Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%
Default Sweet treats?

I am not in general a sweets person, but sometimes I want them -- about 4 times a year I go through a week or two of wanting something sweet. This is "scary" for me as I have a huge, tremendous, just plain Ginormous fear of sugar and I have to be really careful with sugar alcohols or move into the bathroom.

I bought some Blue Bunny sugar free fudgecicles because I wanted something ice cream like and chocolate. I honestly can't stand them -- they are way, way too sweet to me. So that's not going to work. The thought of my standard LC cheesecake -- I have slices in the freezer -- doesn't appeal to me.

What do you folks eat if you really have a sweet craving? Has anyone dared to try anything with sugar in it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:28
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I have a huge sweet tooth. I have only rarely in my life come across anything I think is too sweet (or too rich) tasting.

I do eat sugar, in moderation. I will share a dessert at dinner out or have a small piece of some cake or whatever. I have a real cookie sometimes. I eat sugar alcohols, too, but they don't affect my digestive system much.

If it were me, the sugar free alternatives usually do the trick. If it didn't, I'd go to the store and buy a single real sugar ice cream bar if that was what I was craving that badly and the craving didn't go away after a while. For me, that works, gets rid of the craving and if I'm careful to stay low carb and not let it turn into eating other sugary things that day or the next, it doesn't trigger me into anything awful.

But, that's me. I'm not suggesting that's the right answer for everyone.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:30
Registered Member

Buying a single makes sense. I'll have to think about it. I think this is a fear I need to conquer while not letting sugar have much of a place in my diet.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:35
Bouncy!

I've never thought about it so specifically, but now that we talk about it, that's sort of my rule for sweets. Singles. Or special occasions. I don't buy sugary things to bring in the house. I don't buy sugary things in bulk. I know I can't trust myself. I can have one or enjoy a special occasion sugary treat because it's self-limiting by it's lack of availability after I'm done.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 16:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

While I avoid sugar at all costs, I do keep a bag of sf chocolates (different varieties) on hand for those times that I want something sweet and fruit or fudge pops just don't cut it. I've learned to be very careful with them though, 1 or 2 are fine, anything more and my tummy pays the price!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 18:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Any reason you avoid the splenda sweetened stuff?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 18:45

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Any reason you avoid the splenda sweetened stuff?

Is this for me? If so... I don't. But if you look, even the packages with the little Splenda logo on it lists maltitol as one of, if not the first, ingredient. I made the mistake early on of thinking, "Oh, Splenda! I can eat these w/ no problems!" Boy was I wrong!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 19:19
Dazed and Confused

Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I make something with a lot of good cinnamon and Splenda which tastes like this:

No real sugar ever!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 19:31
Registered Member

Nancy, I don't avoid Splenda and use it when I make my cheesecake. Thing is, I'd like to (hanging head in shame) be able to buy something and not have to make it. The biggest reason for this is that if I get my sweet fix that is all I want -- just the sweet fix right then. The rest of the sweets hit the trash, so making it myself seems like a lot of effort.

What I am really thinking of is going to a nice restaurant for a dessert and a cup of good coffee.

Hey Susan, what do you make with the cinnamon and splenda?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 19:35
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I make oatmeal with so much cinnamon and splenda it tastes like Red Hots. Originally it was an accident with too much cinnamon, but it is fabulous.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 19:40
Registered Member

No kidding???!!! I have to try this.

I ordinarily do not like anything sweet in my oatmeal, but if I were thinking about it as a dessert.... Hmm, I'm gonna give this a shot.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 20:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

While I was still in weight loss mode, sugar did not pass these lips!

Now that I'm where I am...I do allow myself some dark chocolate 85%, nightly, 100 calories worth. If the portion size is 10 squares = 240 cals, I have 4 squares that I allow to melt in my mouth...no chewing!! My fav is Vivani.

I also enjoy the Halter no sugar added little hard candies to suck on...the cherry is my fav!

I had not bought any ice cream in many months until last weekend. I just had a desire for it. I got the Breyers No Sugar Added dble churned Vanilla. Its a challenge to not eat more than 1/2 cup at a time

Last week I had a real oatmeal cookie from a bakery. It tasted great in my mouth, but the combo of the flour and sugar did not feel great as my body digested it.

I can eat a lot of things in maintenance that I could not eat while seeking weight loss.

One thing that I did eat when still losing, were the No Sugar Added Fudgsicles, the brand name ! I would take 2 of them and nuke them into a cup just long enough to melt them off the sticks...12 seconds? Then I'd put a squirt of whipped cream in the cup and I was a happy camper!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 20:19
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I have several slim girlfriends IRL. And we don't eat sugared stuff - ever. I think it is a slippery slope. If you want to be slim, you have to make a commitment to eating real food and no processed sugar and also watch the fat. I don't think there is any other way you can do it. I know what all the diet docs say about fat and carbs, but I don't see this in bikini-land. We're all watching the fat, sugar and all are working out. We're doing all the stuff that Taubes and everyone else says doesn't result in weight loss. But it works.

I can't approve of eating sugared treats, not because of my diabetes, but because I know what it takes not to a fat person.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 20:56
Bouncy!

If I believed that I could lose 25 lbs (for me the difference between where I am and "slim") and keep it off by not eating sugar again ever, would I?

Interesting question.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 21:01

Plan: adkins
Stats: 217/148/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 121%

does anyone know if cheesecake factory still has lc cheesecake?