Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 18:37

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
I made a batch tonight ... I'd held off because I don't have a food processor or blender and those were what everyone suggested be used. Thank you Oak for trying your stick blender! Works like a dream.

I used 1/2 cup hazelnut oil and 1/2 cup EVOO. I'll have to taste it tomorrow - I can't stand warm mayo so I put in the fridge to chill.

My mayo was delicious! A distinctive flavor - can't quite pinpoint it but it was delicious!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdryad
I was saddened to see that my favorite mayo, Hellman's, is now using soybean oil.
Urg... I'm not supposed to have soy, and I have 6 big jars of Hellmans in storage.

So far I haven't noticed any reaction, though I have been using quite a bit. Usually soy products make me very uncomfortable. I might have to start making my own too, and use up the storage some other way.

Any suggestions for a light oil which is not nut, bean or legume based?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/318.5/180 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

The more I read this thread the closer I get to making my own mayo. I do have a question though....

How long will it keep on average? Also, what is your prefered method to mix it? A Blender, mixer, processor?

Thanks so much!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

"Light" olive oil such as Bertolli light.

Your issue with soy *may* be a protein, in which case the oil shouldn't bother you. I wondered about people with casein intolerance and ghee, which is clarified butter, and at least NancyLC who has a casein intolerance can use ghee without problems.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 08:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
"Light" olive oil such as Bertolli light.
I maybe should have been more specific, I meant "light tasting", or not strongly flavored.

Quote:
Your issue with soy *may* be a protein
Yeah, I'm not one of those who think you can be "allergic" to things which aren't really protein. I do wonder if it's an allergy or if it is an irritant that's bothering me. Probably an allergy, but I am so fed up with allergy Drs that I will probably never know.

When I go shopping tomorrow I will look around... too bad you can no longer open bottles, sniff, and then put it back on the shelf if you don't like the smell.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 18:55

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Any suggestions for a light oil which is not nut, bean or legume based?

I use grapeseed oil a lot, because it is so neutral tasting and great for high heat cooking. HTH!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 23:30

Well, I made my second batch of mayo tonight - but I didn't have anything other than the Extra Light tasting OliveOil. It actually doesn't taste bad - I was expecting something horrible based on what others have said about the taste with EVOO - but then I don't know if there is a difference between EVOO and what I used. The stuff I used doesn't say anywhere that it is Extra Virgin ... so maybe that is the difference?

Anyway - the type of oil used is definitely a YMMV thing.

I think I preferred the first batch - 1/2 OO and 1/2 hazlenut oil.

I'm going to keep experimenting.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-12-08, 21:09

Plan: Combination LC / Paleo
Stats: 205/194/170 Male 71.5 inches
BF:25%/23%/15%
Progress: 31%

Just curious why everyone doesn't like soybean or canola oil? Obviously Olive Oil is the way to go in most cases, but I'm curious.

Is it the ratio of fats (poly/mono)? The ratio of Omegas?

I WAS a little shocked when I punched in a tuna-salad recipe I use and the Omega-6's were HUGE.

From my understanding you want mostly 3's, right? What about the 9's?

Mmm... I should look closer at the mayos I guess. I make tuna salad once a week and use mayo in my dips and other things.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 04:57

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric
Just curious why everyone doesn't like soybean or canola oil? Obviously Olive Oil is the way to go in most cases, but I'm curious.
Is it the ratio of fats (poly/mono)? The ratio of Omegas?
I WAS a little shocked when I punched in a tuna-salad recipe I use and the Omega-6's were HUGE.
From my understanding you want mostly 3's, right? What about the 9's?

From Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden: "To be used commercially, [canola oil] has to be partially hydrogenated, refined, and deodorizedm and in the process its O-3s become a potent source of trans-fatty acids. If you do use it, make sure to get organic, cold- or expeller-pressed canola oil, and only use it cold."

From Dr. Andrew Weil's website: "Omega 3 fatty acids are prevalent in fatty tissues of fish, and to a lesser extent in a plant- based sources such as walnuts and flaxseeds - in other words, they are fairly rare commodities in the standard American diet. Conversely, omega 6 fatty acids are the type prevalent in most vegetable oils, particularly soybean oil. Incredibly, production of soybean oil for food consumption in the U.S. has risen 1,000-fold from 1909 to 1999, and is part of virtually every fried or processed food Americans eat.

.....The problem with too little omega 3 vs. omega 6 is that "the enzymes that process it are very promiscuous," said Dr. Hibbeln, meaning they will build cell membranes out of either kind of fat. Cell membranes "stuffed" with omega 6 fatty acids are associated with inflammation and almost every negative physical and mental health outcome one can name: heart disease, diabetes and mental disorders of all kinds, he said."

HTH!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 16:21

Plan: Combination LC / Paleo
Stats: 205/194/170 Male 71.5 inches
BF:25%/23%/15%
Progress: 31%

YIKES! Inflammation is definitely something I want to avoid. Thanks Debbie!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 11:15

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 214.8/167.4/170 Female 5ft 6in
BF:restart 4/14-215
Progress: 106%

I figured out a trick to get the oil in very slowly, without losing my patients. I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of a Solo cup, just big enough for the oil to drizzle out. I set the cup on top of the blender over the hole in the cover and let it drain while the blender was on low(and I did other stuff). The last little bit, I had to pour in slowly, but that was a lot better then standing there and pour all of it in slowly. The mayo was nice and thick and I even got the flavor the way I like it, finally. If anyone is interested I could post my recipe.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:

I'm getting ready to try homemade mayo so I would love to see your recipe!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 12:47

Plan: Optimal Ketogenic Living
Stats: 214.8/167.4/170 Female 5ft 6in
BF:restart 4/14-215
Progress: 106%

I have a set of tiny measuring spoons: smidgen, pinch and dash.
1 Dash=.14 tsp so a little more then 1/8 tsp
1 Pinch=.07 tsp
1 Smidgen=.04 tsp

I have tried it with Light Olive Oil and it was OK. Then I tried it with Light Olive Oil and Flaxseed Oil(it's all I had), but the flaxseed flavor was too strong for me. I also tried it with ACV but I didn't like that either. This time I used peanut oil because it's cheap and white vinegar.

Kitten’s Mayo

2 eggs (room temp)
1 ¼ C peanut oil
1 tbl white vinegar
2 tsp Lemon juice
1 pinch garlic powder
2 pinch onion powder
1 smidgen paprika
1 pinch salt
2 pinch Nusalt

Put the room temp eggs in the blender and stir (lowest speed)
Put the oil in a Solo cup with a hole drilled in the bottom so the oil comes out in a tiny stream. Set the cup on top of the blended with the oil drizzling into the blender. Turn the blender on lowest setting. When it gets thick add the vinegar and lemon juice. When the oil is gone add the rest of the ingredients. It makes about 12.3 oz or 350g.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 14:42

1 egg
1 cup of oil (I use Very Light Tasting Olive Oil)
Mustard to taste
enough vinegar or lemon juice to keep the mixer mixing once emulsification starts

I just saw Saffron oil at the store - has anybody used this particular oil? What's it taste like?