Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 10:58

Plan: VLC
Stats: 212.2/203.2/140.0 Female 69 inches
BF:41%/41%/23%
Progress: 12%

Hi, just wanted to add my $0.02 here (just returned to the Forum after a 2-year absence).

Last fall I was suffering terrible hot flashes -- 20, 30 a day and waking up multiple times at night. I, too, was fighting hormone therapy -- with a strong incidence of breast cancer in my family, I just didn't want to go there.

So after a lot of on-line research and consultation with my physician, I started on Black Cohosh -- 1 caplet (540 mg) in the AM and one in the PM. After two weeks of sticking religiously to this regimen, I was completely flash-free. In January I developed a skin rash and stopped taking the Black Cohosh for about a week -- within 4 days, the flashes returned. Once I confirmed that the skin rash was due to a new brand of soap, I returned to the Black Cohosh and I will STAY on it until this menopause crap ends.

Some tips: staying away from alcohol is EXTREMELY important for me. If I have more than 2 glasses of wine, the flashes start again. Also -- sticking religously to 2 caplets a day is very important. I actually have my computer set up to send me email reminders every morning and evening so I never forget.

FreyaAZ
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 12:57
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested. I did a little research on black cohosh myself a little while back, and ruled it out after reading several sites listing "weight gain" (YIKES) as a possible side effect.
Can you comment on your experience with black cohosh and weight loss issues?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

I never heard of weight gain associated with black cohosh.:
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_black_cohosh.htm

Black cohosh is also anti-inflammatory, it helps with joint pain.

I had good results with vitex extract and sage herb tea (made from dried garden sage). Also organic rose petal tea, very cooling and good for the whole system.

Susun Weed recommends some "cooling" herbs for herbal tea infusions: elderflower, chickweed, violet leaf.

Chickweed is also a traditional remedy for obesity.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 12:31

Plan: VLC
Stats: 212.2/203.2/140.0 Female 69 inches
BF:41%/41%/23%
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Thanks for posting this. I am very interested. I did a little research on black cohosh myself a little while back, and ruled it out after reading several sites listing "weight gain" (YIKES) as a possible side effect.
Can you comment on your experience with black cohosh and weight loss issues?

Hi MizKitty, I didn't have any issues with weight gain or puffiness. I had also read those warnings about weight gain -- but really didn't experience anything out of the ordinary (I wasn't LCing last fall and winter, just re-started this WOE last week -- so any weight gain was probably because I was eating like a little piggy -- LOL).

I DID check with my doctor before starting this -- luckily, I have an open-minded physician who knew how much I was suffering with the hot flashes. I also have a close friend who is a naturopath and she uses Black Cohosh to treat a range of ailments in her patients.

Best of luck. And keep me posted if you DO try it -- I have often wondered if Black Cohosh is a miracle cure for all or if I just got lucky.

FreyaAZ
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 07:33

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/200.7/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Bumping this up a bit to see if anyone can add to what is already here.

I am on medroxyprogesterone one pill a day for ten days, then none for 20, then back on again. Grand total of one extremely heavy TOM, now nothing for 55 days. I have been going months and months without Aunt Flo for almost two years. Hot flashes were terrible, then went away. Now they are back with a vengeance (since I started the pills, but also much worse since I started this WOE- probably because of the diet cokes).

I'm 49. I don't mind being done with it but I would like to get out of this "process".

Has anyone had experience with medroxyprogesterone? How about black cohosh- someone said below that it causes weigh GAIN. Thoughts? Any better hormone supplement since this is clearly not working?

Thanks in advance .
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 12:39
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Hi Wagsmarie,
medroxyprogesterone is a steroidal synthetic progestin. It was one of the drugs being used in the Women's Health Initiative study that was prematurely terminated when previously-unexpected risks were discovered.
Last July, after a year of miserable hot flashes, trouble sleeping, and unstoppable weight gain, I found a new doctor who prescribed bioidentical estrogen (estradiol) for me, and things started to change. Now, it's not advised to take estrogen unopposed (meaning w/o progesterone) but he had me do it that way so it could be determined if it was helping with the hot flashes, and the dosage needed. It started working after about 2 months and one bump up in dosage. Hot flashes stopped! This past january, he added bioidentical progesterone (prometrium) 14 days out of each month, and that's when things REALLY improved. Along with no hot flashes, my sleep went from bad to great, along with my libido, mood, energy...AAAND... most important of all...I was finally able to lose weight again. After 4 years of no ability to stop the weight gain no matter what I did, I've now lost 55 pounds since January 6! I don't know if its the BHRT or just getting to the other side of menopause, but it feels like a miracle to me.
You should really look into BHRT and get off the synthetic stuff. Suzanne Somers book "Ageless" is a great read. Here's a really excellent and interesting article written by a woman doctor who talks about her own experience and journey to educate herself on the misinformation out there, I urge any woman over 45 reading this thread to read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/m...gewanted=1&_r=1
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 07:36

