Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 23:26

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Glenda,

I just happened across BBQ pork rinds in Zellers one day and bought some to see what they were like. They also had another flavour but I don't remember what????? Not sure if they carry them all the time. I haven't checked. They also had Macadamia nuts about $2.50 cheaper than at Superstore.

The other place that carries pork rinds is Superstore. They have plain, BBQ and Hot & spicy (I like these). Again, I was there to get my BFL book and just decided to check out there chips section to see if they carried pork rinds and that's when I found the other flavours.

Most of the time I eat the plain ones but I do like the BBQ and Spicy ones if I'm in that kind of salty mood.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings, Ladies.

I've found Trophy brand and Old Dutch brand (both plain unflavoured and therefore zero carbs) at Western Foods in Langford.

Old Dutch brand is also carried at Thrifty's at Colwood Corners and Quadra Centre (McKenzie & Quadra), thanks to me Old Dutch only comes in plain unflavoured that I've seen; they're called Bac'n Puffs.

Superstore carries flavoured (BBQ, Hot N Spicy) as well as Regular Plain (which is, again, unflavoured so zero carb). The flavourings are usually salt, sugars and mystery chemicals (therefore there's carbs in there). It's No-Name brand, made in the States for Loblaws/Real Canadian Superstore.

The pork rind, lard and salt (from the Ingredients List which IS mandatory on all food products) are all zero carb so the plain cooked rinds are also zero carb.

There should be some good info on products, like these, in the Low Carb Yellow Pages up there on the right of your screen? Always a great place to check... or to add info if you've found any.

The Products Forum itself is full of such tidbits

Hope this helps!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Talking Thanks for the help :)

Well thank you for the advice...I will definately treat myself to the bbq ones on occassion. Even before I started this wol I always enjoyed pork rinds as a snack.

I did on occassion find pork rinds at some $1 stores..yes only a buck each bag! It was the 'Porkys' brand. So sometimes you can find them in the strangest places. Some of our little corner stores have them too.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks ladies. I don't get out to Superstore often since I live in Sidney, but I will definitely go there my next trip to Costco. Gotta love those pork rinds!!!!
I can get the bacon puffs at both Thrifty's and Safeway in Sidney.

Glenda
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 14:08
Registered Member

Lightbulb Pork Rinds vs Potato Chips vs Corn Chips

Let's lay that myth to rest, that Pork Rinds are waaaaaay tooooo fatty, compared with so-called NORMAL snacks. NOT!

100g total wgt (~3.5 oz)--PORK rinds---POTATO chips---CORN chips (about a big bag)
- kCal ---------------545-------------536--------539-----
- protein g ---------61.3-------------7.0--------6.6-------
- lipid (fat) g ------31.3------------34.6-------33.4-----
- total carb g -------0.0------------52.9-------56.9---
- fiber carb g -------0.0-------------4.5--------4.9-----
- ECC g -------------0.0------------48.4-------51.0-----

"Chips" Nutrition, Compared (#s from USDA foods database, work from Dixie Ten Broeck, lowcarber supreme!)
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 14:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Pork Rinds

I love these things...I use them to fry my chicken when I eat it..nothing better!!

Laura
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Here's a comparison of pork rinds with other lowcarb foods.
  • 4 oz (112g) cooked lean ground beef has: 302 calories, 27.5g protein, 0 carbs and 21g fat.
  • 3 oz (85g) natural cheddar cheese has: 342 calories, 21.2g protein, 1.09g carbs and 28.2g fat
  • 4 hard-boiled large eggs have: 309 calories, 25.1g protein, 2.23g carbs and 21.2g fat
  • A whole 2 oz (60g) bag of plain pork rinds has: 308 calories, 30g protein, ZERO carbs and only 20g fat
We can plainly see that pork rinds are lower in fat, higher in protein and zero carbs compared to a similar calories' worth of lean ground beef, natural cheddar cheese or boiled eggs.

Doreen
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:

Made it out to Superstore on Friday, and picked up some of their no-name pork rinds. Tried the BBQ ones last night, and they were OK, but not great. I find them WAY too salty to start with. Just looking at the info, I think they have about 3 times the sodium that the plain Old Dutch ones do. Also got some of the hot anad spicy ones, and regular, but haven't tried them yet!! I looked at Zellers in Hillside for pork rinds but didn't find any there. Will have to check at Tillicum??

Glenda
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 01:48
Registered Member

I've not seen any pork rinds at Zellers, but I haven't actually looked in the 'snacks' section(s) for a couple of months, though I try to cruise each store once in a while. Will keep an eye out but I think they don't have a really good turnover or control on their shelf stocking, so I wouldn't get tooooo anticipatory!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:07

Plan: atkins plan
Stats: 221/221/145
BF:
Default pork rinds

Hello,

Can someone tell me about pork rinds, do they have fat, how many can you have on intro or can you have it . Seems like I am so limited on the foods, I can have. Also what about Iceberg lettice what is the carb count on that.

thank's
Punky
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 17:16
Registered Member

Greetings, Punky and welcome to our super lowcarb site. If you get a moment, I recommend you go to our Introductions forum and introduce yourself, and then maybe have a look through the Newbies' Questions forum, too. There's probably lots of information there that will be helpful to you. We now have more than 5,000 registered members, so I'm sure there's probably somebody who's asked the same questions you have.

Also, see the orange menu bar above? If you click on the LowCarb Tools item, then find the Carb Counter tool, your questions will be quickly answered and you will have learned about a valuable tool for looking up carb counts.

There's lots of discussion already in this Forum about pork rinds, especially. I did a SEARCH for you (see the SEARCH button on the upper right of your screen?) this time, and here is a direct link to a great conversational thread on the subject of Pork Rinds vs Potato Chips vs Corn Chips <-- link
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 04:03

Plan: somers
Stats: 150/145/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default just for the record,

pork rinds are nothing BUT fat! it's pork skins fried in fat!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 18:40
Registered Member

Phat, you obviously haven't checked in a carb counter OR the information referenced above.

Ounce for ounce, pork rinds actually have 1g less fat and a lot more grams protein than potato chips.

Check it out for yourself.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:58

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I just discovered "Sweet & Tangy" pork rinds and the label SAYS 1 carb, even though the ingredients list sugar as the third ingredient and later on down the list it shows brown sugar and dextrose. Is this a misleading label? Figuring the thing out like Dana said in her book is confusing to me. HELP. Also got "Hot & Spicey" pork rinds. They are both SO GOOD! But if they're wrong about the carbs, I need to know!

Anyone?
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 21:03
Registered Member

Soteria, check the serving size and then check the Hidden Carbs calculator... right here on this site. See the orange menu bar above, click on Tools and take it from there, okay? You must check the carbs on this product for yourself, I haven't heard of it before and don't have them in front of me.