Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 09:34
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default A new animal fasting study

A new animal fasting study

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7453516.stm

Quote:
He said the results made sense from an evolutionary standpoint, as hunter-gatherers may have had a survival advantage in remaining calm and collected in times of hunger in order for them to successfully find food.
Yes, its just one of the many benefits those of us who practice intermittent fasting know well. The enhanced physical health, mental focus and energy give us an advantage in our life without undue sacrifice.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 16:02

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Major mini-goal met!

I posted this in Milestones, but I have successfully made it into the 180s. (Three days in a row, before I would call it official.)

This is the lowest I've weighed in my adult life, aside from once in the 1990s, when taking rx diet pills.

This is the least I've weighed even on innumerable Atkins/Lowcarb attempts.

I could not have done this without IF. It was the key to getting my appetite under control.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 19:28
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

IF really is great for appetite control, isn't it? It's easier than trying to limit calories all day, that's for sure.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 19:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Heya... I just wanted to drop by since it has been ages since I visited an IF thread. I stopped for a while due to emotional eating issues (yes, I know I really need to deal with that) but I have been IFing for a while now and I really feel so much better again. Just saying hi and I will be around this thread more too.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 20:01

Plan: If, fast 5, warrior diet
Stats: 178/174/143 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 11%

hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 14:09

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've been trying to do IF (Fast 5) for about a month and a half. I've had a hard time sticking to it - some days I don't even think about food until late in the afternoon, but other days I'm just hungry all the time. I'm a SAHD; on days when I'm not with the kids, fasting is a breeze, but when I have to take care of them my energy plummets. If I have an empty stomach I find myself on a very short fuse. Some days I eat just to keep myself from yelling at them. I spend a lot of time sitting around conserving my energy. It's funny because when I do trapeze (not with the kids) I don't feel hungry at all.

It's nice to hear that so many people can get on fasting autopilot, but... how do you get there?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-08, 20:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've been trying to do IF (Fast 5) for about a month and a half. I've had a hard time sticking to it - some days I don't even think about food until late in the afternoon, but other days I'm just hungry all the time. I'm a SAHD; on days when I'm not with the kids, fasting is a breeze, but when I have to take care of them my energy plummets. If I have an empty stomach I find myself on a very short fuse. Some days I eat just to keep myself from yelling at them. I spend a lot of time sitting around conserving my energy. It's funny because when I do trapeze (not with the kids) I don't feel hungry at all.

It's nice to hear that so many people can get on fasting autopilot, but... how do you get there?

What are you eating? Are you eating enough? How much sleep are you getting?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-08, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
What are you eating? Are you eating enough? How much sleep are you getting?

You can see details for a couple days in my journal, though I'm a bit slack about counting quantities. I generally eat until I'm not hungry, but there are times when I can't figure out what would hit the spot. I get very specific hunger sometimes and occasionally I can't find anything that will satisfy it. Also, sometimes I get so many interruptions and delays (I'm a SAHD) that it takes me 7 or 8 hours to eat as much as I really wanted to.

I'm maybe a little short on sleep, but not a lot.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 15:57
Grease is the word!

I think some of the focus or in the moment clarity of mind when fasting occurs because the right side of the brain becomes more dominant and attention to detail and senses are sharper. It may be a food finding adaptation or a state attainable in other ways. I just read an interesting article about a brain scientist that had a stroke affecting the left side of her brain and she explains how the two halves control our perceptions of reality. It is fascinating:
Quote:
According to Taylor, the world we live in doesn't emphasize a balance of the left and right sides of the brain. "We are in a very left hemisphere dominated society," she said. "We reward our children for their left hemisphere skills." The right hemisphere, she says, is "an experience of deep internal peace that is just phenomenal, and to think that we all have that right there, right there in the consciousness of the right mind. To me that was the insight, it was I can have this experience of nirvana and bliss… And we are all perfect and whole and beautiful simply because we are."

Taylor says anyone can consciously go to that part of the brain, comparing it to how everyone detaches and relaxes while on vacation. "It's an awareness," she said. "First, I think, it's an awareness and then a practice and a discipline."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=5226183&page=2
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 19:28

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:

I started out by skipping breakfast and drinking plenty of water....eating two meals a day....then CAD type meal...balanced with protein, fat, carb, etc... At first I get headaches if I haven't done it for a while...and I definitely have to stay away from artifical sweeteners or otherwise I am hungry all day long....can't use those unless I am eating something with it....

Hope you find the right mix for you...

TJ
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 11:33
Grease is the word!

Yesterday I had a dental appointment so I skipped breakfast then I went shopping. About noon I got quite hyngry and was still starving after about 1PM while walking around town. I stopped at a dollar store and bought a bag of pumpkin seeds from China, these are similar to sunflower kernels but not as heavy-- those and some water lasted me till dinner at 6PM and I feel fine this morning and I didn't gain any weight.

When at home if I get extremely famished I have coffee with a little cream and coconut oil-- that really does the trick without any of the side effects eating solid foods can cause. I also used this trick when I had to do a full 2 day fast before a GI optical exam.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 07:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/242/210 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Lu
Here are a couple of links from a blog by a trainer who advocates low carb IF:

Intermittent Fasting 101
IF Q&A

Hey Mama Lu thx for the links, some good reading there.

BF
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
I started out by skipping breakfast and drinking plenty of water....eating two meals a day....then CAD type meal...balanced with protein, fat, carb, etc...

What's CAD?

This weekend everyone else was sick, and I ate all day so I wouldn't be distracted by hunger. Yesterday I had no problem fasting till about 3PM, and was reasonably satisfied by around 8.

Today, however, I was starving in the morning and had a small plum-like fruit from a nearby tree, a couple egg yolks, macademia nuts and coconut yogurt for breakfast.

I seem to be developing two different kinds of hunger: One just means I haven't eaten in a while, but I don't feel like I need to do anything about it. The other means I'm STARVING.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 12:26
Grease is the word!

Quote:
I seem to be developing two different kinds of hunger: One just means I haven't eaten in a while, but I don't feel like I need to do anything about it. The other means I'm STARVING.
That's the way it has been with me-- yesterday I awoke hungry and it lasted all day so I ate early. I did both biking and weights the day before-- I also had a protein shake. I am doing the same workouts today so ill see how I go tomorrow.

If I am out during the day shopping I can usually pass by the free food samples handed out even though I sometimes feel like eating them. Often I feel famished an hour or two before dinner, but when the time finally comes I am not that hungry.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 06:57

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default 209.3 -0.02lbs 75.9%

Yesterday's stats (Mon.):
000g carb
000g prot
000g fat
0000 calories

water

Total weight change = -3.79 Bowling Balls = 243 sticks of butter .... gone!!!
...............remaining = -1.52 Bowling Balls = 097 sticks of butter

Day 416 (of IF 72hrs/12hrs
Weight change rates follow:
-0.06 = lbs/day (0.2 buttersticks/day)
-0.40 = lbs/wk (1.6 buttersitcks/wk)
-01.7 = lbs/mo (6.9 buttersticks/mo)
r2=0.444 (linear regression coefficient)

feel ok, slept ok
Closed Thread