Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 15:02

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

My question is, if your a vegan how do you stay full? If I dont eat meat with each meal and at snack, I'm hungry shortly after.

Do they graze all day? Were not horses, were not sapposed to eat all day long. We would never get anything done. Just like most horses left to there natural environment. They eat and swat flies, all day, every day. I dont recall doing that.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 17:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I don't see how anyone could get enough calories by eating vegan without having processed foods available. Before agriculture, you would have had to be very lucky and live in a nut tree oasis.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-08, 18:18

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Cannibalism Normal For Early Humans?

Fried human, barbecued human, broiled human, raw human…were these items on the menu of the day for our prehistoric ancestors? Quite possibly, according to genetic researchers.

Scientists from England, Australia, and Papua New Guinea say that cannibalism is the most likely explanation for their discovery that genes protecting against brain diseases that can be contracted by eating contaminated flesh have long been spread throughout the world.

A growing body of evidence, such as piles of human bones with clear signs of human butchery, suggests cannibalism was widespread among ancient cultures. The discovery of this genetic resistance, which shows signs of having spread as a result of natural selection, supports the physical evidence for cannibalism, say the scientists.

Piles of smashed and burnt human bones can often be found on the places where Neanderthal men used to stay. The bones are probably the remains of enemies that prehistoric humans killed and ate.

Source: (National Geographic News)

The above reminds me of the two cannibals eating dinner when one remarks: "I really hate my sister."

The other replies: "Well, just eat the noodles."

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Dec-11-08 at 19:52.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 00:09

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
Cannibalism Normal For Early Humans?

Fried human, barbecued human, broiled human, raw human…were these items on the menu of the day for our prehistoric ancestors? Quite possibly, according to genetic researchers.

Scientists from England, Australia, and Papua New Guinea say that cannibalism is the most likely explanation for their discovery that genes protecting against brain diseases that can be contracted by eating contaminated flesh have long been spread throughout the world.

A growing body of evidence, such as piles of human bones with clear signs of human butchery, suggests cannibalism was widespread among ancient cultures. The discovery of this genetic resistance, which shows signs of having spread as a result of natural selection, supports the physical evidence for cannibalism, say the scientists.

Piles of smashed and burnt human bones can often be found on the places where Neanderthal men used to stay. The bones are probably the remains of enemies that prehistoric humans killed and ate.

Source: (National Geographic News)

The above reminds me of the two cannibals eating dinner when one remarks: "I really hate my sister."

The other replies: "Well, just eat the noodles."

Bo

Then apparently we aren't biologically vegan then, are we? We're opportunistic. Not much has changed....
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 03:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/114.4/100 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
My question is, if your a vegan how do you stay full? If I dont eat meat with each meal and at snack, I'm hungry shortly after.

Do they graze all day? Were not horses, were not sapposed to eat all day long. We would never get anything done. Just like most horses left to there natural environment. They eat and swat flies, all day, every day. I dont recall doing that.

I was vegan and suffered the consequences.

How do you stay full? Well you don't really... unless you're stuffing yourself with carbs constantly. I was eating my own body weight in fruits - it was insane. I ate loads of veggies too but also unfortunately too many grains... the result was horrendous IBS, but hey - it's a healthy diet isn't it? Or so I believed at the time.

Protein sources aren't great - you've got soya products etc and nuts if you can tolerate them. Of course there's also beans (which I consumed a lot of at the time - again IBS... not good).

I don't think this kind of diet is suitable for anyone but if people want to do it then fair enough - it's their body.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 08:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oddly enough this site beyondveg.com is run by a vegetarian (or vegan, I forget) who takes a critical look at the stuff people believe in regarding raw foods, veganism and so on.

This part in particular Looking at Ape Diets--Myths, Realities, and Rationalizations
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
Then apparently we aren't biologically vegan then, are we?

