Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/218.2/200 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

The point of the article is don't eat rotten red meat. Sice I don't, I will have a juicy steak tonight.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 12:27

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dodger
The point of the article is don't eat rotten red meat. Since I don't, I will have a juicy steak tonight.

Evidence for a human-specific mechanism for diet and antibody-mediated inflammation in carcinoma progression.

Patients with cancer have circulating heterophile antibodies that agglutinate animal red cells via recognition of the mammalian cell surface sialic acid N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc), which was long considered an oncofetal antigen in humans. However, humans are genetically deficient in Neu5Gc production and instead metabolically accumulate Neu5Gc from dietary sources, particularly red meats and milk products. Moreover, mice with a human-like defect showed no alternate pathway for Neu5Gc synthesis and even normal humans express anti-Neu5Gc antibodies. We show here that human tumors accumulate Neu5Gc that is covalently attached to multiple classes of glycans. The paradox of human tumor Neu5Gc accumulation in the face of circulating anti-Neu5Gc antibodies was hypothesized to be due to facilitation of tumor progression by the resulting low-grade chronic inflammation. Indeed, murine tumors expressing human-like levels of Neu5Gc show accelerated growth in syngeneic mice with a human-like Neu5Gc deficiency, coincident with the induction of anti-Neu5Gc antibodies and increased infiltration of inflammatory cells. Transfer of polyclonal monospecific syngeneic mouse anti-Neu5Gc serum also enhanced growth of transplanted syngeneic tumors bearing human-like levels of Neu5Gc, with tumors showing evidence for antibody deposition, enhanced angiogenesis and chronic inflammation. These effects were suppressed by a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, a drug type known to reduce human carcinoma risk. Finally, affinity-purified human anti-Neu5Gc antibodies also accelerate growth of Neu5Gc-containing tumors in Neu5Gc-deficient mice. Taken together, the data suggest that the human propensity to develop diet-related carcinomas is contributed to by local chronic inflammation, resulting from interaction of metabolically-accumulated dietary Neu5Gc with circulating anti-Neu5Gc antibodies.

2008 by The National Academy of Sciences of the USA

Unfortunately, there’s much more to Neu5Gc than simply rotten red meat avoidance!

Information about this is spreading like crazy around the world. A short time ago, it was even reported in a Pakistani newspaper!

Should we not take notice here also?

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Fri, Nov-28-08 at 15:00.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 12:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
Amanda -

1- I am not American.

2- I am not against protein, all I said is Red meat may not be beneficial for everyone.

3- I know all about Anemia, and how to test for it, I have a resident Dr at my house too.

4- I read more diet book and health books than I can list over here

In summary, if you are healthy and happy eating red meat them go ahead - but I am pointing red meat may not be suitable for everyone - just like any other food item. Also the benefits in the red meat is only absorbed in specific environment and as part of various food combination.

Hello SandyDown,

I appear to have offended for which I apologise. However, this is a "support" forum and I was only trying to offer my support. When I read about this iron stuff in the Eades' book, I was really quite surprised - it was news to me. Equally, after getting a bloodwork result which showed I was slightly anaemic, I put a query on this forum and got some information which put my mind at rest. I was only trying to help.

On your points above:

1) I never said you were American (re-read my post)
2) I never knew you had a Dr in your house
3) I didn't know you had read zillions of books

And how could I? Nonetheless, I am sorry I offended you for not knowing something I couldn't have known and I'm sorry I offered support to you on a support forum.

amanda
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 16:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Amanda:
1- You didn’t offend me, I simple prefer to write in bullet points – its clearer, and better than waffling on
2- You assumed my anaemia is due to my standard American diet, hence I clarified am not American, and therefore I do not and never ate a standard America diet.
3- You assumed I didn’t know how to test for anaemia and other assumption about my lack of knowledge
so I calrrified the situation for you.
4- This is not the support part of the forum, this is the research and media part, my post was simple to say I agreed that red meat is not for every body (based on my own experiences) I wasn’t asking for support, but thanks anyway.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 04:59

BF:

One last clarification, and then let's leave this. I was quoting Eades about the standard American diet. I never said you ate the SAD. Seeing as your plan says "General Low Carb", I had not assumed you ate the SAD. Who does on this forum? But I must confess I did assume two things: that you probably live in a "westernized" country and, that prior to low-carbing, you probably ate things like breakfast cereals with added iron.

