Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 11:36

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie

This board seems so slow in comparison to many of the other low carber forums, so I intent to NOT "interrupt" with any further inquiries.

Annie,

Your posts are great. I am new myself but have felt very welcome here. There are lots of nice experienced LCers who are willing to share.

I was similarly emotional when I read Rachel Heller's experiences, especially the one at the doctor's office. Being the weight I am, I have had to endure disapproval at the doctor's office more times than I can count. No one has called me names like they did Rachel, but it was quite offensive to be called "corpulent" in my face at 186 lbs. And it just got worse from there. Like they didn't understand that I was struggling daily to lose with no results. The emotional toll has been huge.

One can be very successful on CALP. It has been the easiest plan to follow. My blood sugar has leveled and I have no cravings. No candy bars for the last 19 days. When my reward meal time rolls around, I don't even want to have the sweets I could have. One half of a sweet potato is almost too much for me - but I eat it because it has the fiber to keep me regular. Same with beans and lentils. The best part about CALP is that it is as close to everyday eating as it gets. I have always hated counting calories or carbs. Now I just use common sense, and small portions satisfy me because my blood sugar is level. It has been easy for me to be disciplined on this plan, because I have no cravings.

As for the Hellers, I wish them all the best. They are wonderful people. I just wish they were more available to us. They could still enjoy their well-deserved retirement and drop a line or two on a blog or something once in a while, while hiring a person to maintain an up-to-date website.

Eliza
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 232/188/165 Female 5'8 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%

I wonder if we could send out a low-carber petition? LOL. There should at least be a Wikipedia entry; maybe I'll create one & see if it stays up. Annie, I also am in the process of reading Good Calories/Bad Calories & it is incredibly eye-opening. It also helped renew my faith in CALP, since the diet really does reflect a lot of Taubes' findings. And I also found Rachel Heller's story of her struggles w/weight to be very poignant - the book seems more like receiving help from a friend, rather than being lectured to by some authority figure.

Quote:
You don't suppose they're "hiding" from their fans because they've gained a bunch of weight??

LOL, I wondered this too! I hope not!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 12:52

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm simply starting Day No.2, and I feel better than I've felt in many years, well over a decade. I decided to seriously try CALP when I was advised on another board that I'm exhibiting symptoms indicative of an allergy to eggs.

So I'm also about 36 hours free of eggs, haven't had any caffeine drinks of any type since last year, and maybe now I can lose some of the weight I put on following all of that STUPID nutritional advice that is virtually everywhere.

I'm making a very meaty version of chili for the RM -- I have been C.R.A.V.I.N.G beans and lentils and chili for weeks & weeks.

I'm going to put at least a cup of chopped celery in it too, as everything else is pretty high-carb.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 12:56

BF:

I really don't know how the Hellers were treated by the nutrition establishment, but I do know that Dr. Atkins was treated with utter contempt by the Medical Pharmaceutical industry, so frankly, if they don't want to have a public face, I can understand that.

I am just amazed at how this specific diet creates a state of lucid calm alertness.

It's great, and if this is what they've felt like for the past 20 years, no wonder they are avoiding the spotlight - who needs it?

LOL
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 16:40

BF:
Cool

Annie,

"LUCID CALM ALERTNESS" is a beautiful thing, isn't it? You put it so well in words. Too many years of my life were spent in that "off" and "fuzzy" state created by overdosing on bad carbs.

As for beans and lentils, enjoy them during your RM. I have and I have still lost steadily.

Best of luck,
Eliza

#21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 18:01

BF:

MAYBE the Hellers, in retirement, have several userids on various diet and low-carb messageboards? Maybe we're all interacting with some of their multiple IDs, but don't even know it? LOL !!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 18:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz

Annie,

....As for beans and lentils, enjoy them during your RM. I have and I have still lost steadily.

Best of luck,
Eliza

I had two cups of a chili "soup" concoction that was mainly meat & celery with a bit of onion & green peppers, and very few beans. I added plenty of chili powder and red pepper. I didn't trust myself to open a can of beans and only eat half or less, so what I did was to use one can of Hormel Chili with Beans, which is wheat free - and has quite a bit of hambuger in it, to which I added two cups more.

I suppose when I was following Atkins, I could have made it with JUST the meat, but frankly, I was craving the BEANS in the chili.

I really hit a stall with the Atkins, and it may just be that I have a true allergy to eggs, as today, by mistake, I used a tablespoon of mayonaisse in a tuna salad on lettuce - and had a similar "mini" reaction, as to when I'd eat an egg.

It's gonna be amazing if eliminating all eggs & all products containing any egg will have a beneficial impact.

I'm gonna be shocked if EGG is behind my personal version of fatigue & brainfog, LOL

It's really strange, come to think of it, that ALL humans are not given full allergy tests several times during their lifetime.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 13:17

BF:

Annie,

Too bad eggs seem not to agree with you . Especially when you are LCing. On the other hand you have pinpointed what is causing the reaction so you can avoid it. Eggs have been notorious for triggering allergies, but I admit I love them and eat them each day.

I hear you on the allergy thing. I used to have some hives and urticaria. Now they have transformed into angioedema - swelling of the mucous membranes under the lips, eyes, etc. For the life of me I cannot figure out what triggers it so I can avoid it. Apparently, some allergic reactions are delayed by 2-4 WEEKS! Weird!

I am desperate to find an answer and get off the Claritin I've been taking. Next, I am trying a treatment called NAET. Many have had success with it, but many also think it's weird. I will try it anyway.

Eliza

#24   ^
Old Sat, May-16-09, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/225/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 20%

Rachel Heller was dealing with a life threatening brain tumor a few years ago. She had undergone surgery and chemo. They said they were taking time "off"..

At least this is what was posted at the Yahoo group.

Might explain things