Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Want2Bskny, I am in exactly the same position as you. I'm also due in early April and have majorly fallen off the low carb wagon.

I love carbs but every time I eat them I end up feeling lethargic and tired but knowing this hasn't made it any easier to stop. It's always tomorrow.

The last 2 days I've managed to get on top of it somewhat. I'm still eating small amounts of carbs at lunch and dinner but I'm feeling a lot better. The after lunch slump has finally left and for me this is motivating enough to continue.

I've gained much much more than I should have, I think about 25 pounds. I'm hoping to curtail the extra weight gain and just put on baby weight from here on.

I wish you well and hope you find the balance you're looking for, perhaps we can be of encouragement to each other both on and off "the wagon".
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 17:55

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

I hesitate to write here bc i have decided not to do an LC pregnancy (but have kept up my journal as my personal overall life journal and have focused more on moderation of food groups the last year, although did SB before that). I guess what drives me here right now, is i have had a reality check with how much i am gaining, so i can really relate to the discussion here. I lost 10 pounds quite quickly (6-8 weeks) before my wedding in late Sept, then gained 7 back quickly with wedding and 2 weeks all inclusive honeymoon, then was pregnant. SO starting from there (157), i gained only about 2 in first 12 weeks (although went up in sizes), but then another 8 these last 4 weeks. SO that is 10 from the beginning and yikes, 17, from wedding. I know it is mostly from what i am eating as i am allowing myself to eat whatever i want and have not had major cravings nor ravenous hunger, although i think that is starting this week. I need to reflect on what, if anything, i will do about this. I am comfortable eating starch in all or most meals and snacks, and i have balanced food groups (at first, the starch helped nausea, but it is more that i just enjoyed eating it - no strong cravings yet). What bothers me more is the sugary desserts i have been eating - daily - sometimes more than once. I feel i should get a handle on this for my and baby'S health and for more reasonable gain (as i know it will be harder to lose later), but i also associate 'enjoying the pregnancy' with eating what i want. I guess what i have come to is that i need to make a mild effort, as in cut down the sweets (even a little) for my health, but otherwise high C is ok with me (i already knew that). Not sure why i am writing here, but the worry of the gain this week lead me here. I don'T feel the need for advice, but wanted to process a bit of this recent gain and share where i am at, maybe so Want2Bskny doesn'T feel alone.

Congratulations to all those preggies out there.....and to all those who have your babies!!

Good luck with what you each decide is healthiest for you to do during this time.

Lattélover
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 21:14

Yes, I also found sweets to be a big problem but for me it was also the massive servings of rice, pasta etc that was contributing to a huge weight gain and a general feeling of malaise. I am not on a specific low carb plan but I have certainly cut back on my carb consumption over the last 2 days. I cannot believe how much better I feel.

I'm eating a lot more carbs than when I was actively trying to lose weight but much less than when I'd thrown it all to the wind. I'ts great to start feeling human again and as I said before, I hope this leads to a more healthy weight gain. After all, I'll only have to lose it all once bub is born.

To each their own and good luck to all
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 21:16

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

No worries, everybody is different when it comes to weight gain, cravings, and your body's needs. We're all the same in that we want a healthy baby (or babies). I have abandoned low carbing to a degree. I choose brown rice and 12 grain bread if I eat them, and stick with berries instead of bananas. Just as an example. But then I'll go wild and eat a plate of brownies. Last night at midnight I found myself making potato salad because I was craving vinegar.

I am up to having gaine about 16 pounds and I'm 21 weeks. Not the best, but not the worst. I never got morning sickness, never lost the cravings thing. So I'm not shocked that I've gained. But you know what? I'm pregnant. If baby wants yellow mustard on a boiled potato, so what! I'm not eating it everyday, or every week. Same with my brownies issue. We're all supposed to gain, we're supposed to make smart decisions, and we're all supposed to enjoy the moment and love life while we're creating and nuturing it. I won't feed my toddler a plate of brownies, so don't go there But I will live.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 21:33

Like you Aprils0909, I never had any major morning sickness, if anything I felt nauseous from not eating, so weight gain started early.

I also agree, we all want healthy babies and everyone has to eat in such a way as they feel best.

I have to admit, my weakness for a time was almond magnum icecreams. They are vanilla icecream covered in the most delicious thick milk chocolate covered in slivered almonds. I had to give them up because of the way I was starting to feel but they were soooo good.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 17:06

BF:

Interesting to read what everyone is doing. I guess i was a little hesitant coming back here, wondering if i would be judged for what i wrote about higher C eating. But i am happy to see that everyone is very respectful of each other'S choices and seem to be enjoying processing together!

I agree, that the fundamental base, is about having a healthy baby, and secondly for me, enjoying this beautiful process. Having had a miscarriage not long ago, relatively late (May 26th at one day before 12 weeks we found out, although had happened at some point earlier), it puts in perspective about what really matters.

Aprils0909, I remember reading from a couple of sources that when you start out thin like you, then you do need to gain more than others. I know it is all individual, but i do remember that notion that the thinner person needs to gain more and the heavier person, less.

