Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 23:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Did you consult the Vit. D council links?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 03:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Mercola has a list of safe tanning studios for those who live in the USA.
I've tried to find out about the UVB content of the"Smart Lamp II" Hex booths but the only information I have found so far is they are listed on a page with other tanning beds and the others had that phrase " uvb blocked" and the "Smart Lamp II" Hex booths didn't have that phrase but the fact they are not claiming uvb blocking (guarantees no vitamin d can be made just skin damaging UVA) does not mean a natural or effective amount of UVB is present.
There is also the problem that it is very easy to replace the tubes in a tanning bed so the tanning parlor owner could save money by replacing expensive UVB producing tubes with less expensive higher UVA output tubes so whatever information you find out about the tubes the tanning cubicle was initially supplied with may not apply to your local facility.

The only way is to go look at the tanning parlor and try to see what tubes they are using. But then you have the problem about "How long have those tubes been used" most UVB producing tubes have a 500~800hr life.so you need to be confident your local tanning studio has a UVB meter and checks the UVB output to ensure the UVB output is still effective.

The Vitamin D Council are now agents for UVB lights so maybe you would do better to invest in your own.

It's probably cheaper/safer to use supplements whenever sunlight is not available or a home tanning bed that you can be sure has higher UVB output tubes and for which you can monitor the hrs used.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 13:03

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Yes, I did check the Vitamin D Council links. But I found no info there regarding the local option.

I walked into the booths and took the info right off the bulbs, so they are using the bulbs that the booths call for.

Next time I go, I will ask if they monitor the UVB output. And if so, how much is it.
If they don't, I will simply forget about it as an option.

But if they DO monitor the UVB output, what should it be at? What are the units of measurement? What is the minimum?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 10:21

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I have a question.

What do you do if you get sunburned? I seem to remember that if you burn, it actually destroys Vitamin D. I was outside a lot yesterday (at a running race) and I got a mild burn on my face and neck. I was wearing shorts and my legs did not burn. Would I suffer an overall loss of Vitamin D from that?

I've completely forgotten any wisdom about treating sunburn. I'd be interested if anyone here has any traditional remedies, both topical and nutritional.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 13:25
Registered Member

BF:

Uvguide You will note from this article that even the dimmest reptile sits out in the sun all day.
You will see from the graphs the importance of getting your sun exposure at midday when the UVB content is at it's highest and thus you get a better uvb<>uva ratio.

For the UK I found this list showing UVB producing sunbed tubes average between 1.8~2.5% UVB. but that will be their rated output for the first 500~800hrs.

UV lamps producing high percentage UVB
Sunfit RX Plus 100W 2.40% 30W Helionova www.helionova.co.uk
ERS SOL-PROF 160W 2.50% 46W Alpha Industries www.alpha-industries.b
ASR5-17-160
ERS SOL-SOFT 100W 1.80% 31W Alpha Industries www.alpha-industries.b
AH3-24
Philips Swift 100/160W1.8-2% 30-40W Philips Phone +31 165 57 7011
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
What do you do if you get sunburned? I seem to remember that if you burn, it actually destroys Vitamin D

Yes It's explained here and the same process occurs in lizard skin as happens in human skin. for hairy animals like dogs its slightly different and also different again for cats but for vitamin d purposes we are more like lizards than cats or dogs and the matter of UVB turning Vitamin d into suprasterols to stop us getting Vitamin D toxicity from sunlight.
Quote:
I was outside a lot yesterday (at a running race) and I got a mild burn on my face and neck. I was wearing shorts and my legs did not burn. Would I suffer an overall loss of Vitamin D from that?[/url] Probably not. In fact you have to get a bit pink to get the maximum amount of vitamin d but the bits that were actually burn't wouldn't have benefited much from Vitamin d.

[QUOTE]
I've completely forgotten any wisdom about treating sunburn. I'd be interested if anyone here has any traditional remedies, both topical and nutritional.

Wiki says
applying a clean washcloth soaked with cool (not cold) milk, in the form of a cold compress. In addition to the cool temperature, a protein film will form to soothe the pain and the lactic acid will help reduce inflammation. A solution of diluted white cider vinegar(approx. 1 cup in a tub of water) applied in a similar fashion may also ease pain

Although the sun in the UK is rarely hot enough for long enough to cause sunburn I have not got sunburnt at all although I do get more sun exposure than most. I think it's because I start the season with a high vitamin d status so my skin goes into protection, rather than vitamin d synthesis mode, straight away and even though we've only has a few days this year my tan is pretty good already. I also have a high omega 3 ratio and I think having long chain molecules in cells enables them to conduct heat better I also think you have an advantage with skin cell walls being more permeable so the skin can cope better with stress. I think people with high omega 6 levels fry better and the skin is more likely to burn and that is why we have the rise in skin cancer incidence. Stephan Whole Health Source echoed what I have been thinking about omega 6 and skin cancer here recently
I also drink green tea and that's another anti inflammatory that is associated with photoprotection. I also use a fair bit of tomato puree and that's another excellent way of boosting skin's natural photoprotection. I wrote about improving your skin's natural photoprotection here some years ago. it's about time I did another post on the topic as that is now somewhat out of date.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 00:04

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I have a question.

