Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 05:21

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I lowered my blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides and lost weight by taking 500mg Berberine HCL (huang lian su) three times daily, as well as controlling my blood sugar.

In less than 6 months...

Blood pressure went from 135/85 down to 120/65...

Cholesterol went from near 300 to 135

Triglycerides over 200 down to 95

Weight loss of about 30 plus pounds

Blood glucose A1C from 5.6 to 5.1
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 14:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorisa
Could someone please reccomend a supplement regimine that would lower blood pressure and possibly improve cholesterol numbers? I need to get my doctor off my case and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt health-wise either. Please offer dosing suggestions if you can.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks guys!

You could also try looking at "THe Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth" by Jonny Bowden (he's pro LC, so don't worry, he won't recommend anything carby without mentioning that it's high in carbs).

These are some of the things he recommends:

exercise; stress reduction; celery, garlic and extra virgin olive oil.

CoQ10 is in there, plus a whole load of other stuff!!!

He doesn't mention potassium though.

I have also had lower blood pressure since LCing (from 130/80 to about 110 over 60 - sometimes I think it has gone too low lately as I occasionally noticed dizziness when I stood up).

I also take Wobenzym, which is a systemic enzyme formula, which amongst other things contains a natural blood thinner (rutin). I think that brought my BP down a wee bit more.

But the Bowden book is definitely a good one to have. CoQ10 is one of my favourites and I am interested in this stuff about the Ubiquinol.

amanda
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 14:34

Plan: none
Stats: 158/151/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default reaching out!

By doing a google search I found this thread. I am 50 years old and my dr has me scared. I was on crestor and it caused the bad muscle pains, I even had pain in my heart, it felt like someone reached inside my chest and squeezed my heart!!....well I was taken off of it and will never go back on a statin again (was on Lipitor before it and had problems too).

My total cholesterol is 284, all levels are offff, bad choles. is 200, my BP is 153/94 I have never had high BP, but yesterday this is what the dr found (he wants me to have a echo).....well I told him I wanted a script for Lovaza (a friend told me about it) you take 4 and it's like taking 16 over the counter fish oil pills, he gave me the script then he wrote up a list of stuff he wants me to get from a health food store:
Red Rice Yeast
Flax seed
evening primrose oil
Black conosn
Soy
(Some of these are to help me with my low estrogen level)

My question to you all what else should I try, now keep in mind I have not yet bought the health food store stuff and I'm sure it's going to cost me, but if there is anything else I should buy let me know. If it was up to me I would not buy or take anything but since my dad has had the worst heart problems and knowing what he has had to go through for many years I just don't want to go down that road, ever! Much was mentioned here, like Berberine, CoQ10, Ubiquinol, Potassium, and Vit. D, should I try any of them too??

To be honest I am a women that stays away from meds, I hate to take em and feel healthy 99% of the time, I never get colds or any sickness. I don't smoke, don't drink, I eat good and stay away from anything with choles. and high fat. I am about 10lbs over weight, I have slowed down a little, oh and I am having short term memory lost problems....tis so freaken fun getting old, NOT!

Thanks in advance for all additional info and I wish for all of you to be healthy and happy!!! ~Linda
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 15:24

This is a list of foods and supplements that have evidence of lowering cholesterol: (not a conclusive list)

Foods

Almonds - Apples - Apricots - Barley - Beans - Blackberries - Broccoli - Brussel sprouts - Citrus fruits - Dates - Extra Virgin Oil (1 tbs daily) - Figs - Garlic - Grapefruit - Lentils - Oat bran - Oatmeal - Oranges - Pears - Peas - Prunes - Raisins -Rice bran - Strawberries - Sweet Potato - Walnuts

Supplements

Aspirin (80mg twice daily) - Beta-Sistosterol - Curcumin - Green Tea - Guggul - Licorice Extract - Pantethine - Policosanol - Psyllium - Vitamin C - Berberine HCL - Vitamin E - Niacin - Fish Oil w/omega 3

-------------------------------------------------------------

Myself, personally, I eat from the above foods in abundance.