BF:

Thank you so much for that, MizKitty. Again- so much conflicting advice, but it's pretty clear I should NOT be on this medroxyprogesterone. The H with it anyway as it is not working. The hot flashes have been so much worse since I started LCHF- have to be honest. It could be the WOE but it could also be, as I mentioned, higher caffiene intake as it relates to total amount of intake, and also the crazy allergies I've been having lately. It's a very bad year for grass pollens where I live, and I can't distinguish between a hot flash and a histamine response after a while. And yes, I'm taking allergy meds. Everyone is dying with allergies right now . The caffeine seems to be the only way to keep ahead of the grogginess from the Zyrtec, etc.

My OBGYN did mention Estradiol cream and I have a call in to her. We'll see. I don't mind taking nothing. I have noticed that since I started the medroxyprogesterone the hair on my face now needs daily tweezing and a few other things. Again- the pills? Who knows.

Thank you for your help- again.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 12:35

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Progesterone counters estrogen, so if your problem is not enough estrogen due to meopause, all it's doing is making it worse.

Also, part of the issues with low estrogen are actually brain issues, which is why black cohash works for some. It actually affects the serotonin, which yes, can cause weight gain for some people. For others, like me, it makes me very tired.

Estroven contains soy isoflavones which acts just like estrogens and would not be considerded a non-hormonal therapy. A natural therapy though.

Extreme low carb dieting can also make this worse for some people. If you're one of those people who never felt good, never felt that energy burst etc that others get on Atkins, then it will probably affect you adversely menopause-wise. I'd suggest adding in some extra carbs in the forms of more vegs.

What I've found makes it worse is: dairy, sugars (even some fruit), alcohol, coffee (even decaf), stress, gluten products
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 15:28

BF:

I struck a compromise and agreed to go on the prometrium once every three months for 2 rounds and then get retested.. I still have some estrogen. I've been taking it for three days and am going to commit a homicide if I don't fall asleep first. My weight shot up again.

If I go dairy free WTH am I going to put in my coffee?
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-12, 14:10
Bookworm

Plan: LC SCD 18/6
Stats: 178/154/133 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaAZ
Some tips: staying away from alcohol is EXTREMELY important for me. If I have more than 2 glasses of wine, the flashes start again.

I've been following this thread with interest as i have been trying to avoid HRT (my mum had a bad time with it).

Found this comment really interesting as during the last 5 weeks i've had some timeout and been drinking 2 to 3 glasses of wine a night - flashes returned and most nights i was waking up periodically, drenched with sweat. I haven't had a drink since last Friday and am also now back in ketosis and yes, no more hot flashes. I find that when i'm in ketosis i never have hot flashes.

#41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 08:42

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I've tried a product called Estrovera. It's a rhubarb extract. I've been on it a week or so and it's really helped. I'm not being kept up all night and just have a very minor flash once in a while. I can't believe I can sleep six hours straight, and I don't have to take an ice pack to bed with me. My compounding pharmacy suggested it for me. You can check it out on Amazon.
I also added Red Raspberry Leaf but haven't been that consistent. I can't take black cohosh because of my thyroid issues and it seems it's in all the OTC remedies. I hope this continues to work for me. I'll let you know. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by lizzyLC : Sun, Jun-24-12 at 08:48.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 10:12

BF:

The Estrovera has lost it's powers. I'm going to keep taking it but wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any ideas. In my case it has to be soy-free and not contain black cohosh. Thanks.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 14:12
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

The only fear I have about the bioidentical hormone replacement I am on, is someone will take it away!

Here's a great article comparing HRT (scary) to BHRT (lifesaving) if anyone's interested.
http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Menopause.html

Last edited by MizKitty : Thu, Jul-26-12 at 14:18.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 09:56

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

lizzy,
have you considered/tried St Johns Wort or 5htp?

Many of the aspects of menopause are actually serotonin-related (and the changes in estrogen affecting that aspect) and for some women products that help with serotonin will help with some of the menopausal symptoms.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 10:51

BF:

Thanks quietone,

I can't take St. Johns because it increases in photosenitivity. I have skin issues. I may try 5htp though. I'll look into that. My search continues.