Neu5Gc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bo
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 17:34

Quote:
Neu5Gc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*sigh* Isn't that only in beef? So, chickens, pigs, lamb are all part of a vegan diet? I didn't say red meat because I think people would be red meat. I don't know actually. I've never seen a human flank cooked...

And, perhaps the Neu5Gc is from tumors the animal that was butchered had. I've seen some nasty stuff in that regard. Of course, we feed them each other, that could cause some problems too don't ya think?

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Sat, Dec-13-08 at 17:46.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 19:02

Quote:
*sigh* Isn't that only in beef? So, chickens, pigs, lamb are all part of a vegan diet? I didn't say red meat because I think people would be red meat. I don't know actually. I've never seen a human flank cooked...

And, perhaps the Neu5Gc is from tumors the animal that was butchered had. I've seen some nasty stuff in that regard. Of course, we feed them each other, that could cause some problems too don't ya think?

Actually, Neu5Gc is found in large amounts in beef, pork, lamb and milk products. Seafood and poultry are safe to consume.

Perhaps this means we are biologically semi-vegan?

The molecule is indeed found in elevated amounts in tumors. The theory is that the tumors somehow benefit from it, so they attract it.

One thing is obvious, for optimal health, limit your red meat consumption!!

After all, there's plenty of evidence it’s bad for us. We somehow have difficulty letting our world's increased rates of cancer, heart and other chronic diseases get in the way of our appetite for steak, pork, dairy and other Neu5Gc laden pleasures.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sat, Dec-13-08 at 20:57. Reason: goofed
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 20:26

On another note
M Levac (you don't have a journal, so I'm asking here)

Quote:
Our digestive system is akin to that of a big cat. It's not, for instance, like that of a cow. Indeed, as we eat more and more carbohydrates, our organs grow bigger. They grow bigger because they are not of the appropriate size to begin with to deal with carbohydrates. Thus the contention that our digestive system is adapted to a carbohydrates diet is refuted. If it was adapted to carbs, it wouldn't grow bigger. Instead, it would already be the appropriate size.
Is there a site that I can read more about this? I've never heard that before. And what organs get bigger? Our stomach, I'm sure. But, liver? Kidneys? I have tried to google, but I'm just getting anatomy or the RDA of carbohydrates.

TIA
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 20:39

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Quote:
Is there a site that I can read more about this? I've never heard that before. And what organs get bigger? Our stomach, I'm sure. But, liver? Kidneys? I have tried to google, but I'm just getting anatomy or the RDA of carbohydrates.

TIA

Ok, I can't find anything after a 5-min google, but I know I read somewhere that Asian populations in general have larger pancreases due to the increased need for pancreatic amylase due to their high-rice diet. Maybe that can help get you started to find more info?
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 23:14

I did find this , but it's more discussing muscle growth. Personally I tend to think of an organ as like, your liver. I did find one about steers and how feeding them different did increase their organ size/weight. But, they are vegetarians, and they were being fed pelleted feed, which isn't what they would eat ideally.. Googling on..
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 23:17

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
One thing is obvious, for optimal health, limit your red meat consumption!!

The more I read, the less "obvious" this is becoming.

I've made mention in another thread that I've been reading Stefansson's "My Life With The Eskimo" for the past few days and something is very plain in these pages - the need for meat and fat. There is page after page of the Eskimo searching for the fattiest animals and included a large portion of read meat - including, but not limited to, caribou, polar bear, wolf, wolverine, etc. They do very occasionally dine on poultry by eating Ptarmigan, however this is more of a starvation food when they can't find red meat or a seal or a whale.. and even then will pick fish over the bird.

They have also talked about berries, and while I can't find the page right now to give you a direct quote (but I will search for it if you are interested), when he asked of the Eskimo why they were not eating the berries that were nearby, they replied that they didn't consider them food. There is apparently a root they dine on occasionally called the macu root (or polygonum bistontum), however only the "civilized" (read: have had contact with 'white men') Eskimo use it extensively, while the "uncivilized" do not... see here:

Quote:
These roots form on the mainland the chief food of the marmot and the grizzly bear, both of which are absent from Victoria Island. All Eskimo known to me use this root as food - the Alaskans extensively, but the Victorians to a negligible extent only.

