Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 07:42

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, Pam! Everyone is welcome here!

Off the top of my head, it looks like you're not getting enough protein. From the numbers you gave us, it looks like you're only eating 60 to 70 grams of protein per day. I see you're over 200 pounds, so that's pretty low. There are many protein calculators out there (see above synopsis), but the one in Protein Power LIfeplan is a good start.

According to your weight and height, you should be getting a minimum of 40 grams per meal, or 120 grams per day. You're getting just over half what you should be getting.

On the other hand, there are calculators out there that will give you a lower number (and a higher number).

Here's the link to the original thread for high-fatting: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=369107

You can skim through pretty fast and see what people are eating.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 07:44

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Yeah good job Bawdy -

there is also another site that has quite a bit of info on high-fatting (you don't have to pay now to read it) - bantadiet.com - it has some good tips including explaning the ketogenic fat burning index.

Also, there is an office document you can download from ketogeniclifestyles group on yahoo groups (I think - or is it google - one or the other anyway) - for this you do have to subscribe to the group but at least it's free! The office document lets you punch in your grams of fat, protein and carb and tells you what your 'fat burning index is' - basically anything above '1.5' will ensure that you are able to burn body fat and that none will get stored - anything under that needs portion control.

It's fun to play around with, and it's not as simple as just eating lots of fat. Basically the higher the carbs eaten, the more fat needs to be eaten to keep the fat burning channel going. Protein is good as in protein + fat gives a high fat burning index. However, too much protein with not enough fat lowers the number too much.

Anyway it's a lot of fun. It was developed for epileptic kids on ketogenic diets originally but is very good for ensuring fat burning continues at an optimum for ketogenic dieters. I use it all the time now.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Pamlynn, The only thing I can suggest is to up the fat a bit. That can be difficult because you're already eating over 70% but it is worth the try. It has also been suggested here to balance the fatrotein ratio throughout the day. Watch for trigger foods that cause stalls also-dairy, nuts, etc. Hope this helps,
Anne

Note caveat at start!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 08:26

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Good morning. Well as I suspected, PMS water weight gain is here. I guess I'll wait about ten days and then check the scale again. And just when I ws moving right along.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 08:36

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thanks guys for the welcome and adivse. I had a feeling I wasn't getting enough protein and an attempt to remedy this, I sometimes drink Whey protein. But I read here that we should only count animal protein. So I should try to eat rather than drink my protein? It's just that I get full so quickly, which I have always looked at as a plus - but not on this WOE (question)?

I promise I will do my own research, but just need some help getting started - I want to do this right.

Last edited by pamlynn : Fri, May-09-08 at 08:58.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 10:10

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi! I tried my dessert concoction last night (see previous thread) with the Torani choc. syrup, but I think it's better with Linda Sue's choc. syrup recipe (mixed with nuts and a pat of butter, warmed up).

I got on the scale this morning, after a week of lf-ing, and was a bit disappointed to see that I'm down by only 2 lbs. Keep at it I guess, maybe next week will be better.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 10:22

Plan: conivore
Stats: 183/155/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey all! I have been following this thread for awhile and trying to do the HF thing but my problem is I am a pig. I can not seem to eat less than 2200 calories a day and I have not lost any weight. If someone would please look at my foods and give me some advice I would really appreicate it. I have not liste what I will be eating all day because I have not planned my dinner yet. I do not have access to the net at home so I usally do not list my food intake for Sat. and Sun. but I am going to start next week.
Thanks for any input and I want you to know that I think you all ROCK!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 12:27

BF:

Pam, feel free to ask any questions you like. We'll all jump in with ideas. When I suggested you look through the other site, it's only because people have been posting what they eat for a while now, and it's easy to go back through to get a good idea. I wasn't at all suggesting that we won't answer questions and that you should look elsewhere. We're all here for you, as you will be for us!

