Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 11:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Do apes prefer cooked food?

Interesting blarticle!

http://www.mattmetzgar.com/matt_met...ooked-food.html

Quote:
Cooked Food

I have been reading through this brand-new paper on cooked food. An experiment tested whether great apes have a preference for cooked food. The result showed that there is a statisticially significant relationship with apes choosing cooked food over non-cooked food.

Why is this impotant? A major hypothesis is that humans first utilized fire for warmth, and then much later learned to use fire for cooking. This new research on apes suggests there was already a pre-existing preference for cooked food as humans evolved. This would mean that soon after fire was controlled by humans, cooking became prevalent.

The study shows that apes preferred both cooked meat and cooked vegetables over the non-cooked counterparts. This gives more support to the idea that cooked tubers were an important part of human evolution and the Paleolithic diet. Back in 1999, researchers proposed that cooked tubers played a bigger role than most thought. The new study on apes lends support to their hypothesis.

One small thing I was curious about was how apes would encounter any type of cooked food in the first place. The paper notes that chimpanzees prefer seeds that are heated from wild fires. This means that apes encountered cooked/heated food on a random basis, when fires on the savannah heated existing foods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 11:16
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Apes are not stupid. More calories for less effort. There is also a new paper floating about on tool-using, tuber-digging chimps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 264/239/190 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Apes are not stupid. More calories for less effort. There is also a new paper floating about on tool-using, tuber-digging chimps.

More calories for less effort made sense for millions of years. But these days McDonalds gives you way more calories for hardly any effort. And look what that has done for the average person! Apes are like people - their preferences will betray them when unhealthy foods are readily available.

I followed the link to the article but could only read an abstract. Couldn't find the full text. It did say they are using captive apes. Once researchers start shoving cooked food at captive apes they have introduced all kinds of hard to control variables. Have the apes ever had cooked food before? Are the apes conditioned to eat what their handlers give them? Do the food choices include the foods they ate in the wild or are they only foods they have seen in captivity?

If somebody were to sneak into the apes' native jungle and secretly stash some cooked food next to the apes' natural food and then watch and see which they preferred in their native environment it might be somewhat meaningful. But that would be a lot of work.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 17:41
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Apes prefer cooked foods, and so do we. I think our tastebuds are trying to tell us something, LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:43

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Dunno, that carpaccio I've been having lately tastes darn good!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

My hamster loves cooked brown rice too- but since I know that in the wild, hamsters would only be eating raw stuff, I keep it to an occasional treat- maybe 3-4 grains of cooked rice once a week. He gets raw grains and seeds daily.

Grains are good for him. He's a hamster. A low carb, high fat diet is NOT a good choice for hamsters! I, however, am a human being, and I prefer to eat like one.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

At least the anthros know how little evidence exists for Early Chef. The lay paleos really, really, really love the whole idea of cooking man. Since evidence is spare--spare enough not to make a difference--we might instead ponder why so many people are in love with the hope that cooking is older than we have any evidence for.

Now the blogger descends into magical thinking, as if the gods planned for people to eventually figure out cooking, and endowed them with a taste for boiled, baked and barbequed cuisine, so we could REALLY get into it once we did. And hey, now we find that once apes get smart enough to cook, they will love cooked food, too!

To what else are we predisposed? If we use the logic above, it follows that anything we do a lot of is predisposed. Now, I hope this knocks a big enough hole in the magical thinking for everyone here to start some more real thinking, but if not: IS anything we do a lot of, recently, predisposed?

What about smoking? Alcohol? Drugs? Television? Did we have a predisposition for television? We PREFER television, obviously. We PREFER to work eight hours a day. We PREFER to breathe polluted air. We PREFER to pour cement everywhere. We PREFER to destroy other species to our detriment. Do I sound dumb enough yet? Good.

I don't have time at the moment to pull the Wrangham study in question again (we've discussed this one before), but I remember my first question was: What were the test subjects eating before the study? Cooked food?

Wrangham has made and broken his career on anthropomorphizing. Anyone can speculate as well as he, but most of us don't have the disability of his obsolete training. He needs to spend less time ignoring current theory and more time disproving it. Hell, he needs to spend more time trying to disprove his OWN theory, but I understand that it is hard to disprove something for which there is no evidence.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 12:24
Dazed and Confused

BF:

The Early Chef makes evolutionary sense and is one of the hottest topics on the anthro lists right now. I have a lot of respect for Wrangham and his team at Harvard. Not exactly little-league brains.

Evidence of 1.5 million year old fire pits has been found (not published yet) and there is also the mole evidence.

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Mon, Jul-21-08 at 15:01.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
is one of the hottest topics on the anthro lists right now.

Yeah, the quality of the debate reminds me of aquatic ape and group selection debates. Or, ahem, demonic males debate.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 21:32

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

If the same experiment was done with my dogs then you'd get the same result. Proves squat.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 08:01
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms
If the same experiment was done with my dogs then you'd get the same result. Proves squat.

Does your dog prefer cooked human food to cooked dog food?

I find this piece of evidence more intriguing:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...imps-tools.html
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 08:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

My dogs prefer cooked (hard boiled) eggs to raw eggs. They greatly prefer the yolk to the white.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 09:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

From the National Geographic article
Quote:
Chimps are known to use potato-like tubers for the nutrients and then spit out wads of fiber.
That shows that fiber should not be eaten, just chewed and spit out like gum!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 09:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms

With your dog, I agree, it probably proves nothing. Most dogs were raised on cooked food and animals tend to prefer familiar foods. The interesting thing here is that these apes were not raised on cooked food.

Here's a Discovery article that goes into more detail that the first thing I posted: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/...-ape-taste.html

Quote:
In the first test, a group of chimps was offered a choice between raw and cooked carrots, sweet potatoes and white potatoes. The second test offered apes of each kind either cooked or raw cubed, mashed or grated carrots, since carrots came out as a chimp favorite in the first experiment.

For the third test, the apes were offered a choice between cooked or raw apple and cooked or raw beef. Finally, the researchers gave the Congo chimps, which had never eaten cooked food of any kind, a choice between cooked and raw beef.

All of the ape tasters preferred cooked over raw foods, with the exception of white potatoes and apples. In those instances, they demonstrated no preference between cooked or raw, perhaps because these items are easily chewed raw, and cooking them does not enhance their sweetness.

During the second experiment, designed to compare food textures, the apes turned their noses up to raw, grated carrots and showed that they strongly preferred the vegetable cooked and mashed.

"It is likely that the properties present in cooked foods are preferable to most mammals, as rats and cats have both been shown to prefer cooked food or cooked taste," Wobber said, adding that in the wild, chimpanzees will choose fire-toasted seeds over raw ones, a rare instance demonstrating how nature can sometimes act like a chef.

Other studies on great apes show they "tend to select foods based on nutritional content, with some indices of taste, in addition to potential visual or smell cues," she added.

For example, she explained, "wild primates will choose ripe over unripe fruit, potentially sensing that the ripe fruit is softer."
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 09:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
From the National Geographic article
That shows that fiber should not be eaten, just chewed and spit out like gum!

I think they would have enjoyed the tubers more if they were cooked.

Hunters and gatherers who eat a lot of fiber are healthy. Why should we not eat fiber?

I think the only reason for the anti-fiber sentiment is that is conflicts with a 100% protein diet.