Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 10:20

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I'm thankfull, no night sweats. Started to have mild hot flashes, about 2 months ago, 3 a day, and then started working out again every day. Now they are gone. Haven't had one since the second week I started working out.
Being very active seems to keep them at bay for me. Also, keeping to my LC regimen too.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 13:12

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I started meno at age 39/40 - and was done by 42. Mind you, I was a ferris wheel mentally for those years. I had all the symptoms X 2, every day/night. Total basket case, but then mine was over in a couple of years.

My mother started hers early also. So I inherited it. But also, I started my cycle at 10 yrs old, which has something to do with it also.

It has nothing to do with diet or exercise. It's just your body clock ticking....

I will say that my sister started hers at 50 yrs old. And we have noticed that as she gets aging type health issues, I am getting them within 2 years of her. But he is 12 years older than I am. So there may be something to the 'aging faster than normal' idea. I don't know, just thought I would put that out there.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 13:57

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

I have been period free for a year 4 months. I am 56 this coming month, last year was the year of the night sweats, but took a supplement, and they slowly went away, along with the money! Why are they so expensive? So, a re cap, started late (16) and finished 55, did 6 years of oral contraceptives and then was sterilized. Never had a problem, before, during or later. Have one child, sorry, he's an adult now. My uterus is boring! lol.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 11:51

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

What supplement do you take?

I am almost 56 and haven't had a period for now 7 months. I think I'm in full meno. And, when I DO get a hot flash, YIKES!!! I'm on FIRE!!!. I explode into full body drench!
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 12:01

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi there - ah, menopause. One of the remaining things we "just don't talk about", much anyway.
The year of my 40th birthday I started with HOT FLASHES. The kind where you are drenched and the only way to cool down is to run outside at 20 below and stand on the porch in your nightdress until you feel normal. LOL. The neighbours must've wondered!
I still have HOT FLASHES and now I am 58. Yes, you read that right. 18 freaking years of them. Less frequent now - I get a rash of them for a couple of weeks and then they are gone for maybe months at a time.
Peri-menopause - where periods come and go - lasted about 10 years for me. Of course you only know it's the last period when you realize 6 months or a year later - Hey I haven't had one in a while. But it was around 50 or 51 for me. Same as my biological mother apparently.
Now I enjoy the calm emotional life. No pre-TOM to mess me about, make me teary and all that. Or murderous. Just calm and steady, like a morning sea.
I tried supplements in the midst of peri-menopause and they all seemed to work, then WHOOSH the heat flashes would return. For me supplements were a waste of time.
I did do Atkins during that time once, and lost a ton of weight and the hot flashes lessened, for sure!
Any of the books by Christianne Northrup, MD are very helpful and informative, by the way.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 11:02

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Teresaw,
I would also like to know the supplement you found helpful. I'm peri right now without many symptoms but planning ahead.
Thanks.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 13:18

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ha ha. I started menopause at about 49, and have had three years of the most savage run of night sweats, hot flushes, skin itching, mood swinging, etc. I am not on any meds, tried Remifemin but it did no good. Have gained about 10 kilos in the last year.
I am glad to know that same women make it through with minor symptoms, and if you are reading this and have minor trouble through the change of life then kiss your husband and count your blessings.
If, like me, you are having one savage run, then you are in good company.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 08:32

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Remifemin and the other 'OTC' supps have black cohosh and soy in them. Not good for the thyroid. Many doctors will Rx. bioidentical estradiol and progesterone now. (NOT horse urine..I'm NOT talking about premarin! I'm NOT saying progeSTINS).

Some brand names? Estraderm, Vivelle dot for the estradiol, and progesterone that is natural is called prometrium and you can get that in a transdermal (rub on skin) gel or orally. suggest you have blood tests to see 'how much' you need.

If you have a uterus, you MUST take progesterone WITH the estradiol/estriol to avoid issues with uterine lining.

go and google 'BHRT doctors' or 'bioidentical hormone doctors' or go to the website 'woman to woman' for more info.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 13:15

Plan: Ducan
Stats: 246/209/134 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

I was 54 when I hit the menopause. Only problem I ever had was hot flushes. Not much in the winter but horrid in the summer.
Took homeopathic remedies which have really helped.
Rarely need anything now as they are pretty much gone....
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 14:15
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I was 50 when the first hot flash hit me. That's all I had really, as uterus was removed already from a benign, but rather large fibroid removal. So no periods from that surgery at age 30. Never had a single night sweat during meno transition. The flashes pretty much were gone after about a year if I remember right, and I didn't have them all that bad IMO.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-12, 17:50

Plan: Atkins/Gluten-Free
Stats: 167.4/158.6/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 39%

I've started with significant peri-menopause symptons at about 47, with some odd periods. Hot flashes ramped up when I was about 48 1/2 and now that I'm 49, I'm on about a 70 day cycle instead of my past 33. I'm really not interested in drugs and I'm hoping that diet and exercise and sleep will help me!

Anyone have any luck with that?
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 06:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Around 47 for me. Had hysterectomy two years prior, kept the ovaries, but they finally began to fail. No HRT by choice. Symptoms were less until about a month ago - yeesh!

Ramping up exercising and getting back on proper eating plan. I recall at the beginning of all this, taking a bit of time out to do even 10 minutes of meditation and deep breathing exercises helped me. Takes practice though....
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 06:59
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Around 53 for me. Two years before I had a year of horrendous bleeding then periodic spotting before I finally stopped.

Took Red Clover for a short time for night sweats.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 07:26

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Low-Carber. thanks for the link. I followed it to http://www.womentowomen.com/menopau...imenopause.aspx
and read through the comments. I had my first laugh in a long time. I identified with "temperament of a cobra". Just too precious! It really helped me, it is easy to feel so alone with some of these symptoms. It shakes my confidence when I am around others. What mood will I wear today? Sad, moody, irritable? Who knows? Spin the wheel of emotions and stand back! I have hypothyroid, so my first hot flash were just plain confusing! It was "What in the world?? My body doesn't waste energy on providing me heat!" I had a hopeful moment thinking maybe my thyroid might have tried to kicked back on. Oh, well. I am 44. It was late last year for my first hot flash. Terribly heavy periods for a year or two.

Last edited by RubySpider : Thu, Mar-22-12 at 07:30. Reason: forgot to add age.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 18:46

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Doc finally took "it" out when I was 57 and I'm a raging bear if I don't take my estrogen. To get off it I'd probably have to be put in jail LOL