Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

theres so many biased studies out there
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 11:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger95
Seems like all the long-lived people are those who've had to endure periods of 'going without' and I'm fascinated by some of the research being done with calorie restriction and intermittent fasting. Toughens the body and spirit, increases longevity?
Speaking of spirit, there was a book about centenarians I read a while back that said the only real common denominator was mental/emotional; good coping mechanisms for stress, having an outgoing nature, enjoyment of people and life, believing in hard work and staying active. What mineralman said about the Okinawans' relationships and sense of community is in that vein I think.

There are long-lived people healthy into old age who've eaten just about every imaginable diet -- I don't think extremes are the answer, and I do think calorie restriction has a lot to do with it (but more like longterm mild calorie restriction, or periods of going without, rather than the drastic reductions some CRON fans live with.)
  #93   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

i really think good amounts of meat/fat/ veggies to the age of 50-60, then shifting to caloric restriction diet of high veggies and lower amounts of meat, is probably optimal diet.
  #94   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 13:41

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
you can find people that eat high fat and meat diet that live long... but on a mass scale the evidence shows people who live the longest are active, no sugar, but eating some grains, legumes, good fats and moderate amounts of meat, not to much meat and usually decents amouts of fish / veggies.... red meat is not much but used in bits.
who cares about some tribe that eats all meat..

the evidence shows that those who live the longest eat a moderate diet, there not eating high fat diets..

What evidence are you referring to? It's just bizarre the stuff you spew from your keyboard, e.g. "no sugar" - are you claiming that none of your precious centenarians have eaten sugar? "red meat is not much but used in bits" What the hell is that supposed to mean? It's actually hard to know where to start with your ramblings. As for "who cares about some tribe that eats all meat"... Uhmmm most people who use this forum would, trolls being the exception of course.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 18:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

frankly, centerians eat a basic, moderation diet of all foods.. your diet wont be found in somone over 100, sorry

they certainly didnt let themselves balloon up to a staggering 264lb (doing this probably causes permanent damage to internal organs) they been thin and active all there lives and certainly not doing extreme crazy all meat diets...

97 Yr Old Physician's
Formula For Life
For breakfast I drink coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Olive oil is great for the arteries and keeps my skin healthy. Lunch is milk and a few cookies, or nothing when I am too busy to eat. I never get hungry because I focus on my work. Dinner is veggies, a bit of fish and rice, and, twice a week, 100 grams of lean meat.

i think your find most people over 100s diet is probably somewhat similar,, a simple diet....
http://www.rense.com/general85/formula.htm

these people do not think about foood.. they just eat , there usually to happy and busy they probably forget to eat sometimes.

95% or higher of people over 100 are not eating much red meat or meat in general... probably similar amounts of meat as 97 y/O physican..

Last edited by mineralman : Sun, May-10-09 at 18:43.
  #96   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 18:51

BF:

Quote:
frankly, centerians eat a basic, moderation diet of all foods.. your diet wont be found in somone over 100, sorry

they certrainly didnt let themselves baloon up to a staggering 250lbs, they been thin and active all there lives and certainly not doing extreme crazy all meat diets...

Thanks for the class response. What a skillfully honed ad hominem, clearly I can't argue with such superior logic. I guess asking you for your evidence was rather silly on my part. My apologies for putting you in a position to embarrass yourself once again.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 19:03

BF:

Quote:

they certainly didnt let themselves balloon up to a staggering 264lb (doing this probably causes permanent damage to internal organs) they been thin and active all there lives and certainly not doing extreme crazy all meat diets...

i think your find most people over 100s diet is probably somewhat similar,, a simple diet....
http://www.rense.com/general85/formula.htm

these people do not think about foood.. they just eat , there usually to happy and busy they probably forget to eat sometimes.

95% or higher of people over 100 are not eating much red meat or meat in general... probably similar amounts of meat as 97 y/O physican..

Just quoting you for posterity, you do such extensive edits... that I like to be certain that what I actually read will still be there the next time I look at it. I notice you "fixed" your first post to match my proper obese weight; Nicely played - you must have worried someone wouldn't realize you were talking about me having ballooned up to such a staggering weight.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your goal of living to be 100. I think you have a good chance, the light that burns half as bright at least burns twice as long.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 01:43

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I had a great uncle who lived to be 102, Jerome Minnich, Lucas County, Ohio. My grandmothers made 97/98. They ate the traditional American northern Ohio diet of their time. A diet based on meat, and cooking with lard. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. I don't think living to be 100 is most people's goal in life though. Being healthy in retirement is. No one I know is healthy in the long term eating the American Pyramid low fat diet, which is vastly different than the only successful low fat diet I am aware of, which is the Japanese seafood based diet.
For all the talk about Seventh Day Adventists, note they are not required to be vegetarian, and their average lifespan is about 80 (average). The healthy vegetarians are the ones who cheat and eat meat.
Yeah, I hit 277, so I guess all my internal organs were damaged and now I'm gonna die according to mineral man. Though my blood pressure, cholesterol, pulse, are perfect.

My wife's fathers family grew up on a farm in southern Kentucky. Her father was one of eleven children. Most of these eleven children lived to be around 100 or a little over. All loved pork, devilled eggs, dairy, and in general, fatty foods. None of them would have bought the stupid idea of eating a near vegetarian diet. At one family reunion, they all brought ham because that is what they liked (in their nineties, did not bother to co-ordinate what to bring).
  #99   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 04:33

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
I have heard okinawas will actually skim or cut fat off from food... like strain there soup to get fat out...

"I have heard" that the moon is made of green cheese, and a cow jumped over it once.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 06:29

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

All the myths I have heard about people who live long lives say low-fat, low-calorie diets are the way to go but when you read about individual super-centenarians you find out their diets are very different from this. One lady I read about ate bread fried in drippings, a man in Germany said his favorite foods were bacon and beer, and the old French lady said her favorite food was beef stew and chocolate. It sounds to me like they ate what they liked and they all liked fatty food. I also really like fatty food and for me to eat a low-fat vegetarian diet I would really have to force myself because it is not good. The stress of forcing yourself to eat in a way that you don't like would probably counteract any benefit you would derive from the diet.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 09:39

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

The Mormons have similar longevity to the Seventh-Day Adventists, and they have a similar social structure, which is conducive to a long, healthy life. Unlike the SDAs, the Mormons eat plenty of meat.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 12:59

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm fascinated by some of the research being done with calorie restriction and intermittent fasting. Toughens the body and spirit, increases longevity?

Okinawa - On Living Longer

Hara Hachi Bu

Bo
  #103   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: weston a price
Stats: 270/255/240 Male 76"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the youtube vid Bobo; that's very interesting. A restrictive diet based on soya and plants.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/249/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy

BoBoGuy, thanks for posting that!

I also found the following study on intermittent fasting quite interesting (it's only the abstract so it's a quick read):

Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men

#105   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 11:58

BF:

Quote:
... intermittent fasting and refeeding ...

"refeeding"? What's that? Like chewing one's cud? Or perhaps engaging in coprophagia?