Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach
You would be better off without all that dairy.

This is the paleo area

I don't believe anyone can say paleolithic people didn't eat dairy
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestrange
heres a similar recipe to the icecream i bought: http://herestheveg.blogspot.com/200...lla-cashew.html

though, i would sub the maple syrup for raw honey and maybe some blended berries. it is soo creamy. great, now I'm craving ice cream and I'm not even the pregnant one here!

I have Vice Cream & the Uncheese Cookbook (I was vegan prior to my first pregnancy) There are SO many good recipes in there! Most of the recipes use a LOT of nuts, thus pretty expensive to make & extremely rich. There's a delicious cheesecake in the Uncheese Cookbook made with cashew nuts & millet. Sooo good!

I don't know how I'd recreate it sans grains, though. I'm so sensitive to them I haven't had the guts to experiment with gluten free grains, I just cut them all out fearing feeling like that again! I'm also out on even "all natural" sweeteners as I have a metabolic condition. Unfortunately I'm not just low carb because it's "cool" or "hardcore" I'm so envious of the people who can eat maple syrup. Oh how I want some real maple goodness on my pancakes!
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 10:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

Except... today, after a month of fixation, I made a chocolate layer cake with cream cheese frosting using This recipe. It was effing amazing, let me tell you! Actually, I made the basic batter, but I used cannalini [white] beans - as a long time beanconfection skeptic, I just couldn't ditch the disgusting image of black beans in a cake. For some reason white beans seemed more approachable.

That's interesting! I can definitely get behind the idea of black beans in a cake, other than the fact they're not paleo. They're dark and moist. I'd hate to find a partially intact white bean in my cake!

Gosh, I wish I'd made this cake for my nephew instead of buying the gluten free better crocker cake mix. (I didn't want gluten in my kitchen).
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 10:22

BF:

Hey gals! I made a new thread here & hope you ladies will come over so we can support each other without the unsolicited advice of very unpregnant men!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...102#post7881102

Hope I see you there!
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 240/137/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

a couple ideas (and I wish I knew about paleo with my pregnancies, my kiddo's got the high carb junk thing but at 5 and 7 are now pretty paleo/natural foods-I don't push it so they still eat cereal but they are both almost 100% gluten free, raw milk, pastured eggs, coconut oil and plenty of grass fed meat kiddo's)
if you want milk and are afraid of raw, why not pasteurize it yourself? That way you avoid homogenization and ultra-pasteurization, and you know your milk is grass fed and good, and can consume right away after pasteurization, limiting bad bug exposure-just a thought. I've made my own yoghurt and yoghurt cheese out of it. (I don't pasteurize our milk except for yoghurt)
I've made that black bean cake before, it's way good! I also like making a pumpkin cake out of ground up almonds and using coconut oil for the oil-majorly yummy and completely paleo although the honey does drive the carbs up a bit. Mmmmmm! *sigh* and I've sworn off all sweets except for fruit for 2 weeks cause I need to shed these 10 pounds........LOL
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 15:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
That's interesting! I can definitely get behind the idea of black beans in a cake, other than the fact they're not paleo. They're dark and moist. I'd hate to find a partially intact white bean in my cake!

Gosh, I wish I'd made this cake for my nephew instead of buying the gluten free better crocker cake mix. (I didn't want gluten in my kitchen).

That's so funny!! Aren't we supposed to be color blind or something? & "OMFG" - you blend the beans with the eggs in a blender!! I blended them FOREVER hoping to elliminate ANY type of bean texture - my blender actually got hot from going so long

SO "unpaleo" - yet OH SO delicious!

Anyway! Yes, thank you "hardcore" paleo public for all the "ideas" regarding what foods you feel I should and should not put in my own pregnant body!

I started my own thread that shall remain free of unsolicited advice in L/C Parenting & Pregnancy - women are welcome to come us in support of one another... but keep your advice to yourself!

Here's the link again: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...102#post7881102

Carry on with your very hardcore unpregnant paleo selves!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 17:31
Experimenter

BF:

Take a yoga class and see if you can barf up your pants legs. That story was soooo funny. I just had this image of you trying to barf politely in public, into your sweater sleeve.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 18:11

BF:

omg!
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 19:27

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

When I was preggers with my youngest (20 years ago) all I could keep down was fish, fruit, veggies and cheeses. It took months before I could eat chicken and beef again.

