Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 11:36

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is a marvelous thread. I rarely get to the food section on this site -- dunno why.

I've never made bacon before, but now I'll try. I have a couple of smokers - one 'lectric and one charcoal.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 08:05

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Hi there! I hope we get to see pics! OMG it is too easy to make bacon I swear! and the results, well I can not even tell you

and you can just cure bacon and not smoke it you know make a maple cure then coat with pepper dry it well and you are good to go!

I just scored a buch of ground , lovingly, locally grown, 4H, decent fat ratio'd steer meat I want to try a fresh beef sausage with it and am not sure where to go

anyone have a suggestion?
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 10:56

I just used my last ham hocks time to make more

anyone want to try? I will post a step by step if you are intersted?

they are to die for and very easy to make!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 11:08

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I'd like to see your recipe, though I don't expect to make them anytime soon. Anyone else?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 21:05

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Well sure! I always like to see recipes even if I don't plan on making them. It's all a learning process and we never know what little tidbit will fit in somewhere else. That's why I read cookbooks in the living room and not in the kitchen!!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 11:46

Thumbs up corned beef? it is charcuterie :)

while my husband is off getting pork hocks

I figured I would cook a corned beef that is waiting for me in the freezer (I would call this charcuterie wouldn't you?)
Home Corned Beef AB's recipe

anyway I love this recipe have made it before several times and it is a safe bet for an awesome corned beef if you have never made it before! and if you have not made your own corned beef you are so missing out! Once you do it it will become a tradtion store bought is just not the same!

(unless you can get some in a Pacific Island market where they make it themselves ...that I can say is far better than my own!!! they buy from New Zealand and the cut is with some ribs attached TO DIE FOR!!! just a hint I stumbled on accidently in my bread eating days!I stopped to buy sweet bread and the guy handed me a free corned beef to "go home and cook this you will be back" this is a true story I almost fell on my face ..ran home cooked it and was forever changed!

but I digress it is still a fun project to make your own

you can leave the sugar out if you are very sensitive to it and while you will still have terrific results the texture is a little different. I have used molasses, maple syrup or honey as well as the brown sugar and left them entirely out ..the texture will still very good is much better with the sugar in the cure

this recipe does not at all make me cravey so if it retains any sugar at all I do not seem to notice it myself.

you still have plenty of time to do one before St Patricks day you know!

someone willing to try? I have a 9lber done already as I said I am going to cook it now because I can not wait. But it would be fun if someone would do one and post the adventure?

I can not wait
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 13:43

I bought juniper berries a while back so I could make the NT corned beef recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. If I ever do, I'll let you know!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 19:21

I just want to share a little

the last of my pickled green tomatoes and dill pickles all combined in the same jar they are still just wonderful! I made perfect tomatoes this year just like Jewish Deli style

right next to them is my beautiful jar of Capmikee's red cabbage kimchi
and below is my last batch of bacon

I like the skin cooked crispy then saved for slow simmer in soups and stews

I am persistent if nothing else and will wait patiently...bumping this thread with all my hard work in hopes I get to see what others will take on and try
I am so hoping someone does a corned beef for St Pats day mine smells pretty darn good right now

I have 12 fresh ham hocks and will put them in the brine tomorrow

keep you posted
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 19:24

LOL I just noticed the jar lid was from my Oregon trail sourdough (I let it pass away since I was not baking anymore and the temptation was way to much I love sourdough bread)

do these pictures look too large??? I shrunk them to medium on photobucket
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I bought juniper berries a while back so I could make the NT corned beef recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. If I ever do, I'll let you know!

I hope you do make one!
I love just a few juniper berries in braised lamb shanks, made with a little very good vinegar and whole peppercorns
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 22:37

Went to the butcher today and got my cow's foot! All the other bones are thawing out now, so I'll probably start the stock tomorrow. Now I'm worried that I forgot to get shanks...

I also got pig's feet on an impulse. I don't think I'll cure them, just boil them and eat them to find out what they're like this time. The butcher cut them up into serving-size pieces for me.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 07:48

sounds great Cap
I make pigs feet Caribbean style

boil them until they fall off the bone
then mix ACV with sliced sweet onions, allspice berries a bay leaf and some sliced scotch bonnet or habanero peppers just warm together do not boil then pour over the hot pigs feet (step back and protect your eyes!)

I love these warm but my husband eats them cold jelled and crunchy

also you can curry pigs feet

they bring me back to my childhood they are such a good and overlooked food

I can not wait to hear what you do with them you have to at least put an onion in!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 08:11

after I finish my ham hocks I am going to try to make a few tasso hams, so I can have it for gifts and gumbo it looks like a very easy ham just need boneless pork shoulders then a spicy dry brine ...then smoke the book says it is a very easy ham to make

and after that a Canadian bacon for sure

those are my two upcoming projects then a break from smoked meats.. as I should have enough to last quite a while!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 08:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Anyone have a recipe for making pancetta at home? I shouldnt be all that different from a bacon cure except no smoking.....also, there is a cut of pork that Mario Batalli uses that is from the jowl called something that I forget. Is that smoked? I just adore jaw bacon....but no smoker, alas.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 12:40

There's a pancetta recipe in Ruhlman & Polcyn. I've never tried it, though. I think there are more herbs or spices than in a bacon cure.

HiDelight, it sounds like I need to get allspice berries. One of the guys at the butcher's recommended them too.

What do you do with the broth from the pig's feet?