amanda
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 05:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
One last clarification, and then let's leave this. I was quoting Eades about the standard American diet. I never said you ate the SAD. Seeing as your plan says "General Low Carb", I had not assumed you ate the SAD. Who does on this forum? But I must confess I did assume two things: that you probably live in a "westernized" country and, that prior to low-carbing, you probably ate things like breakfast cereals with added iron.

amanda

Wrong assumptions again
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 11:49

BF:

woops again!

sorry - and for real this time...

but I am curious as to where you might live and why you have never eaten breakfast cereal???

but these are secrets which are yours to keep and mine never to know....

amanda
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 14:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I think it's fair to say that everybody has different biochemistry, and "the perfect diet" for one person may not be "the perfect diet" for somebody else.

Sandydown does better with lots of fish and less red meat. OK. So Sandydown can eat more fish and less red meat. It could be that Sandydown is allergic/sensitive to beef and can't properly absorb the nutrients in it. Maybe she's reacting badly to the grains that the beef was fed (if she wasn't eating a lot of grass-fed beef.)

This doesn't mean that red meat is unhealthy for EVERYBODY- it just means that some people don't tolerate it well, and Sandydown is one of them. Her reactions may or may not have anything to do with the specific chemical studied in this article.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 12:59

A new study now shows that a diet high in fat from red meats and dairy may be linked to pancreatic cancer.

Researchers at the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md studied over 500,000 people from the National Institutes of Health – AARP Diet and Health Study. The people participating in the study had completed a food questionnaire in 1995-1996 and were observed for about six years in order to track their health.

In that time, 865 of the men and 472 of the women were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The study found that men eating a high-fat diet had a 53 percent higher chance of pancreatic cancer, while women's risk raised by 23 percent compared to those that ate less amounts of fat.

“We observed positive associations between pancreatic cancer and intakes of total, saturated, and monounsaturated fat overall, particularly from red meat and dairy food sources. We did not observe any consistent association with polyunsaturated or fat from plant food sources,” the authors write. “Altogether, these results suggest a role for animal fat in pancreatic carcinogenesis.”

According to the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research, an estimated 42,470 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2009, and over 35,240 will die from the disease. Seventy-five percent of people with pancreatic cancer die within the first 12 months of being diagnosed. Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer related death in the U.S.

This study was published online June 26 in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The above was previously posted in another thread. My mistake (senior moment), as it should have been posted here.

Sorry.

Bo
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 13:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
A new study now shows that a diet high in fat from red meats and dairy may be linked to pancreatic cancer.

Or that people who care about their health have less pancreatic cancer than people who don't care about their health.

Again, you draw on vegetarians or even people who eat a lot of vegetables and less meat and what characteristic do they have? They are probably eating that way because they care about their health and have some self-discipline when it comes to eating. Compare them with the population at large, most of whom think more about color coordinating their socks and underwear than they do their health. And you get yet another anti-meat study aimed at folks without the tools to evaluate it with some healthy and very appropriate skepticism.

Like Tom McNaughton said recently:
Quote:
When people mention that obesity is associated with Type II diabetes and therefore must cause diabetes, I’ll sometimes reply that gray hair is also associated with diabetes and suggest we start giving Grecian Formula to everyone to prevent it. That usually generates a reply along the lines of, “Come on, that’s ridiculous. A lot of people develop diabetes when they’re older and happen to have gray hair.”

That’s the good news: people don’t confuse an association with a cause when it’s obviously ridiculous. The bad news is that if an association isn’t ridiculous, researchers often do believe they’re seeing cause and effect – especially if the association confirms a pre-existing bias.

What these studies show is "The Adherence Effect" or "Healthy User" effect, not that red meat or fat promotes cancer. Bologna may cause cancer. This is EXACTLY the same time of pig swill that lead doctors to believe that estrogen prevented heart disease, when exactly the opposite was true. They studied HRT in women who were compliant with treatment and concerned about their health. Yes, they had less heart disease, but it wasn't because of the HRT, it was in spite of the HRT.

Do a study between two sets of people with the same perspective on health issues, like comparing Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists or compare meat eaters and vegetarians who shop at health food stores, and THEN you might have something worse wasting paper or pixels on.

Geez Boboguy, stop falling for this crap. I think you're smarter than that.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 13:46

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

You can't compare a health conscious vegetarian to "Joe Average Schmuck" and start drawing conclusions about the superiority of a vegetarian diet.

