Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 09:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/170/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Diana,

Just out of cusriosity, do you notice that your moods tend to be more stable when eating low carb? I too suffer from depression, and I find that the "highs and lows" that your body goes through when processing big loads of carbs can carry over into your moods.

I feel like my body and brain chemistry are more balanced when I limit the carbs in my diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 09:51

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana55
Reason being, I happen to have a very sensitive autonomic nervous system, and mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Soooooooo I have to TRY to function on a low grade of depression daily, with it spiking to a horrible place, every so often.

Oh I feel for you! I have exactly the same thing. Through a lot of trial and error, I have found that what makes me feel the best is to not keep my carbs too low but not let them get too high either - if you see the plan I have listed, it's "Life Without Bread," where the only guideline is eat 72g of carb or less per day. I'm usually right around the 72g mark. If I go too low in my carbs, like Atkins, I start to feel the same way you do. And if I go too high, my autonomic stuff and heart palpitations act up like crazy and I start to get severe anxiety. The middle ground is good for me...I get the weight loss and health (autonomic/MVP/other stuff) benefits, but I don't get that really oogy feeling (physical and emotional) that induction-level carbs give me. And I get to eat stuff like fruit.

I hope you can get it all worked out! It is really frustrating.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 09:52

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

If Atkins makes you feel sick, then your body might be happier with a slightly higher carb level. I'd also suggest South Beach, or Protein Power, or Life Without Bread. There are many levels of low carb.

Quote:
The reason? I suffer from depression, and am not able to take antidepressants. I've tried them all, yes ALL of them, and they all raise my blood pressure dangerously high and affect my heart.

Reason being, I happen to have a very sensitive autonomic nervous system, and mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Soooooooo I have to TRY to function on a low grade of depression daily, with it spiking to a horrible place, every so often.

I had a huge improvement in depression when I stopped consuming sugar, which includes fruit and cereals. Talk to your doctor about supplementing with Vit D, known to improve any kind of seasonal affective issues, and vit. B6, which is a big component in creating the happy brain chemicals.

Lowering your carb intake, and thereby your insulin levels might get your blood pressure naturally low enough that you could tolerate some of the anti-depressants after a while and be in a better place long term.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I have mvp too and totally relate to your sensitivity levels. The books I've read on mvp actually recommend cutting out sugar, chocolate, alcohol, aspartame and glutamine. When I started lowcarb my heart arrythmia decreased in frequency about 85%.

I am biased and believe lowfat is a nonsensical diet method. I feel best and love eating lots of chicken, fish, vegetables and nuts. I like my carbs 40-70 a day. It just happens to not be highfat.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 11:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

Did you have these issues when you were low-fatting? Maybe that's the difference.

Also, you can do low-fat/low-carb. It means you eat a lot of veggies and protein and keep the fat lower. Have you tried that? Calories will probably be a lot lower too.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 12:14

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Ah yes! You see, this is the FIFTH time I've attempted low-carb eating.

I did however, keep that weight off the first time, for 2 years. It was me who stopped walking and eating junk.

Anyway, yes, you hit on a good thing. ... I really need to find a WOE that I CAN stay with for life, I'm just SO frightened that I'll never be able to do that.

The reason? I suffer from depression, and am not able to take antidepressants. I've tried them all, yes ALL of them, and they all raise my blood pressure dangerously high and affect my heart.

NOT FUN!

The way that affects my eating is, I can stay with most changes in eating, for awhile ... then I reach the dark place, and feel VERY discouraged, that one, I haven't lost loads of weight fast, and two, that I'll NEVER be able to live without the foods that make me happy.

Now realize that I'm a small eater, I have a little appetite, so I'm not talking about LOTS of food, but just foods that are easy for me to prepare when I'm in that 'dark' place, and when my lupus or fibromyalgia act up, and I go into a flare and not able to do allot physically. Cereal (and I always eat healthy cereal) is one of my favorite foods, so are banana shakes. They're easy to prepare and I love them. But on low-carb (Atkins particular), can't have fruit or cereal for awhile, and even then, in moderation.

Whole grain bread I love, and peanut butter on that (natural) is another easy and very loved food for me.

So I start low-carb, and I do that for 2 weeks, and start to get tired of preparing food, eating fat, and if I go into flares or depression, I just don't have the strength to do all that, and end up wanting to have cereal and fruit, etc.

Walking is very hard on me also, because of the depression, fibro and lupus.
I'd LOVE to buy a treadmill, but I just can't afford it right now. I know I'd walk on that daily. Walking outside is not good for me, because in the summer, I can't bear the humidity .. it affects my lupus very badly. A treadmill would enable me to walk with air conditioning.

All I know is, my life is a mess emotionally right now, separated and in a very sad place trying to decide if I divorce my husband or not, problems with family all around, and it heavily affects the way I eat.

So there ya go .. take it and see what the hell you can make of it! LOL

Seriously, it's discouraging, because each time I've tried this, I really meant to go all the way, but the depression and my physical issues play a big part in me having to quit.

