatable diseases’ recently wrote: “Dr Jan Kwasniewski, using extremely high amounts of fat in the diet, has been achieving for some 30 years now, results which are much better than any achieved by other types of low carbohydrate diets”.

Do these words in any way remotely suggest to you a man who still calls for a 1: 1 ratio of protein to fat? I think not.

5: Dr. Bernstein is arguably the best expert out there for the treatment of diabetics who are obese. His advice? Keep your carbs reasonably low and lower your protein. If you don't lose weight, or stop losing weight before you reach a normal weight -- continue reducing your protein until you lose weight again.

The question that needs to be asked here is this: are we willing to look at the science and follow that (even if we do this by mixing the old and still valid while disregarding any theory that is no longer valid) -- or is it more important to be an acolyte and slavishly follow what an author created so many years ago? Naturally, the answer to that question must come from each individual, but it's no contest for me.

I'm eating low protein, lots and lots of fat - and just enough carbs to stay out of ketosis, which is about 46g a day. And that works out to 1600-1900 calories - not 900.

You may need to tinker at the edges of this WOE to get it to optimally work for you, but I don't see anything confusing about it. JK's last word on what to eat if you're overweight is crystal clear: 1: 2.5: .8 -- and you eat that way until you've reached 'normal weight range'. After that, you eat 1: 3.5: .8.

My 2cents; YMMV

Lisa
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 17:34

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am open to this plan if for no other reason than that it should keep you out of ketosis. I get intractable insomnia when in ketosis. But, here's the puzzlement: At a goal weight 112 (51k), I am shooting for 51 grams of protein, 41 grams of carb, and about 125 grams of fat. I have been averaging 41cho this week, and I am still in ketosis! Don't know what to make of that. Shall I just give it more time, or add more carbs? Any ideas?
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 17:39

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Just wanted to leap in and give my 'report' of how I'm doing.

I am NOT doing Dr. K's diet. I got spanked because I wasn't weighing foods (and I have never figured out the macro stuff).

BUT I took my regular diet (Lacto-Paleo) - on which I have been maintaining/stalling - and tried to add more fat and lower protein whilst adding carbs from veg.

I added heavy cream to my morning coffee and replaced one meal's meats with fat. I also tossed all eggwhites.

I got the flu early on in the experiment and along with geting my period, that caused me to get a late start.

Currently I am LOSING, though. I'm actually losing 1lbs every 2-3 days.

I am eating less. I'm never hungry and I used to eat twice a day, now I only eat once.

BAD part is that I have no energy. I feel listless and drained. Is this normal? I hate feeling like this.

My typical meal is fatty meat (like a pork chop or sausage), hog jowls (apx 3/4 pork fat w/ small amt of lean), 2-3 egg yolks, all fried in bacon grease and perhaps a small salad or raw broccoli.