I came out of that pregnancy 20 pounds lighter then going into it.

Edited to add: I am glad my eyetest is at the end of August. I thought your plan said...pregnant and h*rny.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 21:13

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3splenda
I don't believe anyone can say paleolithic people didn't eat dairy
I can and will.

Quote:
Hey gals! I made a new thread here & hope you ladies will come over so we can support each other without the unsolicited advice of very unpregnant men!

Yeah, obviously guys know nothing about pregnancy and can't be allowed to comment in a public forum on the topic...

Quote:
Anyway! Yes, thank you "hardcore" paleo public for all the "ideas" regarding what foods you feel I should and should not put in my own pregnant body!
You are welcome.

If you are eating paleo it should be welcome advice. You can't expect anything different from posting in the paleo pregnancy thread.

I'm sorry if you lack the motivation to eat what you should whilst pregnant, instead of whatever you feel like.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 08:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I made cupcakes from this recipe for my daughter-in-law's baby show a month ago, and they tasted pretty darn good! My DiL is Chinese and they use beans a lot in the cooking of desserty-type things, so it was not at all odd to her.

The baby is due in about a week now so we are all counting down. My DiL got pregnant a month after switching to a Weston A. Price based diet after three years of trying. She and my son are not fully paleo and (dare I say it here? ) don't even buy into the total paleo way of eating. But they do eat lots of meats and bone broths and fruit, eggs, veggies,nuts, lacto-fermented stuff. But they also eat occasional brown rice and yams, and raw milk. My DiL has drunk raw milk throughout her pregnancy.

So far everyone looks and feels great. The baby is now about seven pounds, so my DiL says he he welcome to come into the world at any time now.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 14:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach
I can and will.

Oh yes - I know! You are the most hardcorest paleo guru! I've seen you on Mark's forums too - none of us hold a candle to your hardcorestness!

Quote:
Yeah, obviously guys know nothing about pregnancy and can't be allowed to comment in a public forum on the topic...

Comment away! Unfortunately I don't have any helpful suggestions on how to pee standing up, so I can't reciprocate in this gender-bending feat.

Quote:
If you are eating paleo it should be welcome advice. You can't expect anything different from posting in the paleo pregnancy thread.

I'm sorry if you lack the motivation to eat what you should whilst pregnant, instead of whatever you feel like.

I don't eat books, I eat food. I'm not some brainwashed follower, I actually have a brain that functions independantly of "some books and blogs I read that sound cool and stuff"

I am eating exactly what I should whist pregnant, but thanks for your concern!

I PROMISE that when I figure out how to travel back in time 3 million years as you clearly have, I'll definitely check out that Paleo-midwifery School that you attended!
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 14:59

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Oh yes - I know! You are the most hardcorest paleo guru! I've seen you on Mark's forums too - none of us hold a candle to your hardcorestness!

This is getting ridiculous. Why don't we have a nice mixed-gender discussion about Paleo pregnancy here. There is a separate thread for non-Paleo women-only discussion of pregnancy now.

Even the people here who do use dairy are not likely to say it was consumed in the Paleolithic era. I certainly wouldn't.

Quote:
I PROMISE that when I figure out how to travel back in time 3 million years as you clearly have, I'll definitely check out that Paleo-midwifery School that you attended!

Doubtless Centa is too embarrassed by Tarlach's mouthing off to comment here, but I'm sure she taught him a thing or two about pregnancy. How much of a discussion could we have here if we could only relate firsthand knowledge?
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 15:07
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Comment away! Unfortunately I don't have any helpful suggestions on how to pee standing up, so I can't reciprocate in this gender-bending feat.

I could do it...

Aim for the bowl.

That's my advice...

Oh yes, one more piece of advice, definitely influenced by my gender... put the dang seat down.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 16:05

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Let's not get nasty, folks. The thing is, being pregnant messes with everything: your hormones and your brain. It's not just a matter of doing what you think is right. You have an alien invasion in your body, and it takes over more than anyone who hasn't been pregnant can imagine. I think it's fine for men to comment, as long as they realize there is no arguing with a pregnant woman.