I also use daily supplements as follows:

Baby Aspirin 78mg - 1 time
Berberine hcl 500mg - 3 times
Niacin 500mg - 1 time
Fish Oil w/omega 3 1g - 2 times
Vitamin C 1g - 2 times
Vitamin E 400iu - 1 time
Green Tea - 1 or 2 glasses

------------------------------------------

This did the trick for me, but it took a lot of experimenting to get to that point. Also, I wouldn't panic over a Cholesterol count of 284, unless there's been a heart attack. Good luck to you in your choosing "Your right path".....
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 16:20

BF:

Thank you Cajunboy, I appreciate you taking the time to list what you are taking and what has worked for you. I'm so happy to know others are able to fight off High Choles. and HB naturally!! I'm not on any of what you listed except the fish oil pills, I will be buying what my DR listed and some of the other supplements you have listed too.

For the past 20 years I have only drank water and lately been making fresh lemon aid with a little raw sugar, I may try that green tea. Does green tea have caffeine, I can't handle it very well. Oh and can I just take a daily multi vitamin instead of individual vitamins?

My Dr. seems to think 284 is high and he's really on my case, saying I am at high risk for a stroke of heart attack, oh and that it is not what I eat it is inherited. I am only taking him serous because of my dad, I think I have his genes. Thanks~Linda
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginee
My total cholesterol is 284, all levels are offff, bad choles. is 200, my BP is 153/94 I have never had high BP, but yesterday this is what the dr found (he wants me to have a echo).....well I told him I wanted a script for Lovaza . . .

Linda - welcome to the forum! I'm glad your Google search led you here, even if you didn't come for weight/body fat loss.

Here is the best advice I can give you: before doing anything, or taking any supplements - get educated about the best way to eat for the rest of your life that will make you healthy and keep you there.

But be prepared to learn that everything you've ever been told about diet, nutrition and health is not only wrong, it's 180 degrees from correct.

Most of us on the forum not only DON'T shy away from high fat foods - our daily diet is composed of between 60-80% fat, and between 5-10% carbohydrate --- the very opposite, I suspect, of how you eat. Yet this WOE will lower your BP AND give you great lipid panel results.

Here are a few books you can look up at your library, and/or Amazon - and the first one is a MUST, IMO:

-- Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
-- Anything by Barry Groves
-- Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution

Prepare to be amazed by what you learn.

Lisa
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 18:52

Arrow

Referenced website:

http://www.japanesegreenteaonline.com/faq3.htm

Green tea caffeine content and information

Yes, green tea does contain caffeine. Content varies by the amount of tea used and the length of time the leaves are infused. All things being equal here is a breakdown of the caffeine content of green tea:

Percentage of caffeine in the following beverages:
Coffee- 0.05%
Black tea- 0.05%
Gyokuro- 0.02%
Sencha- 0.015%
Hoji cha- 0.008%
Genmai cha- 0.008%

Green Tea has four important constituents that all work together, caffeine, tannin, essential oils and vitamins. Many people may be surprised to hear that caffeine can actually be beneficial when taken in tea as it works slightly differently from the caffeine in coffee. The good news is caffeine in tea can stimulate the circulation and metabolism via the central nervous system. As more oxygen is pumped to the brain, mental powers are heightened, reactions speed up and muscle function improves.

The tannin in the Green Tea works alongside the caffeine, having a relaxing and stabilising effect. This means the caffeine is absorbed more slowly and prevents that "caffeine shock" we all know too well from coffee.

Green tea contains L-theanine. L-theanine is a healthy amino acid that is only found in tea plants and certain mushrooms. L-theanine directly stimulates the production of alpha brain waves which promotes a state of relaxed awareness, it has a calming effect on the body without making one drowsy.

