Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 17:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Who has these selective strands of yeast to ferment sour dough with? Scientists. As near as I can tell they're not available to consumers. Also, that bread was a low wheat bread to start with. Perhaps it does break down some of the gluten but I would be suspicious that it breaks down all of it.

I wish there were inexpensive home gluten testing kits.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 19:41

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

....A few weeks ago, my doctor phone me at 9 pm....scare the hell out of me.........said : I have a very Vitamin D Deficiency...gee...did not know nothing about it....did some searching but now I see this heres......and
wonder....am I too sensative to gluten..(gee).. all those years......Ha?...?..?....
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 09:22

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi there, picaboo,

I was diagnosed a few years ago with osteoporosis, especially of the spine - my femurs were great - which came as a shock to me because I was a huge dairy and green vegetable eater all my life; however, I came from a gloomy country and for the last thirty years, avoided the summer sun whenever possible. This meant that although I was getting enough calcium, I was not getting much vitamin D - or the vitamin D I did have was being leached away somehow.

When I read the post on gluten the other day, I decided to give gluten-free a try and I am starting today. I had some barley in soup yesterday - very little, but about an hour after, I started feeling tired and intensely craving carbs. This threw me off my sensible eating program. Normally, I would not have atttributed the problem to the barley as a possibility since I was told it was a very healthy thing for a diabetic to eat. However, after reading the posts in this thread, I made the connection - a possible connection anyway, and one I intend to investigate. My BG also leapt from 6.5 to 9.4 and then to 12.4 fasting this morning, which doesn't seem quite right for so little carb - so some other factor must be operating here.

Can so little gluten affect BG so dramatically ?
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 09:29

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 168/163/150 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

I suggest you go to the website sugarshock.com. There is a condition that is not diabetes but often preceeds diabetes. It is called reactive hypoglycemia. People with that metobolic disorder have a strange reaction to carbs. The bs will peak and drop so quickly that a standard finger stick doesn't catch it.

If you download the free book excerpt, you will get a list of over 40 symptoms attributed to the disorder.

I ordered the book, "Sugar Shock" for my stepdaughter. It is very educational, but has a lot of medical proofs and descriptions of how reactive glycemia actually impacts the body. In other words, if you want an in depth education about reactive hypoglycemia affects you, get the book.

What it doesn't tell you is how to actually break the carb craving that the disorder triggers, (which the book calls an addiction to sugar and sugar "like" foods). The way to break the addiction is the same way that you break any addiciton, stop feeding into it.

Astoish
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Januaria, when people have been gluten free for awhile they often find they have stronger reactions to gluten when they get exposed. Although it doesn't sound like you've actually been GF yet.

Dr. Davis, cardiologist, finds that wheat (perhaps it is any gluten grain?) increases the triglycerides in his patients particularly badly, and their small pattern LDL. And there's a link between triglycerides and blood sugar (both going high together). http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=wheat

But it also sounds like you should be sure to be on a good D3 supplement.

I posted this on wheat and osteoporosis a week or so ago: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=386873
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: modified paleolithic
Stats: 165/165/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonish
I suggest you go to the website sugarshock.com. There is a condition that is not diabetes but often preceeds diabetes. It is called reactive hypoglycemia. People with that metobolic disorder have a strange reaction to carbs. The bs will peak and drop so quickly that a standard finger stick doesn't catch it.

.......What it doesn't tell you is how to actually break the carb craving that the disorder triggers, (which the book calls an addiction to sugar and sugar "like" foods). The way to break the addiction is the same way that you break any addiciton, stop feeding into it.

Astoish

I submit that the overwhelming addiction of hypoglycemia and type 2 diabetes is caused by gluten. Again, gluten is a powerful opioid. In these diseases gluten or a gluten-assisted glycoprotein plugs into pancreas nerves. It stands to reason that a susceptible person would also be susceptible to the same opioid plugging into central nervous system nerves. This would vastly heighten the accompanying sugar addiction.

But even discounting that, gluten's effect on pancreas nerves initiates the sugar high you and your author are attributing solely to sugar ingestion. True, if the patient stops ingesting sugar, it quells the sugar high. But the patient would have to stop ingesting gluten to quell the sugar addiction.

#37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Vitamin D endocrine system and the genetic susceptibility to diabetes, obesity and vascular diseaseBut we have to be aware of the reasons why a susceptible person is susceptible and be prepared to alter those factors that are modifiable.

Vitamin D status is a modifiable factor as is the use of grains. I still think Stephan is probably right that if you really want to eat grain it's best fermented in a sourdough first. But the person with a fully charged Vitamin d status will have a reservoir of anti inflammatory agent throughout their digestive tract.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-08, 07:51

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 168/163/150 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

veggienfit, I have to agree with you. From personal experience. I would have never considered myself gluten intolerant. ( Irish ancestors, by the way). But, I have know that I am severely carb intolerant. Not so much sugar as grain, any kind of grain sends my bg soaring.

I feel so much better since giving up grain, that I would never consider adding it back into my diet. I consider it to be a poison to me. And my carb cravings have stopped.

I can eat some natural sweetness without triggering carb cravings, but I can't eat grain without getting cravings and feeling hunger shortly after eating them.

Astonish
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 18:23

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Hey Mom, u said you are taking Byetta,,,,,,,
Hvae you ever check the side effect of that...Please go tothe byetta web site get on ther formum, and read read read, you will find out that is what is making you feel so crappy. When you inject and eat carbs you feel awful. It is very strange med.
I had byetta sent to me, it sat in my frig, til I read up on it, and I threw it out.... I hope you start to look at the meds you are taking and not just the diet you are on, Please go to that website,
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 17:33

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienft
I submit that the overwhelming addiction of hypoglycemia and type 2 diabetes is caused by gluten. Again, gluten is a powerful opioid. In these diseases gluten or a gluten-assisted glycoprotein plugs into pancreas nerves. It stands to reason that a susceptible person would also be susceptible to the same opioid plugging into central nervous system nerves. This would vastly heighten the accompanying sugar addiction.

But even discounting that, gluten's effect on pancreas nerves initiates the sugar high you and your author are attributing solely to sugar ingestion. True, if the patient stops ingesting sugar, it quells the sugar high. But the patient would have to stop ingesting gluten to quell the sugar addiction.

Thanks for all the info, you seem to be well informed about this gluten problem.

Do you have a possible explanation on how you can develop GAD65 antibodies while consuming gluten and carbs? Could that disrupt your nervous system in such a manner that it causes psychiatric problems like neuroses, borderline syndrome or manic depressive disorders?

My understanding is that GAD65 antibodies are markers that will stick to a cell and then that cell will be recognized by the t-cells as malignant, leading to the destruction of it.

I've also read that, if I understood it well, GABA is a byproduct of GAD65 Abs or something in that line, and that those GABAs will disrupt the alpha cells, in such a manner that they won't be able to measure glucose levels correctly or at all.

My impression is that I have also this sensoring problem as well, since sometimes the glucose metabolism will work like a charm, no upwards movement while eating low carb in BGL and normal FBG (4%), then twice it was low for hours (3%) and nothing seemed to be corrected. I can be high at 6% at a baseline. I eat humunguous amounts of low carb food and the level will barely move upwards, it just rests there for hours <7%.

The most annoying thing is when I'm high at <7% and suddenly, in matters of minutes it drops to 4%. That can happen 3 to 4 hours after eating.

Plain weird, the only thing that is regular, is exercising, that one will always lower the BGL. And the FBG is usually between 4% to 5%

For the momet I only medicate with 2x500mg Bitter Gourd extract a day.