I use whey protein also. Whey is from milk/cream, and milk/cream is from a cow, and last time I checked cows were animals, so I think you're ok with whey!

Anywaym those are just guidelines, not rules. I don't drink it every day, but it sure comes in handy when I'm rushed! If you read back through the first thread, you'll see that I drink cream like it's going out of style! Breakfast often consists of 6 ounces of cream for me!

Tish, you're frustrated because you only lost 2 pounds last week? I'D BE FREAKIN' ECSTATIC IF I LOST 2 POUNDS A WEEK! Be happy! You're trending in the right direction!

Sincker, I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to look at your menus and give you maybe some ideas. None of us are experts, but we'll take a look. Remember, too, that everyone is different. If you look at the menus and numbers (calories, fat, carb, and protein grams) for each of us, you'll see wide variations. And yet, for the most part, things are working for us.

The hardest part is figuring out what works best for yourself.

Hang in there!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 12:46

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Bawdy Thanks again for your response and Yeah for Whey! Just don't think I can get enough protein without it. I thought when I cut out the junk, it would leave more room in my tummy for the good stuff - and it has, but I still get full in a hurry. Oh, and I LOVE cream too. Mixed some cream, glutamine and xyitol for times when I want something sweet and it tastes like ice cream.

I love reading through the different threads, so I wasn't put off by what you said at all. I've gotten some fantastic info by doing this and I will certainly look back through the previous one.

Thanks loads!!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 12:50

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Snicker, I've found that using a digital kitchen scale has helped me to get my calories down. I weigh everything. It really helps with portion sizes a lot, and has been a great tool for me. The other thing that has helped in getting my calories down has been making getting my protein serving (right now the 34 g of protein per meal as recommended in PPLP) as the center of each meal - and then working the fat and carbs around that. It has dropped my fat to more like 70% (where I was closer to 80% before), but that's okay. As for carbs, as long as I focus on those carbs being really good quality - veggies or berries, then they just aren't going to add a whole lot of calories anyway. My calories are around 1600-1800 a day - I can lose on that, particularly with exercise. HTH.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 13:37

BF:

We're having sandwich day here at work, and I was really good! I got one slice each of turkey, ham, and roast beef, some cheese, mayo, Dijon, dill pickles, and black olives, and had roll-ups. Tasty. (And then for dessert, Linda Sue choc. syrup with nuts and a pat of butter. ) That will be a little later.

I mentioned before that I was disappointed in only a 2-lb. drop on the scale this morning. I should also mention that I can feel a big difference in my size, like I'm quite a bit smaller. It's a good feeling. So I shouldn't be griping.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 15:52

BF:

Tish , you did so good-way to go with sandwich fixings. Sometimes this woe is so far from a diet I feel guilty. Well done on the 2 lb loss. Anne
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 16:08

BF:

Thank you Anne! We'll see what happens on weigh in next Fri. In the meantime, loving my whipped cream!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-10-08, 06:14

BF:

Morning, Ladies! Yesterday was a bit off plan, but so be it. All I had all day long was 6 oz of cream, 1 Rev roll with butter, and 2 slices of bacon. Dinner was a filet mignon with butter, the last Rev roll with butter, and the last two glasses of wine. Then I had 4 cookies. Sheesh. This is what wine does to me. So, no more wine. There's no more in the house, and I won't be buying any more.

Onward and upward. No looking back.

By the way, I used to do a high-fat thread a while back. Here's the link, if anyone is interested: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=288448

Don't post to that link, because it's old. Let's put all our posts here.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-10-08, 14:35

BF:

Bawdy, it looks like a really good thread that I'll read later. We're fixing to go out.
So you have a lot of experience with hf. The last two days I've added ozs. to my weight and don't know why it isn't moving downward still. I read your intro to the other thread and think I may need to increase calories-I've been keeping them down b/c the weight was going down the last couple of weeks and now it's stopped. I hate to over concentrate on this but lc always worked well (and fast) in the past.