"There is a way of naturally removing caffeine and preserving the health benefits. Steep the tea for 45 seconds in hot water and then pour off the liquid. Next, add more hot water and steep as you normally would to brew a cup of that tea. Up to 80 percent of the caffeine is released in the first infusion of water so only minimal amounts will remain when you add water the second time. This method eliminates very little of the tea’s flavor and aroma."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamins, minerals, amino acids and herbs taken in too low of a dosage is the same as not taking anything in my opinion. Through research and experimenting with high and low dosages, I came up with what I listed.

For a point of reference: In addition to the supplements I mentioned in a prior post, I also take a multi-vitamin. Multi-vitamins don't have sufficient amounts of the vitamins needed to control high cholesterol levels.

Walking for 30 minutes 1 to 3 times a day will do wonders also in lowering cholesterol levels. Probably food choices and exercise is 80% of the control....................

In the end, I'm offering my experience to you and you ultimately have to make your own decisions.

Example: In the last post, it was mentioned 5% to 10% carbs and 60% to 80% fats in the diet of a low carb dieter. I used to do that and it did nothing special for me. I do fine with 35% carbs, 50% fat and 15% protein. We'll all get different results because we eat differently, different activity, different rest and sleep cylces, climates, etc.... Experimenting and monitoring your results is key to gaining control of your overall health.

I'm not saying the other poster was wrong on percentages, we must all find what works for us. Low carb varies from 1% to 40% in my opinion. I've come to believe, based on my experiences that for me consuming more than 15% protein causes problems for me, but for many up to 30% protein seems to work ok.

A starting point might be considering a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to proteins and adjust from there. Experimenting and monitoring will let you know what works and what you can live with........

Ron

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Wed, Dec-10-08 at 18:58.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 21:19

BF:

Awriter(Lisa) I thank you for that information. I have never been into diets, never been on them or read about them until last year. I wanted to lose 15lbs, I researched the net and found and joined a calorie counter site (not to count) to learn about foods, calories and what to eat and what not to eat. I loved learning and lost 14 lbs over several months. Now mind ya I never was into junk food, fast food, crap, I LOVE fruits, LOVE vegs and all healthy fooods like fish and chicken. Oh and I cut fat out of my diet on my own (but not all of it), and I do on occasion eat bad fooods which has put 3 lbs back on me.

Cajunboy (Ron) thank you so much for this info, I always wanted to know more about the caffeine in green tea!! I know the tea is great for you but have been scared to get into drinking it because of the caffeine. I will use the way you sugested to remove the caffeine and starting tomorrow will have my first cup! Also thank you for the info on the vitamins, you are a world of great information and I thank you. I pray I can get my cholesterol and BP down and live another 50 years Basically my philosophy is I live to learn and learn by living and try to enjoy life always. Can't wait to try the tea! Take care~Linda

I wanted to add I was walking each day all year long and only recently got lazy, yesterday I started to walk again, I live in upstate ny and it's freaken cold out there but I know I need to walk and get fresh air! Oh and the reason I am afraid to take anything with caffeine is because of a 3 day long panic attack many many years ago, I had accidently drank a tall glass of caffeined ice tea, I spent days in the hospital and had to be put on meds for the first time in my life....so I stay clear of it and have complete control over my panic disorder.

Last edited by Imaginee : Wed, Dec-10-08 at 21:36.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 02:51

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginee
My Dr. seems to think 284 is high and he's really on my case, saying I am at high risk for a stroke of heart attack, oh and that it is not what I eat it is inherited. I am only taking him serous because of my dad, I think I have his genes. Thanks~Linda

You could also look up anything on the web you find that features Dr Malcolm Kendrick talking about cholesterol. I think he's on Youtube somewhere, too.

One instant take-home message you learn when you read about cholesterol (like in "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Malcolm Kendrick) is that high cholesterol levels are associated with longevity in women. A lot of medical research has taken studies done on men and then assumed that this will be true for women, too, but in many cases, especially anything cardio-related, this is simply wrong.