You might want to look at The Schwarzbein principle or Life without bread. Both of those plans are more moderate on the carb intake than Someothers, and you might find them doable with your fears. Honestly, I am less depressed when I low carb than when I am eating the stuff "I want". I create my own happiness, food should not make me happy. What you are looking for is self medicating processes. You really need to research different plans because each plan is slightly different with different focus.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I just wanted to let you guys know I've read all the replies, and will respond soon, in allot of 'back' pain today ... so can't be on the computer too long.

Hugs!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 05:42

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Yes, I have read the Atkins book ... I've misplaced it though, and am trying to find it. I do understand the concept of low-carb, and how it's suppose to control many things ... but also what I'm questioning is, why did I feel better than I have in years, when I ate lower fat, and was walking?

I did keep that weight off for 2 years, and the reason it came back was because I stopped walking and started eating too much junk. I also think I 'might' have been able to keep allot of the weight off, if I had eaten what I wanted, but still kept walking.

I also know people who walk allot (treadmill or outside) and eat what they want. They maintain a healthy weight and feel really good. So I question why low-carb is said to be better than that?

There could be other things that occurred which are responsible for your earlier success, something else other than the walking, something which you haven't identified.

For instance, I've been reading a little bit about how it is almost impossible to lose any weight during times when one is experiencing great S.T.R.E.S.S --- during intense stress, blood levels of cortisol soar and prevent weight loss.

I think most of us have had stress as a constant during most of our lives, but I've noticed that during those times when I was optimistic about the future, that although I was still stressed out, that I was able to lose weight EFFORTLESSLY, whereas when I had no reason to positively anticipate anything, there was no weight loss.

The hormone Leptin is also involved, not 'just' the cortisol, and of course, also insulin.

If your life was calmed down enough that you actually had the time and the motivation to walk three miles a day -- the weight loss MIGHT have been due to a lack of cortisol constantly coursing through your veins.

So many Americans have been living stressed out abnomal lives, often coupled with way too little sleep -- that it's possible that STRESS chemicals are in large part behind the current epidemic of obesity.

Are you aware that deep depression is associated wiht iron deficiency?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 08:23

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Since you say you didn't go really low fat, I assume you gave up "junk." Stuff like potato chips and doughnuts, which are full of fat but also over processed highly refined carbohydrates. And if you ate less "junk" you were probably making healthier nutritional choices that gave you more vital nutrients than you had been getting.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 22:12
LUST For The Moment

Plan: LC/VLC
Stats: 167/139/137 Female 5'7"
BF:5'7"
Progress: 93%

I'm on a low-fat, LC (10-20 grms/day) regimen and feel...............GREAT.

YMMV.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 00:10

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Diana,

You posted this:

Quote:
Ah yes! You see, this is the FIFTH time I've attempted low-carb eating.

You are absolutely not alone in this. I am losing count of how many re-starts I have embarked on.... Admittedly, I have never gone back to really high-carb eating, either, because this WOE suits my metabolism so well, but I have often raised my carbs more than necessary and gained a few pounds again. The fifth time, the tenth time, the main thing is you haven't given up and are still looking for answers - that is the most important thing - to keep on having faith in yourself!

Quote:

Have you looked into magnesium supplements, such as magnesium taurate, magnesium malate? I'm not qualified to say whether these are OK with your condition, but, generally, magnesium can help with depression and is good for helping regulate the heart rhythm (low magnesium causes arrhythmia - I know, it happens to me as soon as I forget to take my supplements regularly).
Oh, and it's good for fibromyalgia, too.

Quote:

NOT FUN!

I believe you!

Quote:
The way that affects my eating is, I can stay with most changes in eating, for awhile ... then I reach the dark place, and feel VERY discouraged, that one, I haven't lost loads of weight fast, and two, that I'll NEVER be able to live without the foods that make me happy.

You write here about "the foods that make you happy", but, if these are grain-based foods, such as bread, they might also be precisely the foods that are causing your fibromyalgia... Grains apparently have addictive qualities, which means your body says you need these foods, even though they are bad for you... Sugary foods cause big insulin swings, which cause mood swings... If you want to go through rollercoaster emotions, then the best thing to do is eat high-carb sugary foods!

Quote:
Now realize that I'm a small eater, I have a little appetite, so I'm not talking about LOTS of food, but just foods that are easy for me to prepare when I'm in that 'dark' place, and when my lupus or fibromyalgia act up, and I go into a flare and not able to do allot physically. Cereal (and I always eat healthy cereal) is one of my favorite foods, so are banana shakes. They're easy to prepare and I love them. But on low-carb (Atkins particular), can't have fruit or cereal for awhile, and even then, in moderation.

Again, these cereals (do you mean breakfast cereals, or just grain-based foods in general, like bread?) may be what is causing your fibro. There is a lady on this forum, whose name I could pass on if she is OK with it, who has "gone paleo", i.e. stays away from all grains and all dairy, and she is now PAIN-FREE!!! There seems to be growing consensus that there is no such thing as a "healthy" grain in the modern world (the way cereals are prepared today makes them unhealthy, it seems: in the "olden" days, different preparation methods, along with raw milk, were used).