After writing that post the other day, i then felt a bit more worried the next day about my gain, as i suddenly have started feeling more hungry; i know this is healthy and fine, it'S just that i was already gaining from pure pleasure eating so now with the increased hunger and my association of eating what i want as much as i want = enjoying the pregnancy......yikes! I am happy not to be on any specific plan, but i would like to make some healthier efforts. I was slightly better last week with less desserts, although still lots starch, and more fruit, veg and yogurt (which had been unappealing much of first trimester). Getting enough water is still a challenge.

Good luck everyone!

Latté
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 22:19

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am very sorry that you had a miscarriage. I hope you're feeling better. Here are some sites for a healthy pregnancy diet. They really emphasize protein for the health of mother and baby.
http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/ifyou...-balanced-diet/

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/index.html

They are both the Brewer diet, the bottom one has more information, the top one is the official site.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 18:15

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Thanks Latte. I have officially gained 20 pounds. I'm hoping that it'll sink a by a pound or two before reporting it on the forum. I'm 22 weeks and frustrated with my consumption. I am so swollen and sore and stretched out. It's all in my belly. I hate it! I am also waaaaaaaaay constipated. I ate a whole container of prunes, nothing! Warm prune juice like the nurses website said. NOTHING. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-09, 21:27

aprils0909, try adding chilli on your food. Believe me when I tell you, constipation will not be a problem the next morning
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 10:40

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi all,
Sorry I've been away -- we just returned from a week's vacation to Cancun Mexico, where we stayed at an all inclusive. All I will say is, in my jealousy of everyone else drinking yummy alcoholic pool drinks and cocktails, I completely resorted to food. I did not deny myself a thing and came back 4 pounds heavier in one week -- I'm sure having nothing to do with the pregancy.

I think I get the record of the most weight gain here -- I'm pretty sure I'm up 29 pounds and at almost 28 weeks pregant -- way over the normal "high" of weight gain.

I have been much better since I got back, and the 4 vacation pounds are back off -- hard to get a grip on my eating though.

My new attitude is to work on moderation and focus on healthy foods sticking mainly to salads, veggies, fats, fruits and very moderate carbs.

Hope everyone is feeling okay!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 14:10

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 262/211/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I realize this is an old thread but found it helpful. Last Spring/Summer I knocked off 65Lbs. doing Atkins then the remaining year I found my CCL and maintained that weight. I just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant, my last weigh-in in November I was still 197Lb. then at the doctors today I weighed in at 215Lb. I almost crapped my pants. In one week alone I gained 5Lbs. And it's those darn carb cravings that's getting me. Toast and anything I bake (or wanna bake cuz I WANT it) is putting extra pounds on me. Now I seriously wanna go back to Induction, maybe not strict Induction but I wonder if I should really enforce the vegetables and protein to combat these cravings, as I'm not taking any supplements to help my seretonin levels. If I did that how will that affect the baby? My concern is ketones, will the ketones affect my baby?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 14:44

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

That's a good question. I have no idea and wish I knew too. I believe on Atkins, they say to stay at Maintenance during pregnancy -- so maybe stick to 60 to 90gms of carb??
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 14:51

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 262/211/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Yes I did some more reading and found helpful answers, as for ketosis, seems as though any physician/nutritionist/dietician will tell you it's "bad for the baby" but good ol fashioned common-sense will tell you it can't be that bad. I think it's ones own judgement, perhaps I'll see where 50g. gets me, or at least slow down this crazy weight gain that I feel there's no need for. Could be that I just quit smoking once I found out....hormones and withdrawal can't be the best combo for combating carbs, lol we'll see.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 16:46

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Goodeby262, I just found out I am also 6 weeks pregnant. Congratulations to you!

I am trying with my diet to avoid junk carbs and to follow the Brewer diet (link posted in my above post).

Get a prenatal vitamin or folate supplement asap, if you don't have one already. Hope you're not feeling too much morning sickness.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 15:28

BF:

HI All!

APRils0909, sorry to hear about the constipation. I have been having bran flakes and granola most days and a little figs to try and prevent that - no problem yet, but i know i don'T drink enough water. Sorry to hear that you are feeling bad about the weight gain........but it'S great that it'S all in your tummy, as many others gain all over. Good luck.

Want2bskny, hope you had a great vacation. I can totally understand about the all-inclusive. We went to one on honeymoon for 2 weeks (near Cancun too - isn'T it beautiful?) at beginning of Oct (where i got pregnant in the middle). I also totally enjoyed the food all the time and gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks (i think it was more, then maybe came off a bit in a day or 2). ANyway, when i weighed a couple days after coming back and knowing pregnant, it was 7 pounds since wedding. I have now gained 12 since that and know it will be more fast, since i won'T exercise in the next 2.5 weeks after amnio yesterday and still eating lots. Would like to get the desserts more under control, but it'S hard - keep buying them. Otherwise, i'm ok wiht starch in all meals and lots of snacks, although one small effort i thought of to balance out all the eating, is one low-moderate C meal per day - did it once. My focus right now is more on my sanity after amnio yesterday, which seems to have gone well so far, but very scared about results since they saw something in ultrasound that increases chance of Down'S or some chromosome abnormality ( to 1/650 chance). Trying to focus on positive that that is still better than the average risk at my age. SO surviving while i await results and hoping for healthy results are my primary concern now.

Good luck all and congratulations to GOodbye 262 and algts!

Latté