Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:11

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 191/182.5/150 Female 5`6"
BF:????
Progress: 21%
Default How much magnesium do you take?

Just wondering how much magnesium people are taking per day. I have 500 mg pills and take 2 in the morning and sometimes 1 or 2 at night. At 1500-2000 mg per day I find it keeps me regular (without overdoing it ), helps me sleep better and suppresses my appetite. Just wondering if it might be too much or if my body will eventually get used to it and I'll have to up to the dosage. Also, I take plain "Magnesium" should I be taking something different?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

I take 600mg/daily Magnesium Malate
Krispin's Magnesium pages
He suggests Albion Patent chelates.
Dr McCleary of the Brain Trust Program suggests magnesium malate (that I take) or Magnesium taurinate. If you have problems with constipation I would have thought Magnesium Citrate was the best form.
I think you must be taking far too much.
See what Krispin says about overdose.

this thread from Neurotalk will have lots of good information. Look at post from Mrs Doubtfire.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:10

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I take a variety of tablets (some with added Bs and folate), some just plain magnesium, occasionally a magnesium and potassium combo. I weigh about 135lbs and the pills containing between 350 - 400g (only one a day, taken at night) are enough for me. I think I would get a major attack of the runs if I took more...

I must say, though, I do tend to agree with Hutchinson: you seem to be taking an awful lot and too much can give you problems, too.

Perhaps if you had a deficiency, you now need to restock your stores, but long-term I would cut down. There've been threads in this sub-forum about magnesium before and somebody posted something which will tell you how much you need per kg/lb of body weight. Heavier people need more.

Also, as it is a muscle relaxant, I would personally avoid taking it in the morning. I take it at night and I have no troubles getting to sleep. If I stop taking it, I start to get cramps easily and my mild arrhythmia starts to return with a vengeance.

For me it's an absolute must-have supplement, but you can overdo it!

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:18
Shrinking Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

I have been taking 2 500mg tablets at bedtime for 6 months. It is the only thing that keeps me regular. It has been a lifesaver since LCing. My daughter who also suffers with "irregularity" has been taking the same dose at night with no problems.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:18
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

Hi Shirss28,

I take 2000 mg or 2g Mag. a day. 2 & 2, just like you!
I do perfectly with it! ~Cheryl
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:22

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

They do say that we actually absorb very little of the magnesium we take in tablet form - only about 15 or 20% if I remember rightly - so even if you're taking tablets with 2000mg, you'd actually be absorbing a much smaller amount.

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 16:23

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 191/182.5/150 Female 5`6"
BF:????
Progress: 21%

Thanks for your responses! I initially started off a couple months ago taking about 500 mg, but really didn't feel any different, once that bottle was gone I got pills with 500mg each and started taking 2 at night. I slept so much better and I was even dreaming (something I usually didn't do). For the past week is when I started taking 2 in the morning as well as my two at night, I've found that that morning dose has help with the regularity (sorry if TMI!) and appetite suppression. I've read up that overdoses do cause diarrhea - I haven't experienced that so I thought I was doing okay. There is so much different info on what dosage is best to take - so I was wondering what others have found. Thanks for your help!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 07:26

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirss28
Thanks for your responses! I initially started off a couple months ago taking about 500 mg, but really didn't feel any different, once that bottle was gone I got pills with 500mg each and started taking 2 at night. I slept so much better and I was even dreaming (something I usually didn't do). For the past week is when I started taking 2 in the morning as well as my two at night, I've found that that morning dose has help with the regularity (sorry if TMI!) and appetite suppression. I've read up that overdoses do cause diarrhea - I haven't experienced that so I thought I was doing okay. There is so much different info on what dosage is best to take - so I was wondering what others have found. Thanks for your help!

What form are you taking? citrate, oxide, etc?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 21:57

Plan: None in particular
Stats: 180/170/160 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 50%

I try not to take extra through supplementation (but end up getting some in my general multi anyhow). Generally, I manage to get enough through dietary means alone, including re-mineralized water.

I find I take my supplements only when I cannot get what I need through food sources. You should try working more magnesium-rich foods (or water) into your low-carb plan; The body is fickle and you may benefit more from eating the right things rather than measuring the right amount of pills. Just a thought.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 02:09
Registered Member

Plan: SCD
Stats: 152/152/152 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

I take magnesium malate (1250 mg) once every day or so. The malate is nice as it doesn't loosen things up like other forms (magnesium sulfate and oxide). Mag oxide is particularly insoluble and absorption is probably very low.

Suggested reading: "The Magnesium Miracle." Good stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 10:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think magnesium is helping me with this chronic pain I get in my neck and shoulders when sleeping. *cheer*
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 21:24

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Itake anywhere from 500 to 1000 mgs of mag citrate and every few months I will switch to mag glycinate for a month. It helps keep me regular and usually if I take more than 1000 I get diahrea so I cut back. It also helps me have a much better sleep. I seem to sleep deeper when I take mag.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 22:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 203/184/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Here is what Dr Eades says about magnesium. He thinks the supplement is very important.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...d-inflammation/

I take 400mg in the evening.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 10:11
Experimenter

BF:

I have these 1000 mg pills but on the back of the container it says: Magnesium 150 mg (from 1000 mg of magnesium Malatate).

Hmmm... what the heck?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 10:30
Experimenter

BF:

Oh hey, I think Dr. Eades answered my question
Quote:
I use magnesium citrimate, and I take 300 mg per day at bedtime. Any good chelated magnesium will do. Just look for one with ‘ate’ on the end of it, as in magnesium aspartate or magnesium citrate. And be careful in checking the doses because chelated magnesium isn’t all labeled the same. Some list the actual magnesium on the label and will say that each pill contains, say, 150 mg of magnesium. Others add the weight of the chelating agent (the substance that ends in ‘ate’) in with the magnesium, so you might find a brand where the label says each pill is 1000 mg. This means the magnesium plus the chelating agent adds up to 1000 mg. The best way is to look for the RDI on the back of the bottle. Take enough pills to get the RDI each day, and take them at bedtime.