Quote:
Whole grain bread I love, and peanut butter on that (natural) is another easy and very loved food for me.

I totally understand this, as I live in Germany where they make very good bread. But I am trying to wean myself off bread as I think it is no longer good for me.

Quote:
So I start low-carb, and I do that for 2 weeks, and start to get tired of preparing food, eating fat, and if I go into flares or depression, I just don't have the strength to do all that, and end up wanting to have cereal and fruit, etc.

I really feel for you, I really do. This sounds horrible. I can only echo what another poster said: either start supplementing with vitamin D3 straight away, without getting tested, or have your levels tested. I would bet the farm that your levels are low. This can cause all sorts of health problems.

I also wonder about your magnesium levels: do you have any problems with your legs or toes cramping easily, Charley Horses, twitchiness, stiff neck and shoulders, heartbeat irregularities? These are some of the typical physical symptoms of magnesium deficiency; anxiety is one of the mental symptoms.

I was taking magnesium daily before I started taking Vitamin D3 and within days I noticed the difference. Prior to taking the D, I had had - for the first time ever - symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (it was November), feeling really low and tearful for no outward reason, getting upset over other people's comments that I would normally brush off without a second thought, all things that kind of frightened me, because I'm normally a cheerful, happy-go-lucky sort of person. BUT!!! These reactions were due to a chemical imbalance: after three days of 4,000IUs per day, I was a new person!!! In fact, initially, I was almost euphoric!

Please look into vitamin D3 and magnesium. If you are low in magnesium already, and start taking Vitamin D3 without extra magnesium, this can result in a more pronounced deficiency than you had in the first place, because the Vit D3 improves your uptake of magnesium, which can then mean your "stores" are very quickly depleted. I have "witnessed" this with someone on this forum, so I'm not making it up!

Quote:
All I know is, my life is a mess emotionally right now, separated and in a very sad place trying to decide if I divorce my husband or not, problems with family all around, and it heavily affects the way I eat.

Life is not being kind to you at the moment, so it is definitely time for you to be your own best friend. If you take charge of these health issues and look into how you can improve your health by taking a few simple steps (such as taking a few supplements and looking into giving up grains as a long-term project), then you will feel much more in control of life and not just a victim of fate.

I can really understand that, if you are depressed, then everything seems like you are wading through treacle (been there, done that), but there is the potential for change for the better.

If you want me to get in touch with the lady on this forum who has seen her fibro symptoms DISAPPEAR after "going paleo", then just contact me via my journal. Oh, and by the way, she recommends a proteolytic enzyme called serrapeptase as being good for the pain she occasionally gets (I think this happens if she strays from the paleo path, but I'm not sure).

You take care now, and hang on in there.

Here's the link to a site on magnesium which also mentions that mitral valve prolapse (is that the right word?) may be caused by low magnesium, and says that the anxiety symptoms connected with it can be relieved by magnesium supplements. Please have a look at it!

http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html

amanda

Last edited by amandawood : Thu, Jun-25-09 at 00:55.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 23:47

Plan: modified paleo
Stats: 250/240/150 Female 163
BF:
Progress:

In my opinion I think most people can lose weight on most restricted diets, its just a matter of whether you can be happy while on your particular regime. But for me the Low Carb way makes me feel better, more alert and less hungry. Plus I lose weight faster.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 06:48

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think that many people can and will lose weight with a low fat diet. People can lose weight with just about any diet on the market right now. Now with that said, will they reach their goal? Most, probably not, and then the hardest part which is maintaining that loss for a lifetime. I don't know anyone personally who lost weight on a low fat approach and was able to maintain it. Now I know many friends who lost weight on a low fat diet but always gained it back. I know for me, I could never live on everything lean and baked forever or counting calories and fat grams in everything I ate........ I would lose my mind!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 07:59

Plan: Based on Barry Groves
Stats: 275/252/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

I lost a bunch of weight on low cal (and lower fat) and felt good. However what I thought was great then was not even close to how good low carb makes me feel.

You should get a healthy mechanism for dealing with stress. I personally recommend qigong and taichi. If the teacher is any good it will help tremendously not just as a stress reliever but also teach you how to not get as stressed about stuff. If you are interested I can help you find a teacher.

Good luck!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
OK, I want to know:

Why did I lose weight, have loads of energy, and look good, eating lower fat (never went extremely low or no fat), and walking?

I also felt healthier than I have in years. And I did have good tone. Sooooooo if I did it then, and WOULD have kept it off, if I had continued to walk, I do believe ... why is it said, that's it better for you to do low carb?

Edited to add: Before I lost this weight, I had been overweight by 55 pounds for many years, at least 15 years.

Please let's discuss ...

There's only one reason you lost fat: You ate less carbohydrate. As we cut calories, we invariably cut carbohydrate. Dietary fat doesn't have the capacity to cause you to grow fat. Nor does protein. Only carbohydrate has the capacity to cause you to grow fat. Thus, the only solution to lose this surplus fat is to cut that which caused you to grow fat: Carbohydrate.