The obvious answer to this is always "inuit lifespan is short". I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that on face value, but after reading a few things have occurred to me.

1. The life expectancy rates that we keep digging up seem to be from newer sources as there really was no way to track mortality rates pre-'white man' intervention, which is also when their diet changed substantially.

2. The average lifespan would be lower due to infant mortality rates and "child accident rates" (see below) along with, in my estimation, adult accident rates. These things were also explained in Stefansson's book when he went into detail about one tribe's superstitions and how a man gave him a present (I believe it was a pair of pants) and in return Stefansson should "think well" for all the births and hunts in the next year. If game was scarce, starving to death was not uncommon. He also described the difficulty in catching a bearded seal and went into detail about one particular event where an Eskimo almost lost his life trying to harpoon the seal. He also went into detail about how he was almost killed himself when trying to take down a polar bear and how, if proper precautions are not taken, one can easily die of exposure, hunting on a mountain, walking on thin ice, etc. In this case, saying the Inuit have a shorter life expectancy due to eating meat is like the medical study we all dismissed reporting those who ate 7 eggs per week have a higher all cause mortality. Eating an egg doesn't make you walk in front of a bus any more than eating meat makes you fall into the water under thin ice.

Data here from 1993-4, which is long after westernization.
Quote:
The data are largely based on the 1993-4 Greenland health interview study. [...] Average life expectancy at birth for Greenland Inuit men is only 60.3 years, compared with Scotland's 72.5. Some, but by no means all, of this discrepancy is accounted for by much higher infant mortality (26/1000) and child accident rates.
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/318/7176/133

3. We also brought tuberculosis to the Inuit through not only bacterial means, but in the way we changed their housing. It has been described in the book that when the Eskimo left their westernized dwellings and spent the winter in their native housing, the tuberculosis stopped spreading due to appropriate ventilation and hygienic conditions for the climate. By spreading tuberculosis we not only killed off large populations of the Eskimo, but we also lowered figures in their life expectancy for that time period.

4. This, I think, is the biggest issue. We (in general) keep referring to the Inuit as if they are "one people" without realizing the separate tribes are as different from one another as say New Yorkers are from someone living in Kansas. Sure, we're both Americans, but with vastly different lifestyles based on what we are exposed to. By the book, the Mackenzie Eskimo (surrounding the Mackenzie River and on the western part of the Arctic) have a vastly different lifestyle than the Victoria Island Eskimo because the Mackenzie Eskimo had much dealing with the explorers, whalers and were therefore far more westernized - to the point of being turned christian by missionaries, considering potatoes food, not wanting to travel without tobacco, etc. So if you were to say "the life expectancy for the Inuit is __ years" it would, IMO, be misleading.

5. Here, though, is the one thing I can tell you. He does have discussions in the book of older members of the tribes and in two particular cases (there may be more... I'm only 3/4 through the book) he provided pictures of them. These two, by age given at certain time periods and knowing when the book what written, can be put easily in their 70s. Looking at the pictures of them, the thought has crossed my mind that I hope I look that young and that strong when I am in my 70s. Compared to the people I see today who are that age, there really isn't a comparison. [ETA: These two with pictures are from the 'uncivilized' populations of Inuit.]

So, in my estimation, if people who have an absolute need to be the strongest and healthiest they could possibly be (because if they are not it basically means certain death) do it with a large portion of red meat in their diet, I certainly don't see how it is "obvious" that one should limit red meat consumption.

Last edited by anyway... : Sat, Dec-13-08 at 23:56.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 13:02

Anyway,

Thanks for the above info.

Much appreciated.

Bo
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 13:10

And maybe, like another poster said, it's as simple as Neu5Gc is a glucose. Cancer feeds on glucose. It could be irrelevant that we don't produce it.