Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:12
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I've been on a berries and cream jag almost all summer-typically 1/2 c.

Once in a while I'll have it over 1/4 c all bran, mingled it's delicious and very filling.

The only grain I have to avoid is popcorn. I just can't stop with the stuff.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I often wonder if it is true that heroin is extracted from poppies. I wouldn't be surprised if it came from popcorn.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:24

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I don't consider watermelon to be a high sugar fruit. A cup of cantaloupe has more sugar in it than a cup of watermelon. That something that has puzzled me about some of the fruit lists -- watermelon has the same glycemic load as cantaloupe and a glycemic index that is nearly the same as cantaloupe yet cantaloupe is okay and watermelon isn't on a lot of lists.

I think cantaloupe has more fiber and I have recently read that watermelon's glycemic index is one of the highest. It is almost pure sugar.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

GI for watermelon: 72
GI for cantaloupe: 65
GL for both: 4.

Watermelon, 1 cup diced: carbs: 11.48, fiber 0.6, net 10.88
Cantaloupe, 1 cup diced: carbs: 12.73, fiber 1.4, net 11.33
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:35

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

"The glycemic load (GL) is a relatively new way to assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a fuller picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food's effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 inclusive is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low."

"Take, watermelon as an example of calculating glycemic load. Its glycemic index is pretty high, about 72. According to the calculations by the people at the University of Sydney's Human Nutrition Unit, in a serving of 120 grams it has 6 grams of available carbohydrate per serving, so its glycemic load is pretty low, 72/100*6=4.32, rounded to 4."

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:38
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I just combine foods to lessen the GI of any one of them. Whipped cream does work well.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 23:27
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Jumping in here - because I'm interested.

I'm probably *not* a moderate carb person at this point, but I have been upping my carb intake lately.

As to the question about grains and fruits...

No grains ever, but I can eat fruit every day and still lose weight. I have not had any problems with fruit, but I'm talking about one fruit serving (or less) per day. I don't seem to want to overeat fruit, and it's not triggering any cravings for me at all. Even the carb count of the particular fruit doesn't seem to matter much in terms of my weight loss (but no, I'm not having bananas). Portion size does count. Limiting fruit to one serving per day works well for me.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 23:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Jumping in here - because I'm interested.

I'm probably *not* a moderate carb person at this point, but I have been upping my carb intake lately.

As to the question about grains and fruits...

No grains ever, but I can eat fruit every day and still lose weight. I have not had any problems with fruit, but I'm talking about one fruit serving (or less) per day. I don't seem to want to overeat fruit, and it's not triggering any cravings for me at all. Even the carb count of the particular fruit doesn't seem to matter much in terms of my weight loss (but no, I'm not having bananas). Portion size does count. Limiting fruit to one serving per day works well for me.

I am forcing myself to eat several portions of fruit per day, partially because it is in season and I like to eat seasonally, but also to stall my weight loss a bit because I felt I was losing too fast. But I'm not superinterested - I really have to force it which really surprises me. It has wakened my appetite a bit helping me get more protein, but it hasn't caused the cravings I was getting last year at this time from eating fruit, even eating 4-5 full servings a day (one serving for me equals one peach or 2-3 ounce watermelon, etc.). And I'm still losing - just at a slower rate.

Janine