Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks, I will check them out when I can get to the store.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 06:19

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Good luck with dealing with your pain. Check out the kombucha when you're at the store, too. You never know, it might help, too.

amanda
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-08, 12:22

BF:

The Lyrica my doctor gave me seems to beginning to help me some. I have only been on it for about three weeks.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-08, 17:35
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm glad to hear that, Sissy. Lyrica was first developed for diabetic neuropathy, so painful that even morphine doesn't help. Knock on wood that I haven't had that problem. With the swimming and Lyrica you could feel substantially better soon.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-08, 17:41

Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Have you tried vitamin E? People on high fat diets (high in polyunsaturated fats--oemga6/omega3) have a higher vitamin E requirement than other people. Also, there are early studies showing vitamin E supplementation helps fibro.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 22:18

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Can I chime in..I didn't get a chance to look over every post here, but I always saw great results with Malic and Magnesium.

Ethical Nutrients has a great one, but Solaray has one as well.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 11:28

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

try magnesium oil applied topically. It is supposedly the best absorbed.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 11:31

BF:

I am still taking my Lyrica for it and it seems to be helping some.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 14:37

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I realized i didn't come back and say that my Vit D level was quite a bit higher than normal (can't remember now...actually saw the figures tho), so no worries there.

But when I once again got rid of all dairy and all grain (even hints of it) and all beer (even sorghum), and all legumes, my fibro and joint pain once again magically disappeared.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 14:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I've found the same thing about gluten, legumes, and dairy products being fibro triggers for me. After carefully testing individual foods, I've found that I can tolerate fermented soy in small amounts (using tamari as a condiment is fine; a tofu-based meal is not), butter is OK, I can have goat or sheep milk products in small portions occasionally, and I'm fine with potatoes and gluten-free grain products in moderation.

I also take B vitamins, cod liver oil, vitamin C, vitamin E, and extra magnesium daily.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 198/168/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I dont like to just jump in and offer advice....oh...who am i kidding??? LOL has anyone suffering from fibromyalgia or arthritis checked out the knowthecause.com website? Doug Kaufman has some awesome advice/knowledge that he shares with people. He uses food as a medicine and some natural supplements....olive leaf extracts etc....this fights yeasts/fungus in our bodies that is basically the root of these problems......hope this helps.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 21:43

Stats: 223/191/135 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibro Pain

For me, the pain level decreases as I remind myself to manage it myself. By that I mean, that the more aware I am of "taking care of myself" that I become, the lower the pain. I find that proper sleep patterns, not rushing myself, and watching my stress level does wonders in managing the pain. I take my meds correctly, get plenty of sleep, and "try" not to get stressed out. Currently I am on Arthritec, once daily, Ed-flex, twice to three times daily, and take Ambien to sleep. I also take Lexapro for the stress.
I have had Fibro for about 14 years and have at one time or the other been on about all meds ever recomended for Fibro. I did try Lyrica, but did not have much relief from it and it also caused rapid fluid retention.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 18:22

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 206/196/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was diagnosed just over a year ago with fibro. I am also vit D deficient, and am taking high vit cod liver oil. I don't take calcium and magnesium, but I have heard that it's very helpful. That might be my next step. The cod liver oil, as well as eliminating all inflammatories, has been GREAT. I feel so much better not eating any grains, sugar, or dairy. Dairy seems to be a pretty big aggravating factor for me. I also have to exercise on a regular basis. I'm looking into www.crossfit.com for fucntional training. I also do yoga, although I think I need to do it daily and I haven't been.

With all of these things, I feel so much better, am not on medication (and am off all but one asthma med) and I function on a pretty high level. Better than i have for years!
Good luck!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 18:38
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My sister suffers from fibromyalgia. She has found some relief with medical marijuana. I don't know if you have that option in Florida. It is the only thing that has had an effect on her pain and nausea. Before that she tried narcotics, antidepressants, nutritional supplements, etc., without any of them helping. Marinol is a drug made from marijuana for nausea sufferers during cancer treatment. I'm sorry, I didn't look to see if nausea is even one of your symptoms. Anyway, just thought I'd share what works for my sister. I know by watching my sister how debilitating and exhausting fibromyalgia can be. Take care.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 19:38

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothnkbhnd
high vit cod liver oil. I don't take calcium and magnesium, but I have heard that it's very helpful. That might be my next step.

You are mindful of the not getting too much Vit A, I hope. And if you do start taking calcium and magnesium, make sure the magnesium you take is an absorbable kind. Magnesium malate is often recommended for fibro. On that one, note that the amount of elemental magnesium is usualy quite low, so adjust accordingly with calcium. Other well absorbed forms of magnesium include magnesium taurate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium orotate, magnesium citrate. Soaking in an Epsom salt bath is also another way to get magnesium, as that's magnesium sulfate.