Women don't need statins. Women don't need to worry about high cholesterol. But the best thing you can do - to echo others - is to continue with your research and educate yourself. Soon you will know more than your doctor about certain things - and that is a very liberating and empowering experience, at least it has been for me when confronted by paediatricians advising all sorts of things. I just say "Yeah, yeah" and feel confident that I know what is best for me and my kids for the everyday things in life, at least.

Happy Reading!

amanda
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:

health food store:
Red Rice Yeast
If you had trouble with statins AVOID red yeast rice. The side effects are the same. If the definition of good health is feeling good and being able to function we don't need a doc to tell us we are sick.
be well
Art
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by artp3377
health food store:
Red Rice Yeast
If you had trouble with statins AVOID red yeast rice. The side effects are the same. If the definition of good health is feeling good and being able to function we don't need a doc to tell us we are sick.
be well
Art

Well said; but I think Red rice yeast should be avoided in all cases, because it is a statin (a naturual one, but one all the same).... That is just my opinion, of course...
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 09:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree, it *IS* a statin.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 09:31
Experimenter

BF:

Imaginee, changing your diet is really important but not in the way most doctors and nutritionistas will tell you. You really need to think about how our ancestors before agriculture ate: Meat, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, nuts. Dairy... well, personally I'm healthier without it but some people find it is too tough to give up.

Anyway, a "Paleo" diet will make you healthy with great lipids. And by "great" I don't mean low, I mean the type will be good. High HDL, low triglycerides, large pattern LDL.

You might also want to learn about real risk factors for heart disease and the best place to do that is at the Heart Scan Blog. A cardiologist changed his business from doing bypasses to actually preventing disease, and accurately assessing people's risk. I'd recommend reading the blog from the beginning, it'll give you great information.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com

But basically the typical cholesterol test tells you nothing useful about your risk, except triglycerides and HDL. The LDL is totally useless information. What you need to know about LDL is the size of the particles. If your triglycerides are low then you can pretty much rest assured that your LDL particle size is large pattern. But if you're eating a lot of carbohydrates, especially grains, you're likely to have small, dense LDL which *is* dangerous.

Anyway, read up at Dr. Davis's site. It is all very interesting. And stay FAR away from statins!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 11:29

Posted by NancyLC
Quote:
You really need to think about how our ancestors before agriculture ate: Meat, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, nuts. Dairy... well, personally I'm healthier without it but some people find it is too tough to give up.

Anyway, a "Paleo" diet will make you healthy with great lipids.

I'm now having plans drawn to build a cave in the mountains, so I can live the "Paleo" lifestyle to the fullest. I'll hunt my meat, fish for my seafoods and scour the wilderness for my plant based foods.... :lol..........

Seriously, we really all think too much in my opinion. My wife taught me; just eat real food, rest when I'm tired, get in enough activity each day so as too slow down the processes of aging so that I can live an active healthful lifestyle for as long as possible.

These are all things we should do instinctively, but we have so many influences in our society and we receive a lot of misinformation to scare us into thinking there is some magic formula that eludes us, or some medical treatment that is better then what we can do for ourselves. We get to where we think there is some complicated answer out there to achieve better health.

The truth, in my opinion, which is faith based, is that the real answers for our achieving health will be very simple. Only in our minds does it get complicated.

In my opinion, we need to stop thinking so much and just start eating instinctively the things that we know are good for our health. I met the enemy and it was me! sorry for getting off subject, if that is what I did.....
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 12:36
Experimenter

BF:

"Laugh while you can, Monkey-boy" (Quote from the great cult classic, Buckaroo Banzai). There are a lot of folks on this forum who find paleo a very simple diet to follow and who are thankful they found it for a variety of reasons, usually having to do with health.

Anyway, I don't want to dilute the poster's questions with a totally irrelevant argument about which diet to adopt. As long as it isn't the SAD she's probably far better off than 99.5% of the people.