What do you do if you get sunburned? I seem to remember that if you burn, it actually destroys Vitamin D. I was outside a lot yesterday (at a running race) and I got a mild burn on my face and neck. I was wearing shorts and my legs did not burn. Would I suffer an overall loss of Vitamin D from that?

Barry Groves mentions in one of his books that the traditional "sunscreen" used in Singapore when he was there in the 1960s was vinegar and coconut oil - he jokes how everybody used to smell like "fish and chip shops" (where you get take-away battered and deep-fried fish, served with malt vinegar in the UK). I would try using coconut oil before and after sun exposure. It certainly can't do any harm! The worst thing you can do apparently is to wash your skin too quickly after being out in the sun as you then wash off the newly created D.

amanda
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 05:13

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I rarely get sunburned but the last time I did I was in Cozumel on a cruise. I put coconut oil on my sunburn and never blistered or peeled and two days later it was a nice brown. I guess there is something in the coconut oil that heals but I'm not sure what.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 06:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I rarely get sunburned but the last time I did I was in Cozumel on a cruise. I put coconut oil on my sunburn and never blistered or peeled and two days later it was a nice brown. I guess there is something in the coconut oil that heals but I'm not sure what.

Benefits of Coconut Oil
The two main fatty acids found in coconut oil - lauric and capric acid -are MCTs with special properties. They exhibit anti-microbial activity and help combat pathogenic or disease-causing viruses, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
Coconut oil has been found to aid in the management of inflammatory disease, by increasing production of the anti-inflammatory compound, interleukin-10, and decreasing inflammatory mediators such as interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor.

If it's working as an anti inflammatory agent that should help sunburn. The anti microbial activity would help prevent any damaged skin going manky. I think CO is also anti fungal so may be useful for athletes foot type infections.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:25

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've used coconut oil on my skin before, but sometimes it actually seems like it irritates and dries my skin. It may have been something else, but it made me hesitate to try it again.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 13:09

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

[QUOTE=Hutchinson
If it's working as an anti inflammatory agent that should help sunburn. The anti microbial activity would help prevent any damaged skin going manky. I think CO is also anti fungal so may be useful for athletes foot type infections.[/QUOTE]

It does indeed help with anything fungal!

amanda
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 16:32

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
It does indeed help with anything fungal!

amanda

Will it help if you ingest it or do you have to rub it on?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 02:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Will it help if you ingest it or do you have to rub it on?
I do both.
I consume coconut oil and also massage it into my feet or scalp if I think I've got a problem.

I think it's the same with Vitamin D, it best to get both sun exposure (which puts D3 right on the skin surface) and consume it, to ensure sufficient is circulating and is also available on the surface of your skin.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleo to fit JKR
Stats: 127/132/105 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: -23%

I have a question:

I'm taking BCP to regulate periods, and for some reason I remember quite distinctly that the pills increase sunlight sensitivity (although looking back on it now I can't find a reference). I live in the south, so the sunlight is not as intense, but I've been putting sunscreen on anyway; I don't burn but I have been getting more spots after taking BCPs...

Should I limit my Vitamin D uptake to supplements and diet? And does anyone know how BCPs make one more sun-sensitive?
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 02:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleokiai
I have a question:

I'm taking BCP to regulate periods, and for some reason I remember quite distinctly that the pills increase sunlight sensitivity (although looking back on it now I can't find a reference). I live in the south, so the sunlight is not as intense, but I've been putting sunscreen on anyway; I don't burn but I have been getting more spots after taking BCPs...

Should I limit my Vitamin D uptake to supplements and diet? And does anyone know how BCPs make one more sun-sensitive?
Birth Control Pills may affect your skin's sensitivity to sun by changing your hormonal balance.

Vitamin D is an ENABLING substance and will enable your hormonal system to work better as and when you attain and maintain the 25(OH)D that allows it to work as it evolved.
So taking sufficient Vitamin D3 to raise 25(OH)D above 50ng will help correct any imbalance the skin the BCP's create and also improve your skins natural sunscreen potential.
You may also consider improving your omega 3 <>omega 6 ratio More omega3 improves photoprotection and less omega 6 reduces the propensity to burn.

See also Stephan Whole Health Source
and

Skin Cancer Sunscreen The Dilemma