You need to compare a health conscious meat eater to a health conscious vegetarian and go from there.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 14:22
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Any study that uses food frequency questionnaires isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

--Melissa
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile

Any study that uses food frequency questionnaires isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

--Melissa

Ok, the below did not use a food frequency questionnaire. Is it worth the paper it’s printed on?

Evidence for a human-specific mechanism for diet and antibody-mediated inflammation in carcinoma progression.

Patients with cancer have circulating heterophile antibodies that agglutinate animal red cells via recognition of the mammalian cell surface sialic acid N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc), which was long considered an oncofetal antigen in humans. However, humans are genetically deficient in Neu5Gc production and instead metabolically accumulate Neu5Gc from dietary sources, particularly red meats and milk products. Moreover, mice with a human-like defect showed no alternate pathway for Neu5Gc synthesis and even normal humans express anti-Neu5Gc antibodies. We show here that human tumors accumulate Neu5Gc that is covalently attached to multiple classes of glycans. The paradox of human tumor Neu5Gc accumulation in the face of circulating anti-Neu5Gc antibodies was hypothesized to be due to facilitation of tumor progression by the resulting low-grade chronic inflammation. Indeed, murine tumors expressing human-like levels of Neu5Gc show accelerated growth in syngeneic mice with a human-like Neu5Gc deficiency, coincident with the induction of anti-Neu5Gc antibodies and increased infiltration of inflammatory cells. Transfer of polyclonal monospecific syngeneic mouse anti-Neu5Gc serum also enhanced growth of transplanted syngeneic tumors bearing human-like levels of Neu5Gc, with tumors showing evidence for antibody deposition, enhanced angiogenesis and chronic inflammation. These effects were suppressed by a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, a drug type known to reduce human carcinoma risk. Finally, affinity-purified human anti-Neu5Gc antibodies also accelerate growth of Neu5Gc-containing tumors in Neu5Gc-deficient mice. Taken together, the data suggest that the human propensity to develop diet-related carcinomas is contributed to by local chronic inflammation, resulting from interaction of metabolically-accumulated dietary Neu5Gc with circulating anti-Neu5Gc antibodies.

Source Here

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Tue, Jul-14-09 at 17:50. Reason: add underline
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 18:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They found something intersting but so far haven't been able to link it to any human diseases. Might turn out to be no biggee. Meanwhile, when you study people where the differences in attitude toward health are the same, there is no difference between meat eaters and non-meat eaters in life span. So quit worrying about Neu5Gc.

Typos are due to my cat rubbing his cheek on my keyboard!
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-09, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Geez Boboguy, stop falling for this crap. I think you're smarter than that.

Diet May Reduce Risk Of Prostate Cancer

A new review published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics assessed whether certain modifications in diet have a beneficial effect on the prevention of prostate cancer. Results suggest that a diet low in fat and red meat and high in fruits and vegetables is beneficial in preventing and treating prostate cancer.

Robert W.-L. Ma and K. Chapman conducted an evidence-based review of dietary recommendations in the prevention of prostate cancer as well as in the management of patients with prostate cancer.

The researchers found that a diet low in fat, high in vegetables and fruit, and avoiding high energy intake, excessive meat, and excessive dairy products and calcium intake may be helpful in preventing prostate cancer, and for patients diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Specifically, consumption of tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, green tea, and vitamins including Vitamin E and selenium seemed to propose a decreased risk of prostate cancer. Consumption of highly processed or charcoaled meats, dairy products, and fats seemed to be correlated with prostate cancer.

“Although not conclusive, results suggest that general dietary modification has a beneficial effect on the prevention of prostate cancer,” the authors conclude. “In patients with prostate cancer, dietary therapy allows patients to be an active participant in their treatment.”

Study published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics

I constantly try not to fall for anything, but studies like the above just keep coming and coming. They do seem credible and are hard to ignore. This red meat and dairy thingy somehow reminds me of years ago when the majority were ignoring early tobacco warnings. Hope I’m wrong!

Btw, I agree with your assessment regarding characteristics of people who eat a lot of vegetables and less meat. They do appear to be eating that way due to self-discipline and concern for their health. Also, I agree that scientists to date have not linked Neu5Gc to any human disease. Lets both hope it turns out to be no biggie. In the mean time, I’m avoiding red